sharetrader
Page 1 of 316 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 6317
  1. #1
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default Labour / NZ First Government

    So Winston has been able to bend Labour over further than National and has decided to support Labour as a coalition partner in the new government.
    New Cabinet is likely to be made up of 14 (or 16 - its a moving number) Labour Ministers and 4 NZ First Ministers.

    Labours targets for teh next 100 days are :

    * Make the first year of tertiary education or training fees free and increase student allowances and living cost loans by $50 a week from January 1, 2018
    * Pass the Healthy Homes Guarantee Bill
    * Ban overseas speculators from buying existing residential properties
    * Stop the sell-off of state houses
    * Legislate to pass the Families Package, including the Winter Fuel Payment, Best Start and increases to Paid Parental Leave, to take effect from 1 July 2018. The families package replaces National's April 1 tax cuts.
    * Introduce legislation to set a child poverty reduction target
    * Resume contributions to the New Zealand Superannuation Fund
    * Set up a ministerial inquiry on mental health
    * Hold a Clean Waterways Summit of all key stakeholders
    * Increase the minimum wage to $16.50/hour, to take effect April 1, 2018, and introduce legislation new industrial relations legislation

    So lets see what happens. o far we have already seen a fall in the NZD which if it lasts will see the cost of petrol go up which wil have an immediate negative impact on the poor. Just waiting to see how the share market reacts.

    And where are the greens. No where to be seen thats where. They have ended up in a supply and confidence agreement with 3 ministers outside cabinet. To be confirmed they seem to be Climate Change, Child Poverty and maybe waterways.

  2. #2
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    And heres the confidential concessions the Greens get. Opps they managed to leak that ahead of time. Not a good start!

    • Significant climate action with a shift to a net-zero carbon emissions economy by 2050 (specific focuses will be on transport, energy and primary industries).
    • The establishment of an independent climate commission.
    • Support for a shift in farming to more sustainable land use.
    • Overhaul of the welfare system, removing "excessive sanctions" and a review of Working for Families.
    • Increase to conservation budget.
    • New water quality measures.
    • Free counselling for under-25s and access to mental health services and support for everyone.
    • Special needs education access.
    • Progress to end gender pay gap in public service.
    • A reduction in number of students living in hardship.
    • Increase in funding for drug and alcohol addictions services and a referendum on the personal use of cannabis by the 2020 election.

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    And heres the confidential concessions the Greens get. Opps they managed to leak that ahead of time. Not a good start!

    • Significant climate action with a shift to a net-zero carbon emissions economy by 2050 (specific focuses will be on transport, energy and primary industries).
    • The establishment of an independent climate commission.
    • Support for a shift in farming to more sustainable land use.
    • Overhaul of the welfare system, removing "excessive sanctions" and a review of Working for Families.
    • Increase to conservation budget.
    • New water quality measures.
    • Free counselling for under-25s and access to mental health services and support for everyone.
    • Special needs education access.
    • Progress to end gender pay gap in public service.
    • A reduction in number of students living in hardship.
    • Increase in funding for drug and alcohol addictions services and a referendum on the personal use of cannabis by the 2020 election.
    I certainly hope they end gender pay gap in public services by reducing all male's salaries.

  4. #4
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I certainly hope they end gender pay gap in public services by reducing all male's salaries.
    I dont hold out much hope of the succeeding at any level. They cant even get the gender balance right on their own party list. They need to bin a few of the women and bring in a couple more men.

  5. #5
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Oh dear. This isn't starting too well. Looks like NZ First is set to scrap the ocean sanctuary around the Kermadecs. Good on ya Greens! (Though arguably Greens, National and ACT could still push the legislation through)

  6. #6
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Oh dear. This isn't starting too well. Looks like NZ First is set to scrap the ocean sanctuary around the Kermadecs. Good on ya Greens! (Though arguably Greens, National and ACT could still push the legislation through)
    Are you hinting that the three party marriage may not be totally harmonious? Hard to believe!

  7. #7
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Are you hinting that the three party marriage may not be totally harmonious? Hard to believe!
    What could go wrong? Especially since they haven't seen the nz first / labour coalition agreement yet.

  8. #8
    One Fearsome Feline winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    27,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Oh dear. This isn't starting too well. Looks like NZ First is set to scrap the ocean sanctuary around the Kermadecs. Good on ya Greens! (Though arguably Greens, National and ACT could still push the legislation through)
    Does that mean fishing can continue out that way

    Maybe some on NZF Board happy with that
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Does that mean fishing can continue out that way

    Maybe some on NZF Board happy with that
    Yes and yes.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Can NZF withdraw/cancel the coalition agreement at some stage, or are they bound to uphold it until the next election?

  11. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonboyz View Post
    Can NZF withdraw/cancel the coalition agreement at some stage, or are they bound to uphold it until the next election?
    Anything can happen.

  12. #12
    One Fearsome Feline winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    27,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Yes and yes.
    Re kermadec fishing

    If neo-liberalism is loosely defined as just a bunch of people doing things in their own self interest .....then neo-liberalism hasn’t been finally put to rest by this new government
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

  13. #13
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Re kermadec fishing

    If neo-liberalism is loosely defined as just a bunch of people doing things in their own self interest .....then neo-liberalism hasn’t been finally put to rest by this new government
    Surely you're not suggesting Winston First would be acting in his own interest!

  14. #14
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Climsae change was such a priority under National that the deputy prime minister held that portfolio. I wonder if winston will get it ?

  15. #15
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Climsae change was such a priority under National that the deputy prime minister held that portfolio. I wonder if winston will get it ?
    Imagine the reaction from the Kermits if they don't get that one

  16. #16
    Dilettante
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down & out
    Posts
    3,561

    Default

    It is quite incredible that Jacinda has agreed with NZF on this big issue for the Greens, without telling them. Gareth Hughes has put a lot of work into this and pushed it hard. He was also passed over for a "Ministerial" portfolio. I'm sure he's not a happy chap right now, before this motley crew even takes office !!

    I did note with interest before the election that Talley's were one of the largest corporate donors to NZF but I'm sure that has nothing to do with this announcement !!!!! To be fair, they always donate some money to most of the bigger parties. And surely this new Leftie Government does not start by scrapping our largest Ocean Sanctuary as a price for political donations. Imagine if this had been National, eh EZ et al ?

    But it looks like Jacinda was more into saying "Yes Sir" to Winston's demands than negotiating with him. Inexperience on her behalf ?
    Last edited by iceman; 22-10-2017 at 06:25 PM.

  17. #17
    One Fearsome Feline winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    27,364
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

  18. #18
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Imagine the reaction from the Kermits if they don't get that one
    greens get jobs outside of cabinet - that is the unimportant " throw them a bone " portfolios

  19. #19
    Membaa
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    3,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    greens get jobs outside of cabinet - that is the unimportant " throw them a bone " portfolios
    That's only until the Greens realise that they are as impotent in ministerial posts out of cabinet as they have been out of government for decades, and still have no mojo to make stuff-all difference either way.

    It's a sad outcome for the Greens, being the lapdog of Labour and on the outside with NZ First. The first important decision that comes up in Cabinet, the Greens will be in the unenviable position of towing the line as a confidence and supply 'partner', despite their misgivings, or playing hard ball and risk be ostracised to political obscurity.

    I predict it will happen fairly quickly, or maybe it's already happening with the Kermandecs.

    The Greens are doomed, and so with it the unholy coalition with Labour and NZ First, in terms of pushing through legislation. Any sign of consensus will in fact be a simmering pile of festering sores that will in time rend the unlikely coalition, let alone the notion of 'partners'.

  20. #20
    One Fearsome Feline winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    27,364

    Default

    Been really good weather since Jacinda took over ....jeez the garden needs some water
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •