sharetrader
Page 177 of 697 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227277677 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 6963
    Dilettante

Here is another link and discussion about the NZIER survey. https://www.interest.co.nz/business/...ess-confidence
    This must be quite worrying for the trio that form this Coalition and obviously the "manufacturing crisis" enquiry they held a few years ago didn´t teach them much about that indistry and probably was just a media beatup like so many other things that comes from them !
    Particularly this bit :
    " Manufacturers now most pessimistic

Although the downbeat mood was broad-based across sectors, manufacturers have overtaken retailers as the most pessimistic sector. Weaker demand and rising costs have seen manufacturing sector confidence fall sharply.

Rising cost pressures also weighed on building sector confidence, with over half of firms in the sector reporting higher costs. Building sector firms reported some softening in demand in the September quarter, but architects’ measure of work in their office points to a pick-up in the pipeline of residential and commercial construction over the coming year."
    Last edited by iceman; 02-10-2018 at 08:18 PM.

IMO

People are waay overdue for wage rises, and its now finally starting to happen across the job sector.

And heres a multi pronged approach to increase worker shortage.

Govt ups ante on construction worker shortage

IMO

Great to see rare collaboration here, may there be more.
    National backs child poverty bill

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Great to see rare collaboration here, may there be more.
    National backs child poverty bill
    They need all the help they can get

IMO

Research and Development down to $50,000 min for tax breaks.

Gordon Campbell: On Bringing Business Into The 21st Century

"In itself, this move is probably not going to be enough to bring our business culture into the 21st century. It's going to be a long haul. For decades, NZ firms have allowed themselves to become dependent on the synthetic drug of low wage costs – in the knowledge that the income of the working poor will be supplemented by the welfare system, via the likes of Working For Families. The rest of the developed world meanwhile, has moved on."

Dilettante

Well done from the Government to come up with a high powered "construction sector action plan" to target skills and labour shortages in the industry. It is much needed in a sector that has completely failed to manage itself well as can be seen by Fletcher Building and Ebert Construction failures, along with many others.
    Also good to see several fairly junior ministers involved as I'm sure they will want to make a difference. A good start and a good idea. Now some results please.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Bridges is a real idiot .....and I’m trying to be nice about it
    That was a few months ago

Seems to be he’s improving his real idiot status quite well
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    That was a few months ago

Seems to be he’s improving his real idiot status quite well
    You cannot blame that on the Labour/NZ First Govt. Try National FFs. His report on the leak comes out soon Could be interesting.

westerly

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    You cannot blame that on the Labour/NZ First Govt. Try National FFs. His report on the leak comes out soon Could be interesting.

westerly
    Sorry, thought this was just the main politics thread. Never mind

This interesting article about PRC influence in this part of the world

Our current government (and previous ones) seem very influenced and supportive

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/02/62724...nese-influence
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

IMO

Great article and a concern i often think about. Many Chinese immigrant residents here are very patriotic to China ahead of NZ. They have been indoctrinated continuously since birth to always support the Chinese govt for the GREATER good and dont even think about it(esp their leaders growing power over all), its programmed. And with many years of growth and boom times for China who would argue with that.Except they live here now.
    They use WeChat here (and there)for connecting with each other gathering info and doing payments separately to anything the rest of us use. Cash is used for many purchases and payments. They cant use facebook, google etc in China,its blocked is my understanding.

They can download many programmes/ movie/music/DVD to watch for free that most of us have to pay/subscribe for.
    I have heard the Chinese govt pays for flights or accomodation back home where they share stuff about nz, i know not what, maybe build networks, connections ,alliances , cultivating bank managers etc? These can be"cultural" trips back home to update traditional dance etc, teach english whilst back there etc. I have no problems with diversifying NZ,s multicultural population ,its a recent new norm and healthy, sometimes i just am a little concerned about how much is contributed to our country and how much may be stealthily taken away. Just my opinion and observations.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 05-10-2018 at 10:39 AM.