sharetrader
Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
    Thanks for posting. A couple of quotes:

[FONT="]"Previous studies have noted dredging would have to be done annually, but Young said continuous dredging would be required and both the channel and the entrance to the harbour would need to be dredged."
    [/FONT]

"Brown said UNSCIS had dismissed Manukau Harbour right at the start based on safety concerns after it received a warning from the insurance industry that it would not insure ships that docked at Manukau Harbour."

I would assume that either of these issues would be sufficient to kill any thoughts of turning Manukau into Auckland's port.
    Politics - a complete and utter $2m waste of taxpayers' money. Who are the muppets who wrote this report?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Politics - a complete and utter $2m waste of taxpayers' money. Who are the muppets who wrote this report?
    The small issue of the Harbour Bar and what size vessel can cross it for a start. You can dredge there to your heart's content and not make a dent in the volume. It'll back on the next tide.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    The small issue of the Harbour Bar and what size vessel can cross it for a start. You can dredge there to your heart's content and not make a dent in the volume. It'll back on the next tide.
    I cannot see the Manukau harbour as being a viable major harbour now or ever, PoA is best left where it is for the next 30-50 years when all current S Ters posters imo will be gone to the big harbour in the sky !!!

"Cabinet approved $2m for the Ministry of Transport to conduct another investigation into the viability of moving the port. Newsroom understands economics consultancy Sapere was contracted to do this report."

Advanced Member

"Cabinet approved $2m for the Ministry of Transport to conduct another investigation into the viability of moving the port. Newsroom understands economics consultancy Sapere was contracted to do this report."
    https://srgexpert.com/
    Sounds likely. So I guess they have some expertise....look forward to seeing the full report. Shane should release it soon. Manukau harbour certainly doesn't seem to make sense.

I'd be happy to write a definitive report concluding that the idea of using the Manukau Harbour as a major port is a really really stupid idea ... for the bargain price of $1.9 million ... my modest fee to settled in MMH shares of course.

Advanced Member

Sounds like it might have been ordered by the Minister of Transport

Advanced Member

https://www.transport.govt.nz/assets...SCS-Report.pdf

Here is the link to the report. Have not opened it yet.....

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    https://www.transport.govt.nz/assets...SCS-Report.pdf

Here is the link to the report. Have not opened it yet.....
    Jeeze....120odd pages....don't know whether I have the energy.
    The sad thing is that it will be the citizens of Auckland and NZ that will miss out most on being denied the ability to create a world class waterfront. So so short sighted. Guess I need to read it. Sigh.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Jeeze....120odd pages....don't know whether I have the energy.
    The sad thing is that it will be the citizens of Auckland and NZ that will miss out most on being denied the ability to create a world class waterfront. So so short sighted. Guess I need to read it. Sigh.
    RTM, I think you are wrong, the PoA is very exciting always something of interest always happening there, boats coming and going , action aplenty, if it was left to the Auckland Council planning dept we would be left with a dogs breakfast just as there in now at the bottom of Anzac Ave with the monstrosity buildings , Auckland one and two- or some such names 12-15 stories high blocking the harbour view from Anzac Ave , at least with the PoA's container cranes one can see through and past them, not something we have in Anzac Ave and who says that we would not get something similar re Anzac Ave if it is left to the so called town planners !!