sharetrader
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I disagree. National had some lines in the sand that they were not willing to cross and totally reasonably stuck to their guns on issues Jacinda rolled over on. She and Labour were desperate and ready to give away just about anything Winston wanted, which included treating The Greens like a door mat which they deserve and seem to like !
    National did the right thing. It is better to regroup in a strong parliamentary opposition and watch this mess unfold.

You've forgotten, Winston Peters had taken National Ministers Paula Bennett & Anne Tolley to court for 'breaching his privacy' by secretly sharing details of his superannuation overpayment to the media ahead of the 2017 election, to undermine him.

Simon Bridges & others said they couldn't believe Winston Peters had served papers on them the day before the election but then sat there in front of them pretending it hadn't happened during negotiations. There was so much animosity between them & Bennett said it was just one example of why National never trusted Winston Peters.
    However, despite them regarding him as totally untrustworthy, they were still negotiating with him to try & form the govt.

Talk about lines in the sand & National doing the right thing is completely irrelevant. Peters rejected National, not the other way around.

Peters was never going to go with National, how could he form a government with the same Ministers he was in the process of taking to court!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    I dislike MMP and no doubt it has inflicted damage on our way of life but do you think we would be any better off today with the 2 party system ?
    I certainly do.

Guru

Nothing stopping national forming a coalition with Labour to stop nz first and the maori party.