sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ASX- ETF : Betafunds

https://www.betashares.com.au/fund-list/fund-overview/

Great way to diverse one's ASX portfolio

Have held BBUS.asx before and plan to hold again as I really think we can't be far away from a sizable correction esp in the US markets
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    https://www.betashares.com.au/fund-list/fund-overview/

Great way to diverse one's ASX portfolio

Have held BBUS.asx before and plan to hold again as I really think we can't be far away from a sizable correction esp in the US markets
    The thing is though... will the ASX correct? They have gone no where since 2007-2008 whilst all other bourses have doubled or even better?
    Serious questions.

Sorry, thought you were referring to BEAR or other ASX shorts. I see BBUS is based on US stocks.... thanks for the link
    Last edited by blackcap; 02-10-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    The thing is though... will the ASX correct? They have gone no where since 2007-2008 whilst all other bourses have doubled or even better?
    Serious questions.

Sorry, thought you were referring to BEAR or other ASX shorts. I see BBUS is based on US stocks.... thanks for the link
    ...Yes I'm trying to take a 50k AUD position in BBUS.asx (which is a leveraged 2-1 short against the S&P500)

I agree the ASX won't be as badly affected percent wise as the bubble US markets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJu_xV0zscE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed0TXsGN3wc
    Last edited by JBmurc; 02-10-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Guru

...Yes I'm trying to take a 50k AUD position in BBUS.asx (which is a leveraged 2-1 short against the S&P500)

I agree the ASX won't be as badly affected percent wise as the bubble US markets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJu_xV0zscE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed0TXsGN3wc
    Good luck with the short. Are you aware of the citiwarrants products that also allow you to go short on a wide variety of instruments and options availaiable? Traded on the ASX as well. I have gone short WOW. (woolworths)

They allow you to short a variety of indexes, commodities and stocks. So possible to short nasdaq, hangseng, Dow etc but also a bunch of Australian stocks.
    https://au.citifirst.com/EN/search/M...Npk3F/9j3AV58=
    Last edited by blackcap; 02-10-2017 at 05:04 PM.

I did for a short period of time did some CWA warrant trading .......high risk to reward as spreads where large ....my helpful CWA broker certainly made it easy for me to invest and blow cash..and in the end after blowing 8k AUD we both agreed the Warrant market was really taylormade for the BIG 100k+ orders where their spreads where far closer ....I always rememeber the term "Time value" and even if I called a move correct the time value would eat any profits and leverage my losses ....personal I hate CFD,Futures,Warrants.... only cause I have been burnt too many times..... Much rather trade ords , fixed date opts , and ETF's

Guru

I did for a short period of time did some CWA warrant trading .......high risk to reward as spreads where large ....my helpful CWA broker certainly made it easy for me to invest and blow cash..and in the end after blowing 8k AUD we both agreed the Warrant market was really taylormade for the BIG 100k+ orders where their spreads where far closer ....I always rememeber the term "Time value" and even if I called a move correct the time value would eat any profits and leverage my losses ....personal I hate CFD,Futures,Warrants.... only cause I have been burnt too many times..... Much rather trade ords , fixed date opts , and ETF's
    No worries, I understand where you are coming from. Although most of the Citiwarrants have market makers and there is only a 2 cent spread. Ie in my WOWKOP buy the spread was 245 247 and I bought at 247. But if its not for you its not for you. I am in no way involved with Citi, just was unsure if you knew about the products. The thing is with BEAR and Beta products etc there is still a spread that you need to take. I guess to avoid the spread (or impact on trading) its best to take a longer term view and stick with it rather than try to day trade the warrants etc as that is just a losing strategy. You are correct on the time value bit. It does eat into your profits... thats the price we pay for the leverage provided

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    No worries, I understand where you are coming from. Although most of the City warrants have market makers and there is only a 2 cent spread. Ie in my WOWKOP buy the spread was 245 247 and I bought at 247. But if its not for you its not for you. I am in no way involved with Citi, just was unsure if you knew about the products. The thing is with BEAR and Beta products etc there is still a spread that you need to take. I guess to avoid the spread (or impact on trading) its best to take a longer-term view and stick with it rather than try to day trade the warrants etc as that is just a losing strategy. You are correct on the time value bit. It does eat into your profits... that's the price we pay for the leverage provided
    Yes for sure was some time ago 2007-9 etc ... going from painful memory's .... was always more expensive to buy the good warrants ..esp if like me I was only keen on putting in 5-6k at a time not much to pick from ....yet if I had say $60-$100k he could get me much better warrants.. with less time decay better entry price ..etc

From my personal experience unless you're very skilled with deep pockets then leverage is best to be avoided ...

Got enough leverage as it is ....with the bulk of my trading funds a mix of IRD(GST) or Westpac Banks (4.49% p.a) ......

here's a marketing piece from the CWA guys - https://player.vimeo.com/video/19242274
    Last edited by JBmurc; 02-10-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Default Didn't get my BBUS ....might be happy to wait as S&P futures looking positive

Advantages of - beta ETF's -BBUS.asx

Access – obtain magnified returns that are negatively correlated to U.S. sharemarket as simply as buying any share

Convenience – investors avoid complications and costs of CFDs, futures and short selling

No margin calls for investors – cannot lose more than initial investment

No W-8 BEN forms and no US estate tax implications for investors – simplified tax administration, unlike cross-listed alternatives

Reduced currency risk – US dollar exposure hedged to the Australian dollar

Liquidity – available to trade on ASX like any share

....yes the fee is 1.2% p/a

Share Collector

This article by Jared Dillian is worth a read in regard to leveraged ETF's and the "beta slippage" that is created by the daily re-balancing of the ETF:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...leveraged-etfs

In my case, I tried BBOZ for a brief time and was reasonably impressed at the speed with which I could lose money on it. Any suggestions on ways to short these leveraged ETF's would be good.
    Last edited by Lizard; 04-10-2017 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    This article by Jared Dillian is worth a read in regard to leveraged ETF's and the "beta slippage" that is created by the daily re-balancing of the ETF:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...leveraged-etfs

In my case, I tried BBOZ for a brief time and was reasonably impressed at the speed with which I could lose money on it. Any suggestions on ways to short these leveraged ETF's would be good.
    Not sure if you could short an ETF ? guess so as its traded like a share best to check with your CFD provider....
    Going from the charts they will certainly move just need the right direction ...aka if the ASX continues to tick higher your of course going to lose on a leverged Short ETF