sharetrader
Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2363697071727374 LastLast
    Guru

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/417035

Key financials:
    • Business Park and Marina Operations revenue $11.3m, up 29% from $8.7m last year
    • Net profit after tax before valuation movements $8.2m down from $9.1m last year
    • Investment property valuation downward movement of $0.3m partly reversing the previous
    year’s significant upwards movement of $3.9m.
    • Earnings from joint venture interest in Northport $8.1m down 3.5% from $8.4m last year
    • Northport volumes
    o Bulk 2.6m t down from 2.9m t last year
    o Logs 2.0m t down from 2.3m t last year
    o Container volumes were 16,809 TEU down from 19,142 TEU last year

Permanent Newbie

Two or three years is a "tight" decision deadline??? for a project that has had at least four well-funded, studies and reports done on it. Maybe with Winston & Shane Jones at the table supporting the North might be a goer although Shane must be hurting a bit as the Northerners have not taken to him despite the provincial fund largesse. Also, nothing got done under John Key why would we expect anything this time round. Maybe they will commission another report.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/business/...cross-auckland

All I see is weak leaders trying to buy votes from weak selfish people so I guess it is a matter of wait some more and see if a decision can be made in such a tight deadline.

whatsup despite the negativity is proving to be correct on moving the port north.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Two or three years is a "tight" decision deadline??? for a project that has had at least four well-funded, studies and reports done on it. Maybe with Winston & Shane Jones at the table supporting the North might be a goer although Shane must be hurting a bit as the Northerners have not taken to him despite the provincial fund largesse. Also, nothing got done under John Key why would we expect anything this time round. Maybe they will commission another report.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/business/...cross-auckland

All I see is weak leaders trying to buy votes from weak selfish people so I guess it is a matter of wait some more and see if a decision can be made in such a tight deadline.

whatsup despite the negativity is proving to be correct on moving the port north.
    Aaron, I was never negative on this subject just realistic, moving the PoA up north was and is never a goer once you weighed up all of the situations and financially it would never stack up.
    Putting a stadium on that ground was never a goer as well, nothing wrong with Eden Park where it is , used once a year to full capacity no not on IMHO !

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    Aaron, I was never negative on this subject just realistic, moving the PoA up north was and is never a goer once you weighed up all of the situations and financially it would never stack up.
    Putting a stadium on that ground was never a goer as well, nothing wrong with Eden Park where it is , used once a year to full capacity no not on IMHO !
    Helen Clark & John Key thought it was a good idea and they might still think that way. They are both Aucklanders and dare I say it two well respected former prime ministers.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/reveal...C4BAVO7UP47AM/

"The status quo," says the report, "is not an option." Key and Clark have made it clear where they stand.
    Last edited by Aaron; 26-09-2023 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added the articles conclusion

Guru

Helen Clark & John Key thought it was a good idea and they might still think that way. They are both Aucklanders and dare I say it two well respected former prime ministers.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/reveal...C4BAVO7UP47AM/

"The status quo," says the report, "is not an option." Key and Clark have made it clear where they stand.
    IMHO they are not realistic about the PoA , it belongs where it is and will stay there as there is no realistic/financial alternative.

The future of container ports in the Northland, Isthmus, Waikato and Bay of Plenty areas do not need the nod from lord high pooh bahs.

Let's consider the issues; There has been a steady rise in container volumes over time. Auckland container terminal growth is restricted by its location in New Zealands largest city. Sulphur Point in Tauranga is approaching capacity limits. The railing of containers into the isthmus is an established practice.

The lack of a short rail spur to Marsden Point is a block to it being able organically grow to absorb the likely future capacity growth. In my opinion it is not an issue of the Port of Auckland OR Marsden Point but Port of Auckland AND Marsden Point.

The current government has plans to construct the rail spur. The likely next government has been silent on the issue but it can be assumed to have a negative view of it. One of the possible reasons for this view is their ill-will towards its strong advocates Winston Peters and Shane Jones of the New Zealand First Party.

Recent opinion polls have the NZ First Party on the threshold of being represented in parliament and in some scenarios holding the balance of power. An voter wishing to see the spur proceed should support NZ First. As we all know in the negotiations to form coalition governments implacable opposition often turns to obsequious accommodation.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

PS. I have introduced "politiks" to this topic in the run up to an election. I do so only within the scope of how it affects Marsden Point. Please don't respond by wandering off into the weeds of politics in general and restrict any responses on political aspects to how it affects the topic.
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 27-09-2023 at 03:23 AM. Reason: grammar
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    The future of container ports in the Northland, Isthmus, Waikato and Bay of Plenty areas do not need the nod from lord high pooh bahs.

Let's consider the issues; There has been a steady rise in container volumes over time. Auckland container terminal growth is restricted by its location in New Zealands largest city. Sulphur Point in Tauranga is approaching capacity limits. The railing of containers into the isthmus is an established practice.

The lack of a short rail spur to Marsden Point is a block to it being able organically grow to absorb the likely future capacity growth. In my opinion it is not an issue of the Port of Auckland OR Marsden Point but Port of Auckland AND Marsden Point.

The current government has plans to construct the rail spur. The likely next government has been silent on the issue but it can be assumed to have a negative view of it. One of the possible reasons for this view is their ill-will towards its strong advocates Winston Peters and Shane Jones of the New Zealand First Party.

Recent opinion polls have the NZ First Party on the threshold of being represented in parliament and in some scenarios holding the balance of power. An voter wishing to see the spur proceed should support NZ First. As we all know in the negotiations to form coalition governments implacable opposition often turns to obsequious accommodation.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

PS. I have introduced "politiks" to this topic in the run up to an election. I do so only within the scope of how it affects Marsden Point. Please don't respond by wandering off into the weeds of politics in general and restrict any responses on political aspects to how it affects the topic.
    Have you ever taken a rail trip north from Auckland to Whangarei, if not please try it and then you will realise that that line can hardly cope with a four carriage train carrying passengers let alone a train pulling 50 containers at a time.

Permanent Newbie

Northport off the Auckland Mayors horizon at the moment

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...36664fcd&ei=11

But this caught my eye.

The Curia research poll, commissioned by the mayor's office, goes even further and shows most Aucklanders agree shifting the port to Northland is a good idea.

Fifty-four percent support the shift while 30 percent don't.

I like Wayne Brown, whatever else you might say about him he appears to be working hard coming up with ideas and being realistic about finances. I also liked this quote.

"Some of my councillors have had a long career of saying no to every possible thing, so you don't have to get everybody, and I think the public support will bring along the thoughtful ones," Brown said.

I am sick of politicians not wanting to rock the boat or do anything to ensure an apathetic public vote in the incumbent next elections.

On an unrelated topic, I put "Marsden" and then "Marsden Maritime" in the search box to try and find this thread neither search came up with this thread on the first page of search results.

How would someone who knows how to use this site find this thread.

On the doghouse

On an unrelated topic, I put "Marsden" and then "Marsden Maritime" in the search box to try and find this thread neither search came up with this thread on the first page of search results.

How would someone who knows how to use this site find this thread.
    Use the 'advanced search' option. Put 'Marsden' in the search box but select the 'search titles only' tab. This is the only thread that comes up if you do that.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 01-12-2023 at 08:55 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Permanent Newbie

Thanks Snoop, can't thank you quietly via reputation and not clog up the thread as I need to spread it around more before I can give you a boost.