sharetrader
Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

As globalization continues and the unit cost of freight goes down there will be more and more stuff crossing New Zealand's wharves.

Think of the development of North Port as a relief valve for the crowded Auckland Isthmus.

Back when I was a pimply faced youth I can remember another rail line that was teetering on the brink of usefulness, the Main North Line which ran from Christchurch to Picton. It had one train a day each way mockingly called the Cabbage Train by the locals.

Then the roll on roll off Cook Straight rail ferries were introduced and trains and tonnage on this line increased substantially.

I reckon the building of a spur line from the North Auckland Line to Marsden Point will have a similar positive effect as the rail ferries.

Even if their effect is confined to reducing transport bottle necks on the Isthmus the small cost of doing this compared with Nationals roads of significance make it a risk worth taking.

There will be enough business to go around. I am sure the ratepayers of Auckland would welcome operating surpluses from their Port being paid to the Council rather than being retained for developments to accommodate continual increases in business

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Advanced Member

I wonder what happens to this stock now ? Has steadily increased over the time I've held it (July 15).
    Hope its not a three year study to see if its viable...although that was something I would have picked for a NZ First / Nats coalition.

Herbacious

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I wonder what happens to this stock now ? Has steadily increased over the time I've held it (July 15).
    Hope its not a three year study to see if its viable...although that was something I would have picked for a NZ First / Nats coalition.
    They'll want to get some movement before the next local body elections in 2019 just on the off chance that Goff isn't there afterwards. They need him to make this happen.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11921479
    The cost to implement a rail network to move freight from Northport through to the south of Auckland has been estimated at more than $2.5 billion.
    A representative from the state-owned enterprise KiwiRail outlined the costs at the political rail forum in Whangarei on Monday night. (11/09/17). The forum was organised by Grow Northland Rail and attended by about 150 people.
    KiwiRail's Dave Gordon took an apolitical stance as he broke the cost down into three sections.
    He said to get the North Auckland line up to scratch, tunnels, bridges, passing loops, a stretch of rail and the radio systems would need to be upgraded or replaced.
    He said that would cost about $100 million. He said legacy works would cost another $200m over 15 years.

Mr Gordon said the link to Northport would be about $200m.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/election-2...ectid=11920629

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11921479
    The cost to implement a rail network to move freight from Northport through to the south of Auckland has been estimated at more than 2.5 billion.
    A representative from the state-owned enterprise KiwiRail outlined the costs at the political rail forum in Whangarei on Monday night. (11/09/). The forum was by Grow Northland Rail and attended by about 150 people.
    KiwiRail's Dave Gordon took an apolitical stance as he broke the cost down into three sections.
    He said to get the North Auckland line up to scratch, tunnels, bridges, passing loops, a stretch of rail and the radio systems would need to be upgraded or replaced.
    He said that would cost about $100 million. He said legacy works would cost another $200m over 15 years.

Mr Gordon said the link to Northport would be about $200m.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/election-2...ectid=11920629
    Crikey $200mi lfor a branch line. Are they using crushed diamonds for ballast and gold bars for rails?

Bop boop de do
    Marilyn

My guess $1mill $2mil tops a klm
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    Crikey $200mi lfor a branch line. Are they using crushed diamonds for ballast and gold bars for rails?

Bop boop de do
    Marilyn

My guess $1mill $2mil tops a klm
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...ts-of-auckland

Well, looks like the deal is going ahead.

$500m rail upgrade to start the process so that those wretched cars & the most expensive carpark in the OECD can be shifted north first and then, the container operations from Auckland to be moved.

Going to be boom time for Northland ahead.

You know it is going to happen when the road freight operators panic and start talking nonsense like this :

"David Aitken, Chief Executive of National Road Carriers, says at least eight years of consultation and planning would be needed before construction work required for such a project could even begin".
    Last edited by Balance; 24-10-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Herbacious

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    "David Aitken, Chief Executive of National Road Carriers, says at least eight years of consultation and planning would be needed before construction work required for such a project could even begin".
    Translation: We think if we delay this long enough a National govt will come in and scupper the whole plan, or at least the rail link part of it, and build a big new highway for us to drive on.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...ts-of-auckland

Well, looks like the deal is going ahead.

$500m rail upgrade to start the process so that those wretched cars & the most expensive carpark in the OECD can be shifted north first and then, the container operations from Auckland to be moved.

Going to be boom time for Northland ahead.

You know it is going to happen when the road freight operators panic and start talking nonsense like this :

While the money seems huge...when I compare it with the EW Road Link, close to 2Billion. well, that seems to put it into a better perspective. And the benefits for Northland, Auckland and therefore NZ, seem huge. Would be great to see us building this kind of infrastructure to take the country forward.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/auckland/08...st-connection/

Be interesting to see what happens today as the market digests that nz first now had pretty much all the key portfolios to improve the infrastructure link from Northport to Auckland if this is what Winston decides is a priority. I presume some of the $1b/yr regional development fund could also be used. Disc new holder

Guru

Q as the POA is owned by the Auck Council ( and the Auck rate payers ) who will pay them for the company and how much what will it cost to shift the POA to Ntlkand Port and if they wont be paid then this will finish up in court for years.
    So say 2.5 Billion to buy POA out and another 1 billion to set up the new port , carbon cost of moving that freight back to Auckland, upgrades of rail-- tunnels bridges widening rail corridor, then there is the freight costs of car moveal and not forgetting the capital costs of bigger and more powerful trains rolling stock , spares and train repair facilities.
    NO BRAINER , it will not stand up as a business study, nice try ****er Winston!