sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S&P 500 (Smartshares)

Hi all, due to the difficulty now opening up a overseas account. Re: smartshares there is a 0.35% charge. If I buy this with ASB that is possible right, is there a fee charge still?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rayonline View Post
    Hi all, due to the difficulty now opening up a overseas account. Re: smartshares there is a 0.35% charge. If I buy this with ASB that is possible right, is there a fee charge still?

Cheers.
    Yes I believe so, smartshare take their cut after vangard take theirs. So its actually more like 0.35+0.04. - I don't think there is a better way in NZ?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FIsaver View Post
    Yes I believe so, smartshare take their cut after vangard take theirs. So its actually more like 0.35+0.04. - I don't think there is a better way in NZ?
    Can you not buy the Vanguard instrument directly on the ASX though? I see you cannot, however Vanguard do offer the Total US market (VTS) at .05% of a fee and another product (Code SPY) is a S&P exchange traded index.

http://www.asx.com.au/products/etf/m...oduct-list.htm

There are a number of Vanguard ETFs that you can buy on the asx via ASB online?
    https://static.vgcontent.info/crp/intl/auw/docs/performance/ETFPerformanceSummary.pdf
    also ishares
    https://www.blackrock.com/au/individ...C43624%7C43632

Just pay the usual ASB transaction fee

I believe you can also buy this stock (and others) directly via Halifax in NZ, and only pay the brokerage fees (perhaps someone could confirm this).

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Can you not buy the Vanguard instrument directly on the ASX though? I see you cannot, however Vanguard do offer the Total US market (VTS) at .05% of a fee and another product (Code SPY) is a S&P exchange traded index.

http://www.asx.com.au/products/etf/m...oduct-list.htm
    Are you talking about ASB Securities and their fees as at: www.asb.co.nz/asb-securities/rates-and-fees.html

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by NZT View Post
    Are you talking about ASB Securities and their fees as at: www.asb.co.nz/asb-securities/rates-and-fees.html
    No I am talking about buying the vanguard product on the ASX. If you wish to use ASB, ANZ, First NZ Capital, Craigs or any other broker that is your choice.

It's pretty easy to get an Interactive Brokers account - I use these to buy Vanguard ETFs on the NYSE. Low transaction charges (but a USD10 monthly charge if you hold less than USD100,000).

Quote Originally Posted by kiwico View Post
    It's pretty easy to get an Interactive Brokers account - I use these to buy Vanguard ETFs on the NYSE. Low transaction charges (but a USD10 monthly charge if you hold less than USD100,000).
    are there any accounts that don't charge a monthly fee?

You can use investnow to invest into the Smartshares S&P 500 fund for free. They charge no fees for buy/sell orders, nor any other maintainance fees.

I've been using them for a few months now and have investments in multiple passive index ETFs through them including the Smartshares S&P 500.