sharetrader
Page 35 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Who knows if the port will ever move north. But if it does, then I see three things:

A whole bunch of land coming available on the Auckland waterfront, and a never-ending series of reports, proposals, reviews, plans and counterplans, with nothing happening for a decade or more. With at least one debt issue to fund the fiasco.

A massive infrastructure spend to connect the port to the national transport/logistics network. Funded, hopefully, by a series of debt issues.

A big redevelopment of the poet, with calls on shareholders capital, as well as at least two debt issues.

So I see this as an opportunity for some well-structured debt investments from a number of players, and as a series of capital-raisings by the port itself.

Plenty of time to wait for another share-based infrastructure yield play to come onto the market, no hurry to buy MMH for at least ten years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Who knows if the port will ever move north. But if it does, then I see three things:

A whole bunch of land coming available on the Auckland waterfront, and a never-ending series of reports, proposals, reviews, plans and counterplans, with nothing happening for a decade or more. With at least one debt issue to fund the fiasco.

A massive infrastructure spend to connect the port to the national transport/logistics network. Funded, hopefully, by a series of debt issues.

A big redevelopment of the poet, with calls on shareholders capital, as well as at least two debt issues.

So I see this as an opportunity for some well-structured debt investments from a number of players, and as a series of capital-raisings by the port itself.

Plenty of time to wait for another share-based infrastructure yield play to come onto the market, no hurry to buy MMH for at least ten years or more.
    Do some research - best one is how Sydney shifted port operations from Darling Harbour to Port Botany.

I think you are partly correct, however the debt issues will IMO be bulk-standard NZ Treasury issue's to raise cash.

The news link below notes that the government intends to borrow an extra $12 billion for "capital infrastructure like schools, transport networks and hospitals over the next five year."
    https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...cid=spartanntp

While schools and hospitals can undoubtably gobble several billion, doing much more than that, beyond current plans, within the next five years would be difficult. That indicates the bulk of the additional money goes into transport networks. Guess what transport network needs a lot of funding if its to be improved?
    Last edited by Scrunch; 11-12-2019 at 05:49 PM. Reason: clarity

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Do some research - best one is how Sydney shifted port operations from Darling Harbour to Port Botany.
    How was it funded?

i was surprised at the lack of any go ahead given to shovel ready projects in Grant Robertson's infrastructure spending announcement.

I would have expected him to at least announce sipping a bung to Kiwi Rail for them to get on with engineering investigations for the Marsden Point rail spur.

I hope this infrastructure imitative doesn't turn into Kiwi Build MK II.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 11-12-2019 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Spell checker gone wild.
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

How was it funded?
    Government funded.

Looking forward to the release of the Report today and what the government intends to do to make the shift happen:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/on-the-in...-auckland-move

Go NZF!

Go NZ!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”

- George Bernard Shaw

“We choose to go to the moon not because it's easy, but because it's hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.”

- John F Kennedy

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    …...

I would have expected him to at least announce sipping a bung to Kiwi Rail for them to get on with engineering investigations for the Marsden Point rail spur.
    ……..

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    I understood that this work was already underway. Be good to know what the outcome is. I also thought I saw somewhere that the peaty nature of the land might make it more difficult. Can't verify the second bit.

"KiwiRail begins geo-tech studies for Northport spur line"

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU18...-spur-line.htm

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I understood that this work was already underway. Be good to know what the outcome is. I also thought I saw somewhere that the peaty nature of the land might make it more difficult. Can't verify the second bit.

More info....
    https://www.kiwirail.co.nz/what-we-d...-rejuvenation/

"This follows a $2.2 million investment to undertake geotechnical and other assessments along the route of a proposed spur line to Marsden Point and Northport, which was completed in early 2019."

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post

I did hear of a subdivision in the Ruakaka area where the Drainage all moved not long after the work was completed. Not sure if it was a developer cutting costs or the peaty nature of the land, probably both.

Shane Jones rushed to hospital from over work and exhaustion and looking at his jowls maybe a bit over weight as well. Hopefully it is due to the excitement around his big announcement today. Or all the hard out lobbying he has done to get his project through.
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-12-2019 at 08:36 AM.