sharetrader
Page 34 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Permanent Newbie

Cheers Balance I will wait with bated breath for the Thursday announcement.

Good to see a basis for your valuations. Although if the business case is using cheap Northland Land that means the MMH shareholders will need to sell it cheap. Still hard to see our directors getting us a big price.
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-12-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

Good to see a basis for your valuations. Although if the business case is using cheap Northland Land that means the MMH shareholders will need to sell it cheap. Still hard to see our directors getting us a big price.
    Like AIA, you don’t sell - you lease the land out.

Then, sit back and watch the value increase year by year, decade by decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

There's a difference between the business case economics and who pays for what. Better roads and rail between Auckland and Northland is a government cost. An expanded wharf, and port equipment is likely to be a Northport cost. This might be a 50/50 cost between MMH ant POT. It may involve new capital with both companies reducing their share.

Either way MMH owns a heap of nearby land and a share of a profitable expanding port.

What will get the business case through is the better Auckland CBD it creates. That's why the PM is saying POA has to shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrunch View Post
    There's a difference between the business case economics and who pays for what. Better roads and rail between Auckland and Northland is a government cost. An expanded wharf, and port equipment is likely to be a Northport cost. This might be a 50/50 cost between MMH ant POT. It may involve new capital with both companies reducing their share.

Either way MMH owns a heap of nearby land and a share of a profitable expanding port.

What will get the business case through is the better Auckland CBD it creates. That's why the PM is saying POA has to shift.
    Unquestionably MMH will need to raise capital to build the port.

The lovely thing is that there are many options for MMH to do so.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...-auckland-move

Renege on Northland and NZF is history.

Onwards and forwards.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    My brother in law took me for a tour around my companies at Marsden Cove: MMH (logs for Africa) and NZR. Interesting location.
    After looking at the various bits of real estate, marinas, sub-divisions, boat launching areas, beaches. shelf fish gathering areas, golf course I wonder whether we have this right in the North ?

Maybe in fact we should leave the Auckland port open in Auckland, expand it as necessary and close the one in Northland. With the traffic, the unitary plan, subdivision and general congestion, Auckland is stuffed anyway. Shut down and dismantle the refinery and sell all the land to the retirement village companies (Oceania, Summerset, Ryman etc) and Hoppers (canal living) . And create a lovely maritime retirement area. Lovely clean deep water, just 11nm from the Hen & Chicks. Bay of Islands a hop step and a skip away. Mokohinaus a little further for the more adventurous. A paradise for people could be created here that might be even more valuable to the North than a log port and an oil refinery. Hmmmmm….might sell my shares !
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-...ectid=12292074
    "Northland environmentalists say no to port move"
    Well, didn't sell my shares. Here we go. Someone else thinks its quite lovely around there as well.
    Of course the Orcas will now be able to play safely in Auckland Harbour.
    Last edited by RTM; 11-12-2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Addition

Advanced Member

And then of course there is Waye Browns perspective.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-...ectid=12292030

A small excert…
    "Northland politicians like Matt King - who appeared to be an apologist for Ports of Auckland rather than champion of the North - need to be consigned to the dustbin of history if they don't get on board now."
    National must be weighing up very carefully how to play this.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    And then of course there is Waye Browns perspective.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-...ectid=12292030

A small excert…
    "Northland politicians like Matt King - who appeared to be an apologist for Ports of Auckland rather than champion of the North - need to be consigned to the dustbin of history if they don't get on board now."
    National must be weighing up very carefully how to play this.
    All in the polls - how do Aucklanders feel about shifting the port. Was 62% last poll.

Watch out for the new polling in the new year.

Expecting ever more Aucklanders to agree - biggest mistake POA did is to build the multi-storey carpark right on the waters. Monument to their fat cat arrogance, incompetence and sense of entitlement.

IMO

Thank you Winston and in advance thank you Jacinda.