sharetrader
Page 36 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I did hear of a subdivision in the Ruakaka area where the Drainage all moved not long after the work was completed. Not sure if it was a developer cutting costs or the peaty nature of the land, probably both.

Shane Jones rushed to hospital from over work and exhaustion and looking at his jowls maybe a bit over weight as well. Hopefully it is due to the excitement around his big announcement today. Or all the hard out lobbying he has done to get his project through.
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/regional/...pment-corrodes

http://nzh.tw/12012568

It’s been far from a walk in the park out there.
    Last edited by RTM; 12-12-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I did hear of a subdivision in the Ruakaka area where the Drainage all moved not long after the work was completed. Not sure if it was a developer cutting costs or the peaty nature of the land, probably both.
    My understanding is it was due to the concrete pipes reacting with minerals (Maybe salt) in the ground.

Now that a decision has been made, it is good to have minds shifting to how the deal can be structured so that it is a co-operative and successful shift which will benefit all parties concerned.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2019/12/1...e-port-dilemma

Except :

"Meanwhile, Ports of Auckland needs to control and run its port operations, if it moves to Northport, just as it does now in Auckland. Not the land, necessarily, but the operations.

And Port of Tauranga, which owns 50 percent of Northport, needs to “drop out” as it is conflicted and muddies the local waters. Tauranga needs to go back to Tauranga to sort out infrastructure issues there - like the Kaimai Tunnel. It could perhaps combine its interests in a Waikato Hub with Ports of Auckland? There may be other tradeoffs for Tauranga to consolidate its position in Auckland.

The next step is crucial. If Ports of Auckland were given the lead in this project and the process then the rhetoric would change radically.

Meanwhile the Government must be prepared to override parochial interests, controlling the dialogue at the moment to provide an end game for KiwiRail to work with, which is the key to a future fully integrated transport network in NZ."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So a deal could take shape as follows:

1. POT sells its 50% shareholding in Northport to POA.

2. MMH raises new capital by issuing shares to the government and/or the public and/or POA.

3. POA raises $1 billion via sale of waterfront land to developers.

4. Government funds the infrastructure build (rail & roads) all the way to Bay of Islands to really open up the North.

Win win for everyone.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Now that a decision has been made, it is good to have minds shifting to how the deal can be structured so that it is a co-operative and successful shift which will benefit all parties concerned.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2019/12/1...e-port-dilemma

Except :

"Meanwhile, Ports of Auckland needs to control and run its port operations, if it moves to Northport, just as it does now in Auckland. Not the land, necessarily, but the operations.

And Port of Tauranga, which owns 50 percent of Northport, needs to “drop out” as it is conflicted and muddies the local waters. Tauranga needs to go back to Tauranga to sort out infrastructure issues there - like the Kaimai Tunnel. It could perhaps combine its interests in a Waikato Hub with Ports of Auckland? There may be other tradeoffs for Tauranga to consolidate its position in Auckland.

The next step is crucial. If Ports of Auckland were given the lead in this project and the process then the rhetoric would change radically.

Meanwhile the Government must be prepared to override parochial interests, controlling the dialogue at the moment to provide an end game for KiwiRail to work with, which is the key to a future fully integrated transport network in NZ."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So a deal could take shape as follows:

3. POA raises $1 billion via sale of waterfront land to developers.

Win win for everyone.
    Correct me if I'm wrong...but POA doesn't own the waterfront land. I doubt many Aucklanders would want that land sold off to developers. Leased perhaps. And if POA have been so inept running Auckland Port, why would you give them carte blanche at Northport?

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong...but POA doesn't own the waterfront land. I doubt many Aucklanders would want that land sold off to developers. Leased perhaps. And if POA have been so inept running Auckland Port, why would you give them carte blanche at Northport?
    Good points.

More negotiations and details required obviously.

Permanent Newbie

Have I got the right site, not much said, no real commitment a preference towards Northport although National might be in power and Northlands weak representative Matt King shows a surprising lack of enthusiasm for something so significant to Northland. A link to the report, only 50 pages but I haven't read it as yet.

Also no comment from the councils in the North. They should be ringing and asking how they might help govt progress further and faster with a move North.

They might just be a little more thoughtful and want to consider things further but they should hurry up.

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/...land-logistics

I thought the rail spur to the port was in the advanced stages of planning but obviously not.
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-12-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Advanced Member

So I haven’t caught up on today’s announcement, what I thought I heard was another re-port that would be completed mid next year....May. Quite an election gift for Shane I would think. Timing could hardly be better.

Banned

Crap..so so will be down....

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    So I haven’t caught up on today’s announcement, what I thought I heard was another re-port that would be completed mid next year....May. Quite an election gift for Shane I would think. Timing could hardly be better.
    It was a little more favourable than that, but yes there is another report.

Clause c. of the recommendations that was signed off by the Minister Finance, Minister Transport, Acting Manager-National Infrastructure Unit-Treasury and Director-Rail Transformation, Ministry of Transport was:
    "agree for officials to prepare a Cabinet paper on behalf of the Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Finance, Minister of Transport and Associate Minister of Transport with the following recommendations:
    o Note that Ministers consider that there are strategic arguments for moving the Ports of Auckland that deserve further work.
    o Direct officials to develop a work programme in conjunction with key partners around resolving uncertainties in relation to the case for change as well as options and issues related to implementation in order for Cabinet to be in a position to take decisions on the Working Group’s final report.
    o Invite Ministers to report back to Cabinet in April 2020 to seek agreement to the details of that work programme.
    o Agree to interim operating funding of $1 million in 2019/20 to the Ministry ofTransport for the consultancy and other external costs to scope the workprogramme by the April 2020 report back date, with this expenditure charged against the Provincial Growth Fund."

A clear direction of travel has been set, now its "just" government processes to actually implement that direction of travel. If the recommendation didn't have the Minister of Finance's signature I'd be concerned, but it does, so I'm not.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...ort-relocation

Best summary of announcement by Shane Jones today with links to the report etc.

I suspect RTM is right - timed to perfection for the election.