sharetrader
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is my kind of thread now that my gambling, speccy days are behind me. I'm buying a portfolio of dividend yielding NZX stocks in sectors that I like. One company per month, timed to qualify for the upcoming dividend round. So far:
    January - SKC
    February - AIR
    March - AIA
    I need some exposure to the retirement sector. I do work with RYM, SUM and OCA and they are all totally different beasts, so I'm not which horse to jump on first.

Welcome back Serpie. Cant recall how long you have been away. But as a benchmark I have "Portfolio 1" which has increased in value 347% (excluding dividends) in the past 9 years. This is my "set and forget" portfolio. I was out of the market and basically left these shares to do their own thing. It has the shares you mention in it - except AIR. I used to own AIR. Bought back in the day when it was going bust. Bought a few days before govt decided to bail it out so it was extremely cheap. Sold sometime later for massive gain. Havent been back in since. Old saying "How do you get $5,000 of airline stocks in your portfolio? Start with $10,000". That hasnt applied to AIR recently but I am ethically opposed to their giving blanket bonuses to all staff. I see this as shareholder theft and I wont buy because of that.

I have SKC. Ethically a little torn with that one. Tax on the poor and taking money from the foolish (with respect to your goodself). But I figure since no one is holding a gun to punters heads I reckon the house will always do better than the punter so a sure bet for portfolio inclusion.

I have AIA. A monopoly property company. Its a no-brainer.

I also have RYM. I'm up something like 2,000% (excluding dividends) with that buy. Happy with the way it is tracking so wont buy any more.

In Portfolio One also sits Contact, Chorus, Freightways, Spark and Tourism Holdings. I used to have Sky TV but binned them a while back. Appalling management.

I wanted something more aggressive and active for the next five years. Hence this thread and Portfolio Two. Which has SUM rather than RYM

Quote Originally Posted by thestg View Post
    First are the 8 I am holding:
    IFT
    MEL
    MPG
    OCA
    SCL
    SUM
    THL
    TIL
    And the last 2 which I am not holding at the moment
    AIR
    HLG
    I am looking to add HLG soon closer to div time & am always considering AIR.
    Oh how things change. I thought my portfolio wouldn’t change much over the year but it has changed quite a lot.

IFT Collected divs & sold out gradually over 10 months. 22% return

MEL Collected divs & sold out gradually over 6 months. 1.5% returns

MPG Held for 6 months & sold out with 33.06% Loss (bought at $1.12 then bought more at $1.355, Sold out at $0.99)

OCA Held for last 8 months & added more in Jan & Feb 16.85% gain

SCL Held since June 2017 but sold down by 50% in March. 12.8% gain

THL Held 12 months but sold out when correction happened due to stop-loss 46.33% return.

TIL Held from June till Nov 28.38% loss

HLG Added 27/9/17. Collected divs & still holding 64.34% gain

ATM Added Nov, Dec, Feb & Mar (yesterday) 24.77% gain

SPK Added 20 Feb 2.0% gain

DISC: Holdings now as % of my portfolio are ATM 22.24%, HLG 38.46%, OCA 16.25%, SCL 5.28%, SPK 15.28%, Cash 2.49%

nice little summary stg. looks like you've done very well with some nice gains there!

current portfolio looks a little lopsided now, but all good eh mate.

hopefully those pink and purple flamingo beach shorts stay in fashion - stay nimble on that one

Thanks MM. Away for about 9 years. I was concentrating on my own business rather than other people's ones. Much better returns.
    I agree with your thoughts on SKC. I'm applying similar principles to RBD which I will add soon. Gambling and takeaways - there will always be a market for both.
    I like AIR because I spend money with them.
    The retirement sector has to be included. Unless we see a very radical change in social policy then aged care is not going to become obsolete. Any technology, Telco or energy stock is open to disruption. Sky TV is a great example. How long did that market take to evolve and make Sky a dinosaur? 18 months from Netflix arriving in NZ to now cutting it's throat?

If I can compound 10-15% per annum from the including dividends then I'm a happy camper. Little and often. It's not sexy but hopefully it's sustainable.

Thank you to all for sharing potential opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Excellent collaboration! Today is 4 month anniversary of setting up new portfolio and it hits 25% increase - excluding dividends. I just love these milestones.
    And a week later I hit my December 2020 target with a close of business today gain of 30.3% = still excluding dividends. In just 4 months.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

And a week later I hit my December 2020 target with a close of business today gain of 30.3% = still excluding dividends. In just 4 months.
    Looks like you deserve your Guru status minimoke!

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    Looks like you deserve your Guru status minimoke!
    With some guidance!

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

With some guidance!
    And a modest Guru as well! Nice

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    And a modest Guru as well! Nice
    Get real, 'status' as you put it ... being member, advanced member, guru, legend .. etc, here has nothing to do with prowess. It's just a count of how many posts members make. So make a few thousand posts RupertBear and you'll be a guru as well. Which goes for anyone else as well.

No disrespect intended to those who are bonafide guru's or legends who generously post here, or MM in particular who has shared openly some thoughtful decisions and is doing very well from it, by his/her account.