sharetrader
Page 68 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869707172 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Jeeze...POA team can't win a trick.
    Very sad.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...ts-of-auckland

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Assuming Wayne Brown backed his own report once he becomes mayor, POA would close down and the waterfront would be developed with MMH and POT being the major beneficiaries of POA's business if I understand it correctly.

He was also scathing of the Sapere report which recommended a move to the Manukau harbour.

But things might look different once you are mayor of Auckland rather than the Far North.
    That was part of my point - or will it be once they are in office I'll be Oh didn't know about this, didn't know about that etc etc - happens time and time again, they can promise anything they like until elected :-)

Here is a link to what the prospective majors say- can't see where Mr Brwon says moving it up North - maybe if gets elected in Auckland, he's no too worried about the north!
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...L5SRHISZTLDUE/ paywalled

"Wayne Brown said the council should require the port to produce a 6.5 per cent return on the value of the land it operates on - at least $400 million a year."
    Last edited by Jay; 19-04-2022 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Add last bit and link

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    That was part of my point - or will it be once they are in office I'll be Oh didn't know about this, didn't know about that etc etc - happens time and time again, they can promise anything they like until elected :-)

"Wayne Brown said the council should require the port to produce a 6.5 per cent return on the value of the land it operates on - at least $400 million a year."
    Wayne Brown can hardly say "Oh didn't know about this" he authored the report and criticised the Sapere report. He also can't tell Aucklanders he is looking at giving away the Ports business, even if it makes sense there will be people not happy. He needs votes first and foremost. John Key and Helen Clark might vote for him they both want the Port gone.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...ort-initiative

If two knowledgeable ex leaders of our country support it I am surprised it is still being discussed.

Skim reading all the mayoral responses I now have no firm idea what any of the mayoral hopefuls think, just some general comments. I can't help but think that if elected Wayne Brown would have some firm ideas around the Port.

Here is a slide show summarising things.

https://az659834.vo.msecnd.net/event...eed481be97a138

Page 16 provides the relevant summary.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    Show me the money ! ( for relocation ! )
    RTM showed you a few posts back. $500mill for a rail spur to Marsden Point.

MMH already working on expansion.

Wayne Brown's action plan from his report.

 Today – build the rail spur to Northport (tick)
     Today – engineering and planning for re-build of the North
    Auckland Line (tick)
     Today – engineering and planning for full capacity expansion of
    Northport (tick)
     Today – Government intervention in port ownership structure - still waiting but if Wayne wins no worries.
     5 Years – North West Auckland Freight hub and NAL - potential hurdle, not sure how much land required or where it would go but, absolutely vital to the plan.
     5 Years – Freight corridor through Auckland (Avondale)
    Last edited by Aaron; 19-04-2022 at 05:30 PM.

Advanced Member

RTM showed you a few posts back. $500mill for a rail spur to Marsden Point.

MMH already working on expansion.

Wayne Brown's action plan from his report.

 Today – build the rail spur to Northport (tick)
     Today – engineering and planning for re-build of the North
    Auckland Line (tick)
     Today – engineering and planning for full capacity expansion of
    Northport (tick)
     Today – Government intervention in port ownership structure - still waiting but if Wayne wins no worries.
     5 Years – North West Auckland Freight hub and NAL - potential hurdle, not sure how much land required or where it would go but, absolutely vital to the plan.
     5 Years – Freight corridor through Auckland (Avondale)
    Whatsup said some time ago...." Not in my lifetime"
    I am a little concerned that he / she has a serious health issue. Or perhaps it is that he is 96 years old......

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Here is a link to what the prospective majors say- can't see where Mr Brwon says moving it up North - maybe if gets elected in Auckland, he's no too worried about the north!
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...L5SRHISZTLDUE/ paywalled

I think forcing the economics 6.5% return on the value of the land and assets they hold will result on only one outcome...even if it takes a while to make it happen.
    The land is to valuable to store used cars on.

Permanent Newbie

Looks like Manukau is the preferred option IF feasible. Money for Northport Drydock feasibility study as well.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/manuka...FIFESZCTLJYAI/

Not sure if its good or bad news for MMH.

Looks like Manukau is the preferred option IF feasible. Money for Northport Drydock feasibility study as well.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/manuka...FIFESZCTLJYAI/

Not sure if its good or bad news for MMH.
    You are right to be concerned Aaron. This budget item would have staggered across the desk of Transport Minister Michael Wood.

Mr Wood is a man of great hydrological expertise, recently he gazed out the window of his Beehive office and saw a "river of filth".

A bar harbour with estuarine features. The Danes from MEARSK will have to revert to traditional Viking Longships to maintain all weather access to this wonderful new Auckland infrastructure assert.

\sarc.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

PS Maybe Mr Wood could charter The Ever Forward to test the operational safety of the dredged chamnel.
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 19-05-2022 at 06:14 PM. Reason: add PS
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post

Mr Wood is a man of great hydrological expertise, recently he gazed out the window of his Beehive office and saw a "river of filth".

quote of the week.
    LOL,

Permanent Newbie

Jon Moore the CEO of Northport (50/50 joint venture between POT and MMH that runs the port) says he does not believe ports of Auckland could move to Northport as Northport is not big enough, but it may be able to ease congestion.

Also I understand the cranes at Northport only do one side of a ship at a time then they turn round and do the other side. I wonder how that works without tipping the ship over. Are they unloading and loading bays at the same time or can ships pump ballast around.