sharetrader
Page 185 of 697 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195235285685 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 6963
    IMO

Tell us what you stand for again lol

What do you mean? I assume you refer to my post in the Trump thread, do you?

I agree that the current NZ First (populist) led Labour government in NZ is much better than the current populist Trump government in the US. But liking one more than the other does not mean that I need to like any of them ...

I agree that Cindy & Co are probably well meaning (something I never would assume in the case of Trump and the current sad state of the GoP), but they are unfortunately quite good in hiding that they have any clues how to achieve perhaps good or at least acceptable goals and they are heavily ideological blind sided.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a government with good values as well as the competence to achieve with these values compatible goals?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

Wouldn't it be nice to have a government with good values as well as the competence to achieve with these values compatible goals?
    Like National? As far as I am concerned they are all just as corrupt as each other. But in a NZ context I would support National over Labour as I favour their policies. Not that I think they are any better or less corrupt. That doubles as an answer on the Trump thread.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Like National? As far as I am concerned they are all just as corrupt as each other. But in a NZ context I would support National over Labour as I favour their policies. Not that I think they are any better or less corrupt. That doubles as an answer on the Trump thread.
    Ditto blackcap. If anybody thinks the setup taped conversation is a sign of bad politics in NZ, they are naive. What did they think politics was like, whatever party. ? Politics, after all, is all about pushing ones agenda and influence.

I'm always in favour of looking at donations regulations. For example, I don't think its fair that my household pays much more towards Labour (involuntary) than we do towards National, through teacher union fees, without having a say in it.
    Last edited by iceman; 19-10-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ...I'm always in favour of looking at donations regulations. For example, I don't think its fair that my household pays much more towards Labour (involuntary) than we do towards National, through teacher union fees, without having a say in it.
    Teacher Union fees paid from the salary of teachers? Teachers can vote in their union representatives. Business donors pay their donations out of profits derived from selling product and services to the public. The general public pay for all donations in one way or another.

Time to look at a formula and system of spending limits and public financing for political parties set by an independent body? Time to stop the system of private individuals, corporate and union donors buying influence in exchange for donations?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 19-10-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Did you hear me saying that?

I absolutely agree that there are corrupt and crooked politicians in all political parties - at the end they are just a cross section of the general population with all its strengths and weaknesses - aren't they?

Using however the general level of human weaknesses in all systems to excuse the organised and fascistoid crookedness in the GoP and Trumps government is like excusing the unspeakable crimes and murders of the Russian (or Chinese, or Italian) Mafia with the existance of pickpockets in an Italian country fair.

Time to look for the moral compass and / or some calibration ...?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

So far I have not seen anything in the current saga that is not matched, or exceeded, in the large end of the private sector, in my experience. And that includes 'inappropriate behaviour' of various types and the language used behind closed doors. Doesn't stop the rumours and gossip though.

Private sector is better at keeping it under wraps, quietly exiting lemons. Unless a PG reaches the employment court. Politicians and senior public servants are always under scrutiny. Managing in a fish bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Graet picks for the business advisory council
    Heavy hitters on PM's council
    Jacinda said “The Council will report to me on opportunities it sees and identify emerging challenges. It will bring new ideas to the table on how we can scale up New Zealand businesses and grow our export led wealth.”

Those big hitters might be good at running their own businesses but heck they’ve collectively been at for years but in that time they havent been able to help build a “productive, sustainable and inclusive economy that improves the wellbeing of New Zealanders.” have they.

Maybe these big hitters are part of the problem .....and we look to them to create change.

Maybe Jacinda just buying time ...but seen to be doing something.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Q&A last night had (worrying) interview with Prof Brady re Chinese influence on our politics

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/q-and-a...ne-marie-brady

Answer to last question quite telling - seems quite brave in speaking out.
    Last edited by winner69; 22-10-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Q&A last night had (worrying) interview with Prof Brady re Chinese influence on our politics

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/q-and-a...ne-marie-brady

Answer to last question quite telling - seems quite brave in speaking out.
    I agree she does have courage.