sharetrader
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Top 10 NZX Picks

Heres your chance to spend someone else's money.

I'm going to set up another portfolio. Heres the criteria. Must be NZX. Be conservative to semi aggressive and offer some cash to pay the bills. So what are your picks (and this wont be taken as financial advice!). I'll be taking 10 and will update as the buys are made.

Antiquated & irrational t.rexjr's Avatar

10 is actually quite hard with most that fit your criteria being near top of value
    I hold 4 of these. Maybe 5 soon

ARV
    ATM
    AWF
    FLI
    FPH
    HBL
    MCK
    RBC
    THL
    TIL (wait for bottom)

percy

........................................PE ratio....................dividend yield..............today's share price.
    AWF....................................14.17...... ...................6.33%.........................$ 2.56
    HBL.....................................14.82..... ....................4.95%......................... $1.82
    HLG......................................11.44.... ....................10.03%........................ $3.09
    MEL.......................................38.17... .....................6.34%........................ .$2.935
    NZM.....................................4.76...... ....................11.05%........................ .....86 cents
    OCA...guessing.......................12........... ................3.5% to 4.55.......................96 cents
    PGW.....................................9.6....... .....................6.38%........................ .......58 cents
    SCL......................................14,41.... .....................5.26%........................ ...$3.42
    THL......................................17.42.... ......................4.47%....................... ....$4.47
    TRA......................................13.17.... ......................4.32%....................... .....$3.36
    NB.I no longer hold AWF,HLG,NZM , PGW,or SCL,although I am a trustee of a trust, which still does,except for SCL.
    I therefore hold five stocks.HBL,MEL,OCA,THL and TRA.MEL I brought at issue.I think every portfolio should have one power company,and as they are my power supplier I am happy to hold.Have always decided against buying more of them,as their pE is too high.
    Last edited by percy; 13-09-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Air
    Thl
    Fre
    Mft
    Skc
    Rym
    Vgl
    Cbl
    Only got 8, sorry

I guess if you're looking to spread, which I guess you are, since 10 is a lot. I would suggest some banks. Also bad time to be buying. Anyway, my picks for things to watch (to buy lower):

ATM aggressive, too expensive
    FPH aggressive, too expensive
    RBD pricy but about fair, slightly expensive
    ANZ. Can be cheaper but fair
    WBC. As above
    VHP conservative, growth
    Thl cyclical, good dividend.
    SCL bad buying at the moment, but I've to watch
    SUM, good buying once labour get in. Expect a painful labour, brings good buying opportunities for the long haul.
    Hbl, growth bank.

The only thing I'd be buying at the moment is SUM, but only if I believed that national were going to get in... And I don't. I'll be buying more when labor get in, providing I can ditch my ebo at the right price. Ebo is another safe bet, tiny growth, ok dividend, fair price at the moment if you HAVE to buy something.

Advanced Member

Suggest include one high risk penny stock with possibility of a big payday. Like BLT, CRP, PIL.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    since 10 is a lot.
    10 does seem a lot but its a number I think will works well. In my early Equiticopr type/Judgecorp days I only had a few shares and did quite well out of them. Luck really as had to sell to buy property. Did no work just enjoyed the ride up.

Then I started to get a bit more cash and tried picking individual stocks. Not quite a day trader, did OK but found I was spending a lot of time daily on analysis and the gains were fine until I took the eye off the ball on some of the riskier ones and took a bath on occasion.

My own portfolio has 10 shares long held (it could have been 11 or 9 so not a magic number) and I have found it works much better as a set and forget type portfolio. I don't have to worry on a daily basis as I have stop losses (eg SKY) I keep an eye out of interest and do the analysis each month. It enables me to ride the individual highs and lows but the overall trend has been up

Interestingly of the companies listed so far on this thread only a few are in Portfolio One. This is going to be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Suggest include one high risk penny stock with possibility of a big payday. Like BLT, CRP, PIL.
    My Risk Fairy is chewing my ear so I might just have to do this. With 10 companies I can ride some turbulence.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post

The only thing I'd be buying at the moment is SUM, but only if I believed that national were going to get in... .
    Shopping starts post election. I'm in no hurry. Though there may be one or two that look too good to resist on the 22nd

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Shopping starts post election. I'm in no hurry. Though there may be one or two that look too good to resist on the 22nd
    MPG ... I'm buying some as soon as capital frees up!