sharetrader

Question Long term investing

Hi,

I understand this is a traders forum, but hopefully my question is still valid.

I already have numerous long term investments with the likes of Kiwisaver, Smartshares and Superlife.

However, the above companies have a specific range of offerings, and I am looking for more options/diversity.

I would like to buy and hold shares, ETFs, etc on the AU and US market - hold these for 5,10,20 years - until they profit or I need the money.
    I am not a day trader, and probably never will be.

I am looking to put down some $'s on a semi regular basis on things that look interesting, that may have a future growth and a great return (like we all do).

I have approached the local banks, ANZ, ASB, etc and they allow me to trade online on the ASX, NZX and via phone on the US market. However, their fees are rather high.

I then started to look elsewhere - and so far I have found Halifax - where I can buy US, AU and NZ shares, ETFs, etc and hold them for many years. These guys have great fees, respond to all my questions - however, I have not met anyone else that has dealings with them. What is the general opinion of Halifax in NZ? Do people on these forums use them? Are they reputable and trustworthy? I have already confirmed that all my investments will be held in my name, clarified the trade fee structure and foreign exchange rates. All sound good.

If not them, can someone recommend a reputable company in NZ that will allow me to purchase US, AU and NZ shares, ETFs, etc for long term investing, at low fees.

Thank you in advance,
    NZT

Banned

Halifax don't deal NZ shares as far as I can see from their website.

that's OK, I am interested in US and AU stocks at the moment.

Dilettante

Have you looked into Vanguard and their S&P500 fund for example NZT ? https://investor.vanguard.com/home/
    May be worth a look !

thank you for that - my main question however is: how do I invest in overseas stocks (AU and US) when living in NZ.
    Banks are one way (with high fees). Are there other companies in NZ with lower fees that people use, that they can recommend to me?

Quote Originally Posted by NZT View Post
    thank you for that - my main question however is: how do I invest in overseas stocks (AU and US) when living in NZ.
    Banks are one way (with high fees). Are there other companies in NZ with lower fees that people use, that they can recommend to me?
    Hey mate, I wanted access to the ASX without getting shafted with FX fees etc, so I ended up flying to Aussie for a long weekend and opened a Commbank and Commsec account. The money I've saved from no FX fees and getting access to low expense ETF's has easily surpassed what that one weekend cost me. I can also receive distributions/dividends via direct credit into my Aussie account. Also have the added bonus of having a local debit card which will come in handy for the next Aussie holiday.

Do you have to file tax returns in AU though?
    Also, I thought you are not able to buy US stocks in Aussie, unless you are an AU citizen.

Investor

Despite this site's name, I do not think there are many 'traders' here. Mostly mid/long term investors.

right, I see...thank you for all the info so far