sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Mid of Middle_earth
    Posts
    908

    Default The Idea of a National/Green govt


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Mid of Middle_earth
    Posts
    908

    Default

    It may be like seeing a unicorn for the first time but who knows I signed the above petition. #ConsiderOurVotes

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    That's ridiculous. National is so far removed from Greens social and economic pipe-dream socialist policies there would not be enough common ground to last them till morning tea. Bright red is the new green.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Wellington, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    On Kiwiblog yesterday - What could the Greens get if they went with National not Winston? Possible accommodations in exchange for abstaining on confidence and supply. Some good discussion but strongly suggest stop reading posts made after about 6pm yesterday, at which point posts deteriorated rapidly.

    https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2017/09/w...t_winston.html

  5. #5
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    9,067

  6. #6
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    They certainly will be.

  7. #7
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    There was me thinking their job was to be champions for the environment. And how better to do that than have a meaningful seat in Government.

  8. #8
    Trying to get outta here
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    There was me thinking their job was to be champions for the environment. And how better to do that than have a meaningful seat in Government.
    The Greens are not savvy enough to realise that going with National would give them a real voice for once in their long history, they would rather pay lip service in a 3 way coalition and stick to their pig-headedness.

  9. #9
    One Fearsome Feline winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    28,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    The Greens are not savvy enough to realise that going with National would give them a real voice for once in their long history, they would rather pay lip service in a 3 way coalition and stick to their pig-headedness.
    Shaw is the most pig-headedness of them all

    Real disappointment is that guy - he seemed to be the one to make Green a real party and has blown it conpletely

    They'll moan and winge about this and about that for another three years and nobody will listen .... and hopefully reflect on the lost opportunity (even if it did mean selling their soul)
    “What the wise man does in the beginning, the fool does in the end”

  10. #10
    Membaa
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    3,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Shaw is the most pig-headedness of them all

    Real disappointment is that guy - he seemed to be the one to make Green a real party and has blown it conpletely

    They'll moan and winge about this and about that for another three years and nobody will listen .... and hopefully reflect on the lost opportunity (even if it did mean selling their soul)
    Sad really isn't it.

    I think FWIW, that we might all accomodate a voice for the environment in either the left or the right, but these idealogical tossers in the Greens don't seem to have any clue about how to get into Government as a minor party, in order to put into effect the essence of their ideals!

    I heard today a summary of all the things they've managed to accomplish whilst not in Government, and it's fairly impressive but not overly convincing or inspiring, you'd think they would FINALLY decide that conceding some of their idealism to hold a seat in power, albeit a minor party and tenuous, would further their ideals moreso than being in opposition or worse on the back benches.

    Some just persist with cutting ones nose off to spite ones face, this sums up the Greens IMHO.

  11. #11
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    9,067

    Default

    Lol sorry but no matter what you or the media or national stooges etc say or think or summarise we will just have to wait on winston first ;that sums it up really.

  12. #12
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Shaw is the most pig-headedness of them all
    I think James Shaw is wonderful. He is a principled man who is committed to shifting the wealth from the haves to the have-nots. And totally dedicated to ensuring the dream of being carbon free remains a dream and if our rivers ever needed a loud voice his will be much louder in offices that used to be filled with more people. Parliament I think needs Bridesmaids and there is no-one more practiced at this than James and his Crew.

    And isn't it wonderful that Met Tu can spend some time in her castle in Dunedin. Frolicking around a big old stone building might be good practice for whatever her future may bring her.

  13. #13
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post

    I heard today a summary of all the things they've managed to accomplish whilst not in Government,
    I like Lists - especially short ones

  14. #14
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Lol sorry but no matter what you or the media or national stooges etc say or think or summarise we will just have to wait on winston first ;that sums it up really.
    I feel for those silly Winston first MPs sitting around all day talking about Allah knows what, pretending to decide who will be the government, when Winston knows already, but the miserable old bathplug won't tell them.

  15. #15
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    9,067

    Default

    Greens almost certainly will get anther seat; if Labour do too that will certainly be a boost for their chances. A one seat majority wouldn't cut it.

  16. #16
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Greens almost certainly will get anther seat; if Labour do too that will certainly be a boost for their chances. A one seat majority wouldn't cut it.
    Lets assume you are right. That would give a Labour (46 seats) / Green (8 seats) / NZ First (9 Seats) coalition of 63 seats. National (56 seats) and ACT (1 Seat) would be in opposition with 57 seats. Giving a the Coalition a 3 seat buffer.

    This means for the coalition to work there cant be any more than 2 fruitloops (oops I mean people with integrity and a conscience) in the coalition who are a risk of crossing the house. Bwahahaha

  17. #17
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Anyone here prepared to pick Greens ending up with 9 seats and NZ First with 9 as well?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Lets assume you are right. That would give a Labour (46 seats) / Green (8 seats) / NZ First (9 Seats) coalition of 63 seats. National (56 seats) and ACT (1 Seat) would be in opposition with 57 seats. Giving a the Coalition a 3 seat buffer.

    This means for the coalition to work there cant be any more than 2 fruitloops (oops I mean people with integrity and a conscience) in the coalition who are a risk of crossing the house. Bwahahaha
    It's odds on that we normally have a byelection or two in each cycle.

    Fortuitously, since neither the Greens or NZFirst won an electorate seat, it would only be a Labour seat that potentially would be lost that would halve the projected majority or make it disappear in a bare majority situation.

    Labour won few rural seats apart from West Coast so it's the Auckland Mount electorates, Beltway seats, Christchurch and Dunedin that they need to shore up...

    And hope no Labour/Green or NZ First backbencher crosses the floor - remember Labour were exposed over foreshore and seabed when Turia resigned Parliament and won the byelection as an independent.

    I don't think she was a fruitloop at all. Even if you don't agree with her politics, she had the integrity to resign, seek and have an elected mandate to resume in Parliament and did a deal with the Key government.

    If there is a left bloc, they'd better be mindful that they pay more than lip service to Treaty and Maori issues because the clean sweep of the Maori seats is both a strength and a weakness.

  19. #19
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post

    If there is a left bloc, they'd better be mindful that they pay more than lip service to Treaty and Maori issues because the clean sweep of the Maori seats is both a strength and a weakness.
    And that left bloc need to be mindful of NZ First stated policy which is:

    MĀORI SEATS REFERENDUM

    • Māori don’t need the Māori seats. They don’t need tokenism. That is why we commit to a referendum of all electors to retain or abolish the Māori seats.

    SERVING MĀORI INTERESTS

    • Ensure that all policy-making is based on need and not on race, creed or colour.
    • Restructure the Ministry for Māori Development.
    • End Whanau Ora and redirect resources into programmes that work for all Māori.
    • Encourage Māori to build houses on collectively owned land.
    • Strengthen the structures of the Māori Women's Welfare League, Māori Wardens and Te Kōhanga Reo.
    • Address entrenched problems associated with the rating of multiple owned Māori land and rates remission.
    • Ensure that the role of the Māori Language Commission is focused on actively protecting Māori language and culture, not under the guise of a Treaty obligation, but rather because they are the indigenous language and culture of New Zealand.

    THE TREATY OF WAITANGI

    • The Treaty should be a source of national pride and unity and not used to expand the separate rights of Māori or anyone else.
    • The Treaty is not part of the New Zealand Constitution. It is not capable of supporting the extraction of so-called ‘principles’ for any legislative or government purpose. Ill-defined and abstract ‘principles’ are a recipe for legal and constitutional misunderstanding and dispute.
    • The Waitangi Tribunal must fully, fairly and finally complete the settlement of all outstanding claims. New Zealand First believes in the concept of a fair go for all New Zealanders and this includes settling genuine historical grievances.


    And best I dont say anymore on those Maori seats or how these policie could play out as it will only get me into trouble

  20. #20
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Greens just gifted National their questions during Question Time. That will put a dampen on Green MP exposure. Must be some quid pro quo in there somewhere. Labour / NZ First ought to be a bit worried

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •