sharetrader
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Stocks will benefit / suffer from a Labour government?

Who do you think will benefit / suffer from government policies?

Personally I think a drop in migration will impact aged care services. I also think potential house initiatives will impact house prices and possibly retirement stocks. Hospitality industries could also suffer with a drop in migration. AU banks may suffer somewhat as well as Z Energy.

I think construction companies may benefit, alongside selective healthcare services.

Your thoughts? Will be an interesting one to watch.

It's really hard to tell until all the committees building Labour's policies report back.

on limited info so far exporters should be big winners , retirement stocks maybe suffer from immigration pullback and having to pay more min wage. as zap says need more policy detail
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Will be an interesting one to watch...

Currently a hard question to answer, and it may be for some months, as no policy has really been detailed, other than apparently immigration will be cut to 20-30k (however I don't think this will hit retirement stocks as much as people think)

Exporters will benefit 'immediately' and I think interest rates will start to go up (due to labour throwing more money around, among other things) which could impact the housing market.

Slightly scary times right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyALD View Post
    Who do you think will benefit / suffer from government policies?

Personally I think a drop in migration will impact aged care services. I also think potential house initiatives will impact house prices and possibly retirement stocks. Hospitality industries could also suffer with a drop in migration. AU banks may suffer somewhat as well as Z Energy.

I think construction companies may benefit, alongside selective healthcare services.

Your thoughts? Will be an interesting one to watch.
    If the dollar stays down then stocks with overseas earnings will see a small lift in the NZD value of those profits. This could help companies like EBO and MHJ, although if negative sentiment pulls all stocks down, it may just minimize the size of the fall.

Companies that still manufacture in NZ and sell overseas will do well if they manage to retain some of the pricing gain directly as an increased margin or more indirectly as increased sales. This could helps companies like SKL but won't help those that have shifted manufacturing offshore FPH.

percy

Benefit.....Exporters,retailers,tourism,banks,fina nce companies,vehicle/equipment sellers.
    Struggle.....SKY TV paying more for programing,outward bound travel suppliers,and airlines.Freight companies will be hit by higher priced fuel,as will farmers.We will all pay more for imported goods.
    Last edited by percy; 19-10-2017 at 09:59 PM.

What do you think winston meant by his comments on “capitalism”? Increase in company taxes, CGT?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboyz View Post
    What do you think winston meant by his comments on “capitalism”? Increase in company taxes, CGT?
    He wanted to cut company tax in his election campaign, not sure on CGT

Traders will be happy tomorrow because of the volatility, and anyone looking to top up. I imagine a lot of stocks will drop then recover a little.

Property stock will do poorly. Couta will like the buying opportunities. It might take a while for people to become comfortable enough to raise PE if Labour don't damage the property market.

I suspect we will see some poorly thought out, far left social policy happening, that will increase NZs exposure to risk (mainly negative social effects, but also financial).

Hopefully they won't damage the property market, make everyone poor, and damage the economy. I suspect they won't, but it's a risk.

The market will probably take some time to acclimatise to new risks.

... Is my guess.

Winnie seems to be big on corporate welfare...

He has stated a need for a reduction in corporate tax rate to 25%
    + Reduction of the tax rate for income generated through exports to 20%
    + If 2% of revenues are used for RnD - Big tax credits are provided
    Also, the NZD remaining this low will provide further bottom line growth for foreign operations

ATM, FPH, CBL, TGH, THL, SML, ABA, PEB - will all be benefiting from these possible changes ( 80% of my portfolio )

I am rather optimistic about the future for the market.... the reaction in the coming weeks will provide plenty of buying opportunities.

Everyone will soon realise 99.9% of the listed companies are not likely to be materially impacted by this.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the NZDX is going to look like?
    Last edited by hardt; 19-10-2017 at 11:01 PM.