sharetrader
Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I thought this might be a positive for POAs move north. The video is not encouraging.

$1.3billion cost, insufficient freight to justify spend, line might have to close in 5 years due to safety, a link to Marsden Point is being pondered.

I suppose the more that gets spent on the rail the more momentum for a shift North increases but the video is like a Whatsup post on this thread.
    In what way is the video not encouraging? There was always going to be significant rail work required to transport containers from Wangarei down to Auckland. Unless I missed something in the video, the planning and physical work to improve the rail line is continuing and gaining speed.

Some of the bridges may need to close in 5 years without safety work being done - but doesn't the video say two bridges are being replaced so the problem is being solved?

Of course current freight volumes don't justify the spending, they will primarily be from what Northland imports from Auckland and what Northland ships down to Auckland. If the port is shifted, this equation flips and becomes what Auckland imports from Northland and what Auckland ships up to Northland. Auckland is of course a lot larger than Northland so the second equation is a lot bigger, hence more traffic on the railway line in forward looking scenarios.

I'm speculating here, but I suspect cabinet rather than just ministerial sign-off would have been required for this package of work. The accompanying commentary to get this sign-off is likely to have noted that its only a sensible infrastructure investment if freight is moved from Ports of Auckland. The proposal was agreed.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Scrunch View Post
    In what way is the video not encouraging? There was always going to be significant rail work required to transport containers from Wangarei down to Auckland. Unless I missed something in the video, the planning and physical work to improve the rail line is continuing and gaining speed.
    It is and it isn't. The captions in the video were

-$1.3billion cost -insufficient freight to justify spend -line might have to close in 5 years due to safety -a link to Marsden Point is being pondered.

Good news for the North either way but still cagey regarding a move of POA to Marsden Point. Pointing in the right direction but still not a firm commitment. The captions in the video seemed very negative.

Maybe they could have spun it better.
    -$1.3billion cost

- freight expected to pick up with possible shift of POA

- additional plans to ensure safety over the next five years

- steps taken towards a link to Marsden Point.

I hope your speculation in the last sentence is correct.
    Last edited by Aaron; 02-06-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    It is and it isn't. The captions in the video were

-$1.3billion cost -insufficient freight to justify spend -line might have to close in 5 years due to safety -a link to Marsden Point is being pondered.

Good news for the North either way but still cagey regarding a move of POA to Marsden Point. Pointing in the right direction but still not a firm commitment. The captions in the video seemed very negative.
    Perhaps ask yourself why this money is being spent, if not as preliminary work for the port shift? Makes a lot more sense in that light, does it not?

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Perhaps ask yourself why this money is being spent, if not as preliminary work for the port shift? Makes a lot more sense in that light, does it not?
    Agreed but still not a definite commitment to move POA.

Herbacious

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Thanks.

“The work will be completed in stages, with the first objective being able to carry hi-cube containers through the tunnels between Whangārei and Auckland by Christmas," he said.”

I note they don’t say which Christmas. Seems pretty quick if they mean 2020.
    Does this include a link to the port ? Or is that a pre-election announcement ?
    As I understand it, the work to allow hi-cube containers through the tunnels is going to involve lowering the ground level rather than increasing the height of the tunnel. So in simple terms, lift a section of track, dig it out some, lay new bedding and presumably reinforce the foundations of the tunnel, lay the track again. So probably wouldn't take anywhere near as long as it might.

Permanent Newbie

More talk of a move North.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...?ocid=msedgntp

Although not positive. Bottom line for a NZ First coalition deal.

Although is Northport's Vision 4 growth big enough.

https://www.vision4growth.co.nz/

Outside thinking.

Conservation concerns re Northport proposal....... read article here.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    There are no free lunches are there. Maybe the whales can be moved to Hauraki Gulf.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    First of a dozen reports that are need to be done by independent parties in order to make a informed case to see if the move ever is necessary and then some to see if it stacks up financially !