sharetrader
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Labours Lies About Personal Tax

Hereís the truth about personal income taxes since Labour donít appear to be able to understand simple math.

Letís say today I earn $60,000 Ė numbers are illustrative. I lose $20,000 of my money to tax which leaves me $40,000 to spend as I see fit.

On 1 April 2018 I will earn $60,000 and I will lose $19,000 in tax which gives me an extra $1,000 to spend. In case the point was missed my tax will be $19,000.

Under National, Greens, Act, NZ First, Maori governments I will pay $19,000 tax on 1 April.

However under Labour my personal tax will increase 5.2% to $20,000.

That is $1,000 more that I would otherwise be paying on 1 April. That is an increase.

And just so you know, that $1,000 was going to buy me:

• $200 for some shoes for my kids so they donít have to walk barefoot in the snow to school.
    • $200 for a few more fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables
    • $200 for extra heating in my rental hovel for the hard 3 months of winter.
    • $200 for some extra fuel for my car so I can commute to that better job a bit further down the road
    • $200 towards a bit better house to live in

Under Labour I can kiss that all good bye. And thatís the truth of the matter!

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Hereís the truth about personal income taxes since Labour donít appear to be able to understand simple math.

Letís say today I earn $60,000 Ė numbers are illustrative. I lose $20,000 of my money to tax which leaves me $40,000 to spend as I see fit.

On 1 April 2018 I will earn $60,000 and I will lose $19,000 in tax which gives me an extra $1,000 to spend. In case the point was missed my tax will be $19,000.

Under National, Greens, Act, NZ First, Maori governments I will pay $19,000 tax on 1 April.

That is $1,000 more that I would otherwise be paying on 1 April. That is an increase.

• $200 for some shoes for my kids so they donít have to walk barefoot in the snow to school.
    • $200 for some extra fuel for my car so I can commute to that better job a bit further down the road

What about the other $200

Doesn't 6 times 200 under Labour equal 1000
    ďWhat the wise man does in the beginning, the fool does in the endĒ

More taxes under labour and inexperience leader of the red...keep borrowing and giving....

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    What about the other $200

Doesn't 6 times 200 under Labour equal 1000
    Dont worry about such detail, be positive - the Tax Committee of Experts will sort it.

Permanent Newbie

Here’s the truth about personal income taxes since Labour don’t appear to be able to understand simple math.

Let’s say today I earn $60,000 – numbers are illustrative. I lose $20,000 of my money to tax which leaves me $40,000 to spend as I see fit.

• $200 for some shoes for my kids so they don’t have to walk barefoot in the snow to school.

Under Labour I can kiss that all good bye. And that’s the truth of the matter!
    Maybe I am missing the point minimoke is trying to make. I am assuming Labour has said that no one will be paying any more tax if Labour gets in. This would be true at this stage as they are not proposing any changes to income tax rates or thresholds. I would suggest Minimoke is confused between tax rates now and paying less tax under National in the future.
    No lies being told just a bit of confusion regarding tax rates remaining the same or dropping if National get in.

Maybe we could start a give-a-little page for Minimoke's shoes.
    Last edited by Aaron; 21-09-2017 at 09:04 AM.

What a load of rubbish. the tax on $60,000 income is about $i0,000 and if you have kids it would probably be less. Hard to imagine your kids walking barefoot in the snow.

westerly

Looks like Fake News.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    Looks like Fake News.
    smells like it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Maybe I am missing the point minimoke is trying to make. I am assuming Labour has said that no one will be paying any more tax if Labour gets in. This would be true at this stage as they are not proposing any changes to income tax rates or thresholds. I would suggest Minimoke is confused between tax rates now and paying less tax under National in the future.
    No lies being told just a bit of confusion regarding tax rates remaining the same or dropping if National get in.

Maybe we could start a give-a-little page for Minimoke's shoes.
    on 1 April tax rates change so a person earning, say $52,000 will pay $20 a week les tax. For those on $22,000 its about $11 a week less tax. It was in the Budget, the law has been passed the new tax thresholds take place 1 april where people get to keep more of their own money. That is surely not a hard concept to grasp. It shouldn't be for the approx 1.3m families who will be around $26 a week better off.

Labour is proposing legislation that will see the tax thresholds changed so that those 1.3m families will pay about $26 a week more.

Just to be clear tax rates don't drop if national get in. Tax rates will increase if Labour gets in.

Update Ready To Install

Post truth politics. Fake news, trump down under.

Cool 'post-truth politics' arrive in New Zealand

on 1 April tax rates change so a person earning, say $52,000 will pay $20 a week les tax. For those on $22,000 its about $11 a week less tax. It was in the Budget, the law has been passed the new tax thresholds take place 1 april where people get to keep more of their own money. That is surely not a hard concept to grasp. It shouldn't be for the approx 1.3m families who will be around $26 a week better off.

Labour is proposing legislation that will see the tax thresholds changed so that those 1.3m families will pay about $26 a week more.

Just to be clear tax rates don't drop if national get in. Tax rates will increase if Labour gets in.

Yeah, yeah we all know the argument... Clearly National have structured their tax policy implementation dates to enable them to use it as scare tactics before New Zealand votes this weekend.

It's pretty boring actually..

I am assuming Labour has said that no one will be paying any more tax if Labour gets in. This would be true at this stage as they are not proposing any changes to income tax rates or thresholds.
    It may be old news but its not fake news. on 1 April tax thresholds change
    10.5% on the first $14,000 earned (rising to $22,000 from April 1, 2018)
    17.5%: $14,001 ($22,001 from April 1, 2018) to $48,000 ($52,000 from April 1, 2018)
    30%: $48,001 ($52,001 from April 1, 2018) to $70,000
    33% from $70,001.

Labour will pass a law that will see the thresholds changed so that more personal tax due as shown above is paid.

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post

It's pretty boring actually..
    Probably not to those in poverty who wouldn't mind a few extra dollars in their wallet

Update Ready To Install

Whoops you've forgotten what Labour are giving out instead; can you post that thanks

I understand Steven Joyce has the following tattooed on his left butt cheek:

"People like you are still living in what we call the reality-based community. You believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality. That's not the way the world really works anymore. We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you are studying that reality - judiciously, as you will - we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors, and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Whoops you've forgotten what Labour are giving out instead; can you post that thanks
    Yeah - they are keeping beneficiaries and those on super warmer, (without knowing if they have the means or not to pay for their heating) to the tune of $750 for three months.

I'm in Christchurch a bit of a chilly place and my power bill doesn't go up $250 a month in winter. So obviously Labour have to increase the tax take to pay for this free giveaway

Permanent Newbie

It may be old news but its not fake news. on 1 April tax thresholds change
    10.5% on the first $14,000 earned (rising to $22,000 from April 1, 2018)
    17.5%: $14,001 ($22,001 from April 1, 2018) to $48,000 ($52,000 from April 1, 2018)
    30%: $48,001 ($52,001 from April 1, 2018) to $70,000
    33% from $70,001.

Labour will pass a law that will see the thresholds changed so that more personal tax due as shown above is paid.
    I stand corrected. So if Labour gets in we will be paying exactly the same amount of tax that we are paying currently. The thing about the tax cuts is that everyone gets them. Even if you are making $1mill a year. It is not designed to help the poor. In fact the savings for Minimoke on $60,000 are $1,060 and for someone on minimum wage it would be $560.

You can't argue people will have more money in their pocket after tax if National gets in. I guess you might then have to argue whether the ideology that says lower tax and smaller government creates better societies is correct or not.
    John Key and Bill English have been pushing us slowly in that direction but I remain unconvinced.

I would rather see money put aside in a superannuation fund to ensure we are able to look after our elderly as the boomer bulge starts to put more pressure on the welfare and health system at the same time.
    Last edited by Aaron; 21-09-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: To remove political bias

Permanent Newbie

This was interesting, as we are talking about tax.
    http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...policies-oxfam

It is just an opinion piece though.

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    What a load of rubbish. the tax on $60,000 income is about $i0,000 and if you have kids it would probably be less. Hard to imagine your kids walking barefoot in the snow.

westerly
    You missed it when I said the numbers are "illustrative" - meaning they are not mean to be precise.

But if you are telling me my tax is $10,000 then JacInda is going to increase my personal tax 11.8% on 1 April. Worse than I thought!

In fact the savings for Minimoke on $60,000 are $1,060 and for someone on minimum wage it would be $560.
    This grievious inequality would be easily sorted with a flat tax rate - say 15% payable by everyone on all earnings.