sharetrader
Page 62 of 74 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Port of Auckland has been a disaster for years or at least since the Council took it back over. It must be embarrassing for them to be continually shown up by Port of Tauranga. Goff and Auckland Council are partly to blame because they appoint the board and set certain expectations. The exasperation around continual poor performance from Port of Auckland can't but help sentiment around enlargement of North Port. It is a pity the rail link to Marsden Point didn't happen years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by glennj View Post
    Port of Auckland has been a disaster for years or at least since the Council took it back over. It must be embarrassing for them to be continually shown up by Port of Tauranga. Goff and Auckland Council are partly to blame because they appoint the board and set certain expectations. The exasperation around continual poor performance from Port of Auckland can't but help sentiment around enlargement of North Port. It is a pity the rail link to Marsden Point didn't happen years ago.
    While I agree with this, in the near term we have to remember that the export of logs is a big part of MMH's business and I can't help wonder if the current timber shortage will result in reduced log exports? I'm still digging into the timber situation so, at this stage, it's only a question not a prediction.

Disclosure: held

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
    While I agree with this, in the near term we have to remember that the export of logs is a big part of MMH's business and I can't help wonder if the current timber shortage will result in reduced log exports? I'm still digging into the timber situation so, at this stage, it's only a question not a prediction.

Disclosure: held
    I doubt that there will be any appreciable drop in log exports. NZ doesn't have the processing capacity to gear up quickly to process more logs. There is a grade disparity too with the majority of the export logs being lower grade wood not suited for sawing in to quality framing timber.

Would the Never Given fit in your port

https://evergiven-everywhere.glitch.me/
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Would the Never Given fit in your port

https://evergiven-everywhere.glitch.me/
    Nice.
    Probably not Auckland as would block the view. But we are very accommodating up North.
    Has Whatsup gone to sleep ?
    Last edited by RTM; 31-03-2021 at 04:27 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Nice.
    Probably not Auckland as would block the view. But we are very accommodating up North.
    Has Whatsup gone to sleep ?
    Whatsup still here, with the demise of Winny ( poo) the Nthland port dream died, END OF STORY.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    Whatsup still here, with the demise of Winny ( poo) the Nthland port dream died, END OF STORY.
    Not totally gone, I still see it mentioned in the odd article. Nothing about a port in the Firth of Thames or Manukau.

I assume crazy low interest rates has helped the share price stay up.
    Last edited by Aaron; 01-04-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Firth of Thames was and is a crazy idea - as was/is Manukau

Looking at the Northport "ships in port" and "shipping forecast" there is still a trickle of container ships berthing at Marsden Point

This YouTube video shows a good level of container traffic on the NAL since the upgrade;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVrDDP-fMc4

Congestion arising from the Suez Canal blockage may cause more diversions to Marsden Point.

Get that rail spur built for joined up container traffic solutions now.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Permanent Newbie

Even if the rail spur gets done, they still need somewhere to unload in Auckland. Who would pay for and create that? MMH? Kiwirail? Has it been seriously considered.

I think Wayne Brown presented his report again to an Auckland business group in the hope they would see that it is not pie in the sky waffle to get more business up North.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/simon-...BLD6KX7BN72UU/
    Last edited by Aaron; 01-04-2021 at 01:11 PM. Reason: link to article