sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Process of Research

Hey ShareTraders,

Interested to find out what your process of research and due diligence is? So that i can learn to adopt good habits in evaluating a share to invest in. Please.

Super Investor

Default I feel a book coming on

Quote Originally Posted by BullishBear View Post
    Hey ShareTraders,

Interested to find out what your process of research and due diligence is? So that i can learn to adopt good habits in evaluating a share to invest in. Please.
    The 5 steps".......7 steps ......10steps.
    How to research shares and influence people
    Boats and Shares

Or this
    http://www.intelligentinvestor.co.nz...-Yearbook.html
    h2

Quote Originally Posted by h2so4 View Post
    The 5 steps".......7 steps ......10steps.
    How to research shares and influence people
    Boats and Shares

Or this
    http://www.intelligentinvestor.co.nz...-Yearbook.html
    Thnaks h2so4,since you are the only one bothering to reply I will follow your influence.

Cheers, and prosperous investing...

Book ordered.

Permanent Newbie

Hey ShareTraders,

I'll let you know when I know. I am thinking that I am too lazy to do a lot of research so am formulating a plan to look at just dividends. Possible set a hurdle rate of 7%-8% yield before tax. I am also risk averse so will be looking mostly at property companies, power generators, Ports (if they ever come down out of the stratosphere), infrastructure (Chorus, Vector) etc. Mostly sectors with huge political risk.

That way I only need to research dividend history and maybe look at operating cashflow/dividends to see how many times the dividend is covered by earnings and hopefully how likely the dividend is to continue. That is in my head no actual steps taken as yet. Also will be implementing this after the next financial market meltdown and ideally at the peak of the next interest rate cycle.

Mostly I just tend to troll baby boomers on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'll let you know when I know. I am thinking that I am too lazy to do a lot of research so am formulating a plan to look at just dividends. Possible set a hurdle rate of 7%-8% yield before tax. I am also risk averse so will be looking mostly at property companies, power generators, Ports (if they ever come down out of the stratosphere), infrastructure (Chorus, Vector) etc. Mostly sectors with huge political risk.

That way I only need to research dividend history and maybe look at operating cashflow/dividends to see how many times the dividend is covered by earnings and hopefully how likely the dividend is to continue. That is in my head no actual steps taken as yet. Also will be implementing this after the next financial market meltdown and ideally at the peak of the next interest rate cycle.

Mostly I just tend to troll baby boomers on this site.
    Thanks Aaron, trolling the correct generation how do you know they are a babyboomer, that seems to be a feat as fun as picking the prosperous investment?

Permanent Newbie

Thanks Aaron, trolling the correct generation how do you know they are a babyboomer, that seems to be a feat as fun as picking the prosperous investment?
    I don't mean to troll them I just point out some things about NZ's National Superannuation that I think is unfair and they tend to fly off the handle in an apoplectic rage mumbling things like "paid taxes all my life" "20% mortgage rates" etc etc. They take it as a personal attack rather than reasoned debate. Good to see Bill English joining the debate and sad to see the other parties acting like spineless weasels trying score points and win votes. Labour may have just lost my vote, which is probably good news for them as they had my vote last election and that went really badly for them. I don't think voters will allow a govt in that will change anything.

I don't mean to troll them I just point out some things about NZ's National Superannuation that I think is unfair and they tend to fly off the handle in an apoplectic rage mumbling things like "paid taxes all my life" "20% mortgage rates" etc etc. They take it as a personal attack rather than reasoned debate. Good to see Bill English joining the debate and sad to see the other parties acting like spineless weasels trying score points and win votes. Labour may have just lost my vote, which is probably good news for them as they had my vote last election and that went really badly for them. I don't think voters will allow a govt in that will change anything.
    Hey Aaron, Change is not something Governments are useless at, it is a matter of best slight of hand wins in my opinion. Superannuation should be started with teaching the young to save their pocket money. Financial literacy from the youth is appalling.

We wait far too long and allow life to dictate our focus on financial matters and life as you might have gathered is not fair at all.

I will never forgive the Finance company that allowed my to go into debt for 82k buying a BMW convertible at the age of 26, we need safeguards all along the life's path and if the government can not manage their affairs successfully and allow for planning for things like superannuation what hope have we to address these issues unless they are taught early.

Have you looked at The Opportunities Party, some radical policies being proposed there. ( I know some dont like the cat slayer ) but let's talk policy rather than personality.

Maybe if they laid off the smashed avocado salads, trim lattes and sky tv they'red find funding their retirement incomes more easy?

Permanent Newbie

Hey Aaron, Change is not something Governments are useless at, it is a matter of best slight of hand wins in my opinion. Superannuation should be started with teaching the young to save their pocket money. Financial literacy from the youth is appalling.

We wait far too long and allow life to dictate our focus on financial matters and life as you might have gathered is not fair at all.

I will never forgive the Finance company that allowed my to go into debt for 82k buying a BMW convertible at the age of 26, we need safeguards all along the life's path and if the government can not manage their affairs successfully and allow for planning for things like superannuation what hope have we to address these issues unless they are taught early.

Have you looked at The Opportunities Party, some radical policies being proposed there. ( I know some dont like the cat slayer ) but let's talk policy rather than personality.
    I have great respect for Gareth Morgan and will consider voting TOP closer to the election even if it is looking like a wasted vote at this stage. Shame that the cat thing has defined him as he has taken the time to look into and think about various issues.
    Hope you enjoyed driving the beemer back in the day. Why would you blame the finance company? I would go off my nut if my kids suggested doing something similar.

I have great respect for Gareth Morgan and will consider voting TOP closer to the election even if it is looking like a wasted vote at this stage. Shame that the cat thing has defined him as he has taken the time to look into and think about various issues.
    Hope you enjoyed driving the beemer back in the day. Why would you blame the finance company? I would go off my nut if my kids suggested doing something similar.
    Yes, I like Gareth's Policies very much, his evidence based mantra is refreshing.
    The Finance company well that was because they approved my loan when i was on commission only income, unfortunately the wisdom of my parents did not come into consideration on the application, fancy cars and brick car mobiles were all the rage in the eighties as a yuppie I had to have one, alas I have learnt the hard way to live within my means and most importantly to enjoy doing so.