sharetrader
Page 692 of 697 FirstFirst ... 192592642682688689690691692693694695696 ... LastLast
Results 6,911 to 6,920 of 6963

Funny man

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Will do. I have just drawn up a new list of kitchen chores for "her indoors". I am expecting great meals today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    I know political hypocrisy is nothing new but the Greens agreement to disagree with the labour certainly raises the bar. We hold fast to our core values, indeed but we also would like to hold on to our ministerial salaries.!
    Very smart move in my opinion for both Labour and the Greens. You can get a lot more done to advance your policies if you are a Minister rather than being in opposition. It would be a shame to waste James Shaw’s knowledge and experience. Politics is about negotiation and compromise. Seems to me that labelling it hypocrisy is based on who the parties are not on actually doing a deal. Your bias is showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    And what is Cindy doing about the property market surging out of the reach of first home buyers and rents going up?

NOTHING - because she and her team of incompetents have not got a clue!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/pro...an-lvrs-to-fix

"Given the fundamentals supporting the property market, Patterson said it was not really a bubble. The challenge was the widening gap in wealth between the 60-odd per cent of people who are homeowners, and the rest.

“For those that are locked out of the housing market at present, it is problematic. We’ve seen rents have actually still gone up across the country, and those people don’t benefit from the lower interest expense.”
    Probably a few more people will start thinking like this person who made this comment about the above article:
    I’ve changed my mind, we need a capital gains tax. Urgently. It makes no sense that us income earners will pay high tax so the government can buy houses for those who can’t afford them while the so called investors, with many houses, who are largely causing the problem, don’t pay any tax on their profits.

Momentum starting to build in getting CGT back on the agenda.

Somebody has got to people like Dominic Steven's from Westpac whose back touting it - even though the Bank prob not on favour.

Even the PM seems to be changing her minds

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Probably a few more people will start thinking like this person who made this comment about the above article:
    I’ve changed my mind, we need a capital gains tax. Urgently. It makes no sense that us income earners will pay high tax so the government can buy houses for those who can’t afford them while the so called investors, with many houses, who are largely causing the problem, don’t pay any tax on their profits.
    An ill informed comment. Investors certainly pay tax on their profits.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Momentum starting to build in getting CGT back on the agenda.

Somebody has got to people like Dominic Steven's from Westpac whose back touting it - even though the Bank prob not on favour.

Even the PM seems to be changing her minds
    I wouldn't panic this guy may have a point.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world...?ocid=msedgntp

Yapping on about diversity and liberalism while doing nothing of any real substance is most likely.

I reckon labour won because they went one further than National. No capital gains tax, won't touch your nz super AND we will protect the oldies from co-vid (which National were a bit vague on)

I reckon a Jacinda govt will be very similar to a John Key govt very popular because they won't rock any boats.
    Last edited by Aaron; 20-11-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I wouldn't panic this guy may have a point.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world...?ocid=msedgntp

Yapping on about diversity and liberalism while doing nothing of any real substance is most likely.

I reckon labour won because they went one further than National. No capital gains tax, won't touch your nz super AND we will protect the oldies from co-vid (which National were a bit vague on)

I reckon a Jacinda govt will be very similar to a John Key govt very popular because they won't rock any boats.
    Labour and National are only distinguishable under a magnifying glass.

There will come a time - in ten or fifteen years perhaps at current rate - when a point of inflection will be reached. When 50% of voters will have been priced out of home ownership or even the prospect of it. When electoral self-interest will mean that a general CGT will have to be introduced to broaden the tax base. Perhaps one that includes the family home in some deferred way too. The Coronavirus response by the RBNZ may have hastened the onset of that point of inflection. If you include those who have been priced out of upsizing/upgrading their exisiting homes, 50% of voters may have been priced out of the current market already.

Twenty years of inaction has led to a 'toxic' NZ housing market

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opi...housing-market
    Last edited by Bjauck; 21-11-2020 at 06:45 AM.

Veteran novice

Contributory issues, but Labour won so convincingly because of the Jacinda/covid effect.

Guru

Switched post to the Labour Government 2020-23 thread.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 22-11-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Seriously, do you think Cindy can deliver on her many promises, especially of affordable homes for NZers?
    Well most of the voting public clearly did = get over it, you are in the minority