sharetrader
Page 24 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Hey Balance I'm with you on this one. We were shocked when we found out their plans & expressed strong opposition to the the expansion of the port into the harbour esp letting friends & neighbours know who didn't know because unbelievably it was non-notifiable.
    It's def in the wrong place & needs to be moved, just not sure about feasibility of Whangarei.
    Northport commissioned a study way back in 2009/10 which showed that it could accommodate the projected increase of bulk cargo and containers instead of POA - as long as the government funded the upgrade of rail through to Northport.

Projected cost at that time for the upgrade to a dedicated freight rail line was $250m.

The study was presented to the government at that time which decided it was not worth its political capital to push for such a proposal.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Guru

Bal, If you didn't own shares in MMH you would not be pumping for the move to M Point, for some reason you have blinkers on with this one when you usually are a cautious investor .
    In 10 years time the container port will still be where it is today PoA will still have the port here , there simply is no real/business case to move it except for the Nthern mafia's B S report, mark my words and the MMH s p will slowly weaken as "punters " realise this and I bought my first Northland Ports shares many years ago , pre 1987 @ $1.25 in its float !
    Last edited by whatsup; 24-11-2019 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    Bal, If you didn't own shares in MMH you would not be pumping for the move to M Point, for some reason you have blinkers on with this one when you usually are a cautious investor .
    In 10 years time the container port will still be where it is today PoA will still have the port here , there simply is no real/business case to move it except for the Nthern mafia's B S report, mark my words and the MMH s p will slowly weaken as "punters " realise this and I bought my first Northland Ports shares many years ago , pre 1987 @ $1.25 in its float !
    Good on you, Whatsup - hope you held and just like I bought my AIA shares at the IPO and has only ever added onto my position.

Have you read the reports?
    Last edited by Balance; 24-11-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyO View Post
    and is this the same one who said the Peter Ellis was guilty ?

Advanced Member

Wow, pity they didnt have the same vision when they were in government. Easy to say now, when they don’t have to deliver it or get re-elected . Still...I think they are right on the money,

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Wow, pity they didnt have the same vision when they were in government. Easy to say now, when they don’t have to deliver it or get re-elected . Still...I think they are right on the money,
    There is actually the money to do it now - and the political will.

Permanent Newbie

Helen AND John supporting the move. Is this so Aucklanders can have a nice park where the port is? Hard to see how unloading at Northport and freighting it all the way down to Auckland is a good idea. Must be way more efficient floating on down to POA. That said if the trucks moving the goods off Auckland's wharves are stationery due to Auckland's horrendous traffic maybe not.

That said I read Wayne Browns argument as well as the POA CEO's in the herald. According to the CEO Northport not the best option a lot of work to do at Northport. Although I don't recall where he suggested was a better alternative.

good to see some politicians with common sense.

moving the port will open up the whole far north to growth in time , transform it from a region where school leavers have little to look forward too , to a region with thriving opportunities to work in a export company. imagine to if cannabis became a export product up north as well the region is a gold mine waiting to be opening.
    but will jacinda have the balls to actually achieve anything big in her term?
    one step ahead of the herd

cannot see how economical it can be moving most of it back down/thru Auckland
    Think I heard/read approx. 75% of what comes in to Auckland stays here, and I would think a small portion of the remaining 25% would move North - especially north of Northport.
    I read the CEO article as well, no he did not say where.
    Would be possible to fix some of the Manukau harbour issues with half or less than the money to be spent on moving to Northport. Also think they will still need a 3rd rail line going south and maybe West, to freight hubs, which would help with the stationary trucks in Auckland traffic and allow the commuter trains to carry on. Could move them a night I suppose, but not sure how many close the rail lines want freight train trundling back and forward in the middle of the night