sharetrader
Page 641 of 697 FirstFirst ... 141541591631637638639640641642643644645651691 ... LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,410 of 6963
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post

BTW I am voting for neither The greens nor Labour. However I have not seen or read anything that leads me to the conclusion that Ardern has it in for farmers or farming specifically

https://www.etymonline.com/word/several
    Bjauck have you spoken to any farmers recently or read comments from them on social media or chat groups ?
    I’m not sure many of them would share your view about this. Maybe not Ardern per se but many of them are feeling they are under constant attack from Labour and more so from the Greens.

The fishing industry would collapse if Green's fisheries and ocean policies were implemented. Simple. Completely nuts and impossible ideas to implement without shutting the industry down, which is probably what they want with farming and fishing like they did with oil & gas exploration.
    Last edited by iceman; 26-09-2020 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Revelations?
    definition - a surprising and previously unknown fact that has been disclosed to others.
    This is Winston!

Still no admission that you were wrong?
    Happy to let you dig yourself in deeper before I respond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islami...ersy_in_France

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u3E7QblKSA

Read, view and learn.
    Last edited by Balance; 26-09-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Bjauck have you spoken to any farmers recently or read comments from them on social media or chat groups ?
    I’m not sure many of them would share your view about this. Maybe not Ardern per se but many of them are feeling they are under constant attack from Labour and more so from the Greens.

The fishing industry would collapse if Green's fisheries and ocean policies were implemented. Simple. Completely nuts and impossible ideas to implement without shutting the industry down, which is probably what they want with farming and fishing like they did with oil & gas exploration.

There was an interesting interview with a farming economist on ZB last week, who said the PM has got this absolutely right & many of the farmers he personally knew agreed (and National a step backwards).
    While many farmers esp the younger bright ones (many with university degrees) are enthusiastically embracing new ways for farming with lots of technology, sustainability, water care etc, there are of course a group of generally older farmers who are resistant to change, however the main point was that all the research is showing that around the developed world there is a massive shift happening in what urban consumers want. i.e. consumers are increasingly far more environmentally conscious & want to know the products they are purchasing meet environmental/ethically produced standards or they won't buy them.

He gave some NZ examples of agriculture based companies which had gone to great lengths & some expense to meet stringent environmental regulations to gain some sort of standards award, which meant not only were their products gaining easy access to, & growth in what would normally be difficult highly competitive markets to break into, but also consumers would happily pay a premium for them.

This he felt & as the PM said is the future of farming.
    The 'old world' dirty farming practices way of doing things doesn't cut it anymore with consumers esp the younger environmentally aware ones.

So this is all about farming responding to changing consumer demand, & unfortunately there will always be a small vocal group who are resistant to change & slow to recognise we are moving into a 'new world', but increasingly NZ farmers esp the younger ones are responding positively, producing higher value products which meet the environmentally produced standards consumers are demanding & will pay a premium for.
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 26-09-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    There was an interesting interview with a farming economist on ZB last week, who said the PM has got this absolutely right & many of the farmers he personally knew agreed (and National a step backwards).
    While many farmers esp the younger bright ones (many with university degrees) are enthusiastically embracing new ways for farming with lots of technology, sustainability, water care etc, there are of course a group of generally older farmers who are resistant to change, however the main point was that all the research is showing that around the developed world there is a massive shift happening in what urban consumers want. i.e. consumers are increasingly far more environmentally conscious & want to know the products they are purchasing meet environmental/ethically produced standards or they won't buy them.

He gave some NZ examples of agriculture based companies which had gone to great lengths & some expense to meet stringent environmental regulations to gain some sort of standards award, which meant not only were their products gaining easy access to, & growth in what would normally be difficult highly competitive markets to break into, but also consumers would happily pay a premium for them.

This he felt & as the PM said is the future of farming.
    The 'old world' dirty farming practices way of doing things doesn't cut it anymore with consumers esp the younger environmentally aware ones.

So this is all about farming responding to changing consumer demand, & unfortunately there will always be a small vocal group who are resistant to change & slow to recognise we are moving into a 'new world', but increasingly NZ farmers esp the younger ones are responding positively, producing higher value products which meet the environmentally produced standards consumers are demanding & will pay a premium for.
    Who is the farming economist?

Always pays to disclose their political affiliation before praising or condemning their views.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post

Always pays to disclose their political affiliation before praising or condemning their views.
    Especially if s/he is one of the economists who predicted 7 of the last 2 recessions.

Advanced Member

He didn't seem to have any affiliation at all, he was almost a bit reticent to say Jacinda had this right & it wasn't political, but the points he raised about the huge shift in environmental/ethical consciousness driving consumer choices, resonated with my own observations of trends especially in the younger generation 18-44 demographic.
    It was something I hadn't really thought about, but I've observed my adult children & their friends being quite definite about choosing products which have been produced using sustainable environmentally friendly methods, and it got me thinking about how many companies are pushing that in their marketing, so obviously this is being born out there marketing research.

It's just a view, I don't think it was political at all.

Advanced Member

What a ridiculous comment Balance - i know you live in an echo chamber but really - i trust you only listen to those that share your own views further engraining the fact you think they and your own views are therefore right.

Farmers are pissed off because someone finally has the gumption to call them out for in many instances terrible farming practises to simply generate additional profit. When Crusher almost crying about farmers plight i just thought she has never shown so much concern for the poor urban dwellers - Must be worried farmers might vote act instead of national this election- i guess she sees the writing on the wall her job is to galvanise the JA haters and righties to limit the damage on election night to the mid 30s for national. She has limited appeal to swing/centre voters.

Looking forward to Mike Hoskings facials on election night again ....
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by boysy View Post
    What a ridiculous comment Balance - i know you live in an echo chamber but really - i trust you only listen to those that share your own views further engraining the fact you think they and your own views are therefore right.

Farmers are pissed off because someone finally has the gumption to call them out for in many instances terrible farming practises to simply generate additional profit. When Crusher almost crying about farmers plight i just thought she has never shown so much concern for the poor urban dwellers - Must be worried farmers might vote act instead of national this election- i guess she sees the writing on the wall her job is to galvanise the JA haters and righties to limit the damage on election night to the mid 30s for national. She has limited appeal to swing/centre voters.

For most farmers, making a big profit each year isn't the main aim, it's to churn any would-be profits back into the farm as assets where it can accumulate for the big tax-free payout at the end of the process. They'll buy stuff that saves time and effort, but sometimes they'll walk away from anything that would increase annual taxable profits and bottom-line productivity.

For FP, here are the betting odds on the election..

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting...rnment-4933767

Quote Originally Posted by boysy View Post

Do you actually know any real farmers?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    For most farmers, making a big profit each year isn't the main aim, it's to churn any would-be profits back into the farm as assets where it can accumulate for the big tax-free payout at the end of the process. They'll buy stuff that saves time and effort, but sometimes they'll walk away from anything that would increase annual taxable profits and bottom-line productivity.

For FP, here are the betting odds on the election..

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting...rnment-4933767
    Why should that interest me? I do not bet on such things, but have no doubt your lot will be returned along with the Kermits.