sharetrader
Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768697071 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I see Wayne Brown is running for Mayor of Auckland. Does he have a chance ?

https://www.fixauckland.co.nz/?msclk...8a910b631bbc29

I wonder what the future of Auckland Port might be under Wayne's leadership ?

https://www.transport.govt.nz/area-o...hain-strategy/
    Will stay where it is for the forseeable future , too expensive and uncommercial to move and Auck Council needs the revenue that it generates because of the Geoff stuffups of his many projects, CRL over runs , Viaduct/downtown ba!!s ups, Auck City ba!!s up,
    desertion of the business heart, no tourists, rough sleepers how many other home truths do you want ?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    Will stay where it is for the forseeable future , too expensive and uncommercial to move and Auck Council needs the revenue that it generates because of the Geoff stuffups of his many projects, CRL over runs , Viaduct/downtown ba!!s ups, Auck City ba!!s up,
    desertion of the business heart, no tourists, rough sleepers how many other home truths do you want ?
    Remind me again what the dividend was that was paid to Council for the last couple of years ?

Advanced Member

Another piece of the jigsaw puzzle falling into place.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-...MQN235PLQIUVI/

The Government will spend up to $550 million upgrading Northland's rail system, including a long-awaited rail link to Northport at Marsden Pt.
    Northport - the region's deepwater port - was granted consent without the need for a rail link to the port, but there's been a push in recent years to get a rail link to help transport goods, particularly if it starts taking containers full-time.
    Northport last week began the process to be recognised as a container ship port.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Another piece of the jigsaw puzzle falling into place.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-...MQN235PLQIUVI/

The Government will spend up to $550 million upgrading Northland's rail system, including a long-awaited rail link to Northport at Marsden Pt.
    Northport - the region's deepwater port - was granted consent without the need for a rail link to the port, but there's been a push in recent years to get a rail link to help transport goods, particularly if it starts taking containers full-time.
    Northport last week began the process to be recognised as a container ship port.
    The rail link is great news. Ports of Auckland discussed in the herald today behind the paywall

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...QPDJXV3AWXH6I/

The bit that interested me was this.

"Council is working in alignment with the Government to determine the best future location of the port following the government's Sapere report and its rejection of the supply chain study delivered by Wayne Brown," Goff said. (Brown headed a 2019 study which supported relocating the port to Northport. The Sapere report in 2020 backed Manukau for a new port.)

I was not sure the suggestions in the Sapere report were adopted but just provided further procrastination for politicians. I guess they were adopted unless Phil Goff is mistaken and he should have a better idea than just about anyone.

Another interesting quote from Phil Goff.

The council is "keeping in mind" it won't have the money to invest in infrastructure for any future relocation of the port "which means the council's shareholding in any new port will be severely diminished", he said.

The council still keeps the land but might let go the port business and let someone else develop it as they do not have the capital to develop a new port somewhere else.

Vote Wayne Brown for mayor of Auckland if you want some action on the Ports of Auckland we know he has a plan. I wonder if it would change if he were elected.
    Last edited by Aaron; 19-04-2022 at 08:20 AM.

Advanced Member

I don't know Wayne Brown. but bring back Len Brown l say.
    The Ngati Whatua room is due for another cultural exchange.

If Wayne Brown does get in, would that mean the ports shift would be on and MMH would benefit??

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If Wayne Brown does get in, would that mean the ports shift would be on and MMH would benefit??
    Assuming Wayne Brown backed his own report once he becomes mayor, POA would close down and the waterfront would be developed with MMH and POT being the major beneficiaries of POA's business if I understand it correctly.

He was also scathing of the Sapere report which recommended a move to the Manukau harbour.

But things might look different once you are mayor of Auckland rather than the Far North.
    Last edited by Aaron; 19-04-2022 at 01:49 PM.

Guru

Show me the money ! ( for relocation ! )

Advanced Member

[QUOTE=Aaron;952303]The rail link is great news. Ports of Auckland discussed in the herald today behind the paywall

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...QPDJXV3AWXH6I/

Who has confidence that Auckland City has the ability to fix the problems at Ports of Auckland ?

Mayor Goff says the following in the article...

"The port was important to the council for several reasons, Goff said.

Firstly, for a city that represents 38 per cent of New Zealand's GDP and over a third of its population, it is vital that we have a port which meets the needs of people and businesses to effectively and efficiently supply the goods that the city needs to function.

"Secondly, the land on which the ports currently reside represents over 77ha of prime central city land which, following the relocation of the port in coming decades, offers exciting opportunities for people to regain access to the harbour-front and for recreational, commercial and residential development."

Well, which is it Mayor Goff ? If you are going to use of opportunities for people to regain the harbour front etc etc....then your first point can not be correct ?
    Get a move on with your second option....it will transform Auckland, rid the Auckland Rate Payer of an "asset (liability ?) " that is not functioning well.
    And enable the North and Tauranga to benefit through maximising the usage of their ports.

Lets go...vote for Mayor Brown.

Advanced Member