sharetrader
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    77

    Default S&P 500 (Smartshares)

    Hi all, due to the difficulty now opening up a overseas account. Re: smartshares there is a 0.35% charge. If I buy this with ASB that is possible right, is there a fee charge still?

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rayonline View Post
    Hi all, due to the difficulty now opening up a overseas account. Re: smartshares there is a 0.35% charge. If I buy this with ASB that is possible right, is there a fee charge still?

    Cheers.
    Yes I believe so, smartshare take their cut after vangard take theirs. So its actually more like 0.35+0.04. - I don't think there is a better way in NZ?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIsaver View Post
    Yes I believe so, smartshare take their cut after vangard take theirs. So its actually more like 0.35+0.04. - I don't think there is a better way in NZ?
    Can you not buy the Vanguard instrument directly on the ASX though? I see you cannot, however Vanguard do offer the Total US market (VTS) at .05% of a fee and another product (Code SPY) is a S&P exchange traded index.

    http://www.asx.com.au/products/etf/m...oduct-list.htm

  4. #4
    Member sonny n share's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    32

    Default

    There are a number of Vanguard ETFs that you can buy on the asx via ASB online?
    https://static.vgcontent.info/crp/intl/auw/docs/performance/ETFPerformanceSummary.pdf
    also ishares
    https://www.blackrock.com/au/individ...C43624%7C43632

    Just pay the usual ASB transaction fee

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I believe you can also buy this stock (and others) directly via Halifax in NZ, and only pay the brokerage fees (perhaps someone could confirm this).

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Can you not buy the Vanguard instrument directly on the ASX though? I see you cannot, however Vanguard do offer the Total US market (VTS) at .05% of a fee and another product (Code SPY) is a S&P exchange traded index.

    http://www.asx.com.au/products/etf/m...oduct-list.htm
    Are you talking about ASB Securities and their fees as at: www.asb.co.nz/asb-securities/rates-and-fees.html

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NZT View Post
    Are you talking about ASB Securities and their fees as at: www.asb.co.nz/asb-securities/rates-and-fees.html
    No I am talking about buying the vanguard product on the ASX. If you wish to use ASB, ANZ, First NZ Capital, Craigs or any other broker that is your choice.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    195

    Default

    It's pretty easy to get an Interactive Brokers account - I use these to buy Vanguard ETFs on the NYSE. Low transaction charges (but a USD10 monthly charge if you hold less than USD100,000).

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwico View Post
    It's pretty easy to get an Interactive Brokers account - I use these to buy Vanguard ETFs on the NYSE. Low transaction charges (but a USD10 monthly charge if you hold less than USD100,000).
    are there any accounts that don't charge a monthly fee?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    113

    Default

    You can use investnow to invest into the Smartshares S&P 500 fund for free. They charge no fees for buy/sell orders, nor any other maintainance fees.

    I've been using them for a few months now and have investments in multiple passive index ETFs through them including the Smartshares S&P 500.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonboyz View Post
    You can use investnow to invest into the Smartshares S&P 500 fund for free. They charge no fees for buy/sell orders, nor any other maintainance fees.

    I've been using them for a few months now and have investments in multiple passive index ETFs through them including the Smartshares S&P 500.
    The big problem with this is the Smartshare S&P 500 fund has astronomical (by comparison) fees to the Vanguard product. Depending on amounts investing it is better in the long run to go with Vanguard than with Smartshares. (even with an up front brokerage of $29)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •