sharetrader
Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheres Winston?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    A question strategic voters need to consider.

Who would you prefer as Kingmaker?

Winston or Te Pati?

If you truly believe there will be a landslide to National Act, this may be less important, but just as equally you may be just adding to a big number.

You may need some insurance.

You only have one Party vote.

Use it wisely,

That's what MMP has done to you.
    If we all were to think ‘maybe we need some insurance’ and give our votes to Winston, there won’t be that landslide and Winston will hold all the cards.

Winston has gone into coalition with Labour twice over the course of NZ First’s history. That damns him in my eyes, and 2017 has lead to Labour being in a place now to divide this country on racial lines & absolutely destroy the books.

I’m not going to over-think things when I go into the polling booth - the only way I can hand cards to Winston over the 2 parties that wouldn’t p*iss on Labour if they were on fire is by giving him my vote, so I won’t be doing that. I’ll never forgive him for 2017, never.

Advanced Member

Logen, your opening statement is how most think.

But not strategic voters.

In an extended family group of 9 say, one may be nominated as the strategic voter.

Otherwise that family of 8 down the road who believe in myths and fantasies like cycle bridges to nowhere, and light headed rail may decide your future.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post

I’m not going to over-think things when I go into the polling booth - the only way I can hand cards to Winston over the 2 parties that wouldn’t p*iss on Labour if they were on fire is by giving him my vote, so I won’t be doing that. I’ll never forgive him for 2017, never.
    National ruled him out many times before the 2017 election so what are you complaining about. He did what they wanted.

This time Winnie has ruled out labour (it's both a campaign promise and is all over the media).
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 16-09-2023 at 09:02 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    National ruled him out many times before the 2017 election so what are you complaining about. He did what they wanted.

This time winnie has ruled out labour (it's both a campaign promise and is all over the media).
    They were negotiating with him to form a government post-election, so it goes to show you just how solid ‘ruled out’ is when the chips are down. ‘Ruled out’ doesn’t mean a thing, thanks for the example. 🙂 With Winston for some it looks like ‘fool we twice, potentially fool me a third time’….Dumb & Dumber levels of stupidity.

If Chipkins has a chance to gain power via Winston then he won’t leave anything in the tank “how about we double the size of the last Provincial Growth Fund & you get to be Deputy PM and Minister of Foreign Affairs and Minister of Racing. And Shane can be Minister of Finance, as he used to be a Labour MP and a Minister in a Labour government. And I’ll darn your sock as well. All good Winnie?”

Guru

If Chipkins has a chance to gain power via Winston then he won’t leave anything in the tank “how about we double the size of the last Provincial Growth Fund & you get to be Deputy PM and Minister of Foreign Affairs and Minister of Racing. And Shane can be Minister of Finance, as he used to be a Labour MP and a Minister in a Labour government. And I’ll darn your sock as well. All good Winnie?”
    As illogical as National ruling him out pre-election.

Imagine he breaks an election promise (like national did in 2008 on tax) then they would have to get both the greens and maori party on board who would have to approve all of these concessions.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 16-09-2023 at 08:58 AM.

Advanced Member

Well that's decided then Logen.
    Looks like your strategic party vote is going to Te Pati, lol

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    As illogical as National ruling him out pre-election.

Imagine he breaks an election promise (like national did in 2008) then they would have to get both the greens and maori party on board who would have to accept all of these concessions.
    So you concede that both the Greens and Te Pati Maori will definitely be part of any future Labour-led government. Interesting.

The Greens and Te Pati Maori would be presented with a scenario whereby they can accept a coalition including Winston and have perhaps 15% of something, or reject it and have 100% of nothing.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Well that's decided then Logen.
    Looks like your strategic party vote is going to Te Pati, lol
    Yeah, nah. Never in a million years. We only get one party vote, I won’t be playing 5 dimensional chess with myself over how to cast it.

Guru

The Greens and Te Pati Maori would be presented with a scenario whereby they can accept a coalition including Winston and have perhaps 15% of something, or reject it and have 100% of nothing.
    So you think the Greens and Te pati Maori are logical actors and not filled with radicals who don't compromise.

Anyway it's a moot point because both Chris Hipkins and Winston would have to break election promises before this scenario even begins.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 16-09-2023 at 09:01 AM.

Advanced Member

While we are on the subject of strategy and poll influence, a caution must be taken.

Every election cycle is effectively a 6 year change in voter behaviour.

The oldies who have passed away may have had more predictable leanings and loyalties.
    The new wave of 18 to 21 year olds are harder to predict.
    With the demise of landlines they are harder to reach for polling.
    They also have a much wider range of parties to consider.

It may be a case of as Jim Bolger said, bugger the pollsters!