sharetrader
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default AUD dividends to NZ

Hi, I am finding there seems to be an r issue of ASX companies making it harder for NZer's to receive AUD dividends. The most recent is Telstra. They don't seem to have a cheque option.
    How do those facing similar issues deal with this issue. I must have sent 10 emails to Link services Australia and still unable to get the dividend.
    Opening a bank account in Australia for someone not planning to live there is rather tricky and requires proof of an Aussie address and for you to be there.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by psychnurse View Post
    Hi, I am finding there seems to be an r issue of ASX companies making it harder for NZer's to receive AUD dividends. The most recent is Telstra. They don't seem to have a cheque option.
    How do those facing similar issues deal with this issue. I must have sent 10 emails to Link services Australia and still unable to get the dividend.
    Opening a bank account in Australia for someone not planning to live there is rather tricky and requires proof of an Aussie address and for you to be there.
    I think most (or at least a lot) Australian companies now direct credit to NZ bank accounts. About half my AUD dividends come in like that. My partners TLS comes straight in as NZ$ and has done for some while now.

You may find the div is being held waiting for your direct payment account instructions. I had similar experience as I had forgotten to supply the info but I did get an email explaining the hold up as they no longer sent cheques.

If you go to Aus for holidays it's a good way to have cash at hand with an Aus bank a/c. I didn't have to have an Australian address when I got a CBA bank account organized. I am with ASB securities which may have made it easier and definitely easier going there. I have managed to use the Aus account for various Aus share options which was far easier than using NZ accounts. You are right that a lot of companies no longer have the cheque option. The question would be what companies don't have a direct pay option?

For TLS shares you can have them domiciled on the NZ share registry and avoid the whole issue altogether.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    For TLS shares you can have them domiciled on the NZ share registry and avoid the whole issue altogether.
    Dividend would still be paid from Australia though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    That's right, I'm still waiting for my TLS dividend to be direct credited to my NZ bank account even after ringing Link twice.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by psychnurse View Post
    I opened my Australian bank accounts by sending some introductory emails, making appointments, and then turning up to both ANZ and CBA in Sydney. I freely admit that it would have been much harder if I hadn't turned up in person.

The only time I needed an Australian address was for posting out credit/debit cards when I shifted some transactional banking to Australia

The upside is that Australian dividends and interest stay in AUD and in Australia, which makes life easier and cheaper for subsequent transactions. Plus the admin of foreign currency accounts is much simpler and much cheaper in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    not at all certain why that is relevant - your NZ bank account is credited , it comes from the NZ registry , and even if the amount is derived from an AUD figure there is no cost of conversion , so I would repeat that having them domiciled in NZ , if possible,as it is for Telstra, can be useful to NZ residents.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    That's right, I'm still waiting for my TLS dividend to be direct credited to my NZ bank account even after ringing Link twice.

two weeks Couta, I fear they are sending yours via carrier pigeon across the Tasman, and they may have lost their way.
    Last edited by peat; 08-10-2017 at 03:58 PM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Banned

Finally after 2 weeks past payment date I'm going to get my TLS dividend paid tomorrow, rung Link NZ three times with no result so finally rung their Aussie office to sort it out. What makes it more ridiculous is that I received the dividend statement around 10 days ago. PS-Sold my TLS shares for a loss after the Ex date so won't be having this trouble going forward, pathetic really.

Can't claim their franking credits either, (and I predict that will NEVER change)...makes you wonder if its worth bothering with Australian companies especially with Australians playing underarm cricket on immigration, welfare benefits, paying full tax and Medicare levies but no voting rights or access to services and a whole host of other nationalistic policies aimed specifically to be discriminatory against Kiwi's. Why bother...
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-10-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine