sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Member

Years ago ,when I worked on elections, I remember the local Returning Officer commenting that a high percentage of special votes were not allowed or wasted. I don't remember hearing why this was so but the message we were getting behind the desks was that anyone who came in to vote and was not on the register was to be given a special vote, no argument, and its validity would be decided at the count. This "validity" question may well be behind the long delay between the election and the final count

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    I did a special this time because I did an advance vote outside of my electorate (I did it around the corner from the office) and I know that a number of my colleagues did this time as well.

None of us are first time voters but we all decided to get in and vote early so unlike others I don't presume 400,000 specials are young people or left leaning. On election night the early counts were the advance votes within electoral boundaries and that wasn't left leaning...
    Have to agree in the main RGR, I know a lot of not first time voters who voted early and/or out of their electorate, not all would be left leaning either from my observation.
    However, we will find out soon enough, put it this way, won't be surprised either way.
    Last edited by Jay; 07-10-2017 at 09:55 AM.

So where are the Greens in all this? James Shaw apparently sent packing to the movies yesterday. Given they also hold a key to a Party being government I would have thought they would have been a lot more vocal about their position. Are they going to be a doormat - or do they have the will to be a truly effective coalition partner?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    So where are the Greens in all this? James Shaw apparently sent packing to the movies yesterday. Given they also hold a key to a Party being government I would have thought they would have been a lot more vocal about their position. Are they going to be a doormat - or do they have the will to be a truly effective coalition partner?
    The Grerns have no power. If they played the game to win, they would never align with any party. If that were the case, arguably their vote would have been significantly higher - and even if not there would be no kingmaker. They would be sought after just as Winston would be. They just haven't learnt, As a minor they should be prepared to make small policy advances at every election.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    The Grerns have no power. .
    Math has never been my strongest skill but by my reckoning NZ First plus Labour does not make a majority. So the Greens hold all the power - or at least power equal to NZ First as far as Labour is concerned.

For example. If Winston wants a train from Auckland to Whangarei, and Jacinda wants one from Tauranga to Auckland then James should insist on one from the Manawatu to Hawkes bay. If Winston wants to keep things in NZ James should be insisting on Kiwibank offering lower mortgages.

Legend

Math has never been my strongest skill but by my reckoning NZ First plus Labour does not make a majority. So the Greens hold all the power - or at least power equal to NZ First as far as Labour is concerned.
    But their 'power' is to agree to whatever they are offered, or keep the L/G/W block right out of it altogether. That's not equal to Winston's power who can scramble off and screw some baubles out of the other major party. MMP will never work as intended until parties emerge who are free to head in either direction.

Probably worth remembering that James Shaw made gender equality a bottom line back in 2015 at the CTU conference. He was going to make sure half of all Green Cabinet Ministers were women and he was going to ensure other coalition parties did the same. This may be a sticking point with Winston who has 7 out of 9 MP's being men - I think he works on a meritocracy basis

Clever move James. That means half the Cabinet have to be non-women. So you might be nicely lined up for a Ministerial position.

Obviously while in (if) in government I expect him to get stuck into this gender inequality business - starting with the Greens who have 2 out of 8 MP's are non-women.

Legend

Probably worth remembering that James Shaw made gender equality a bottom line back in 2015 at the CTU conference. He was going to make sure half of all Green Cabinet Ministers were women and he was going to ensure other coalition parties did the same. This may be a sticking point with Winston who has 7 out of 9 MP's being men - I think he works on a meritocracy basis

Clever move James. That means half the Cabinet have to be non-women. So you might be nicely lined up for a Ministerial position.

Obviously while in (if) in government I expect him to get stuck into this gender inequality business - starting with the Greens who have 2 out of 8 MP's are non-women.
    As far as I can tell the gender balance means a minimum of 50% should be women, but 100% would be fine. Green logic.