As globalization continues and the unit cost of freight goes down there will be more and more stuff crossing New Zealand's wharves.

Think of the development of North Port as a relief valve for the crowded Auckland Isthmus.

Back when I was a pimply faced youth I can remember another rail line that was teetering on the brink of usefulness, the Main North Line which ran from Christchurch to Picton. It had one train a day each way mockingly called the Cabbage Train by the locals.

Then the roll on roll off Cook Straight rail ferries were introduced and trains and tonnage on this line increased substantially.

I reckon the building of a spur line from the North Auckland Line to Marsden Point will have a similar positive effect as the rail ferries.

Even if their effect is confined to reducing transport bottle necks on the Isthmus the small cost of doing this compared with Nationals roads of significance make it a risk worth taking.

There will be enough business to go around. I am sure the ratepayers of Auckland would welcome operating surpluses from their Port being paid to the Council rather than being retained for developments to accommodate continual increases in business

Boop boop de do
Marilyn