sharetrader
Page 247 of 252 FirstFirst ... 147197237243244245246247248249250251 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,940 of 5025
  1. #4921
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Quite correct Fungus Pudding, pretty sure you are not a grammar Nazi, just Alt Write.
    Excellent. Ten out of ten for that.

  2. #4922
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    You are being disingenuous. It is not capital gains Jonu is talking about. It is the green's proposed wealth tax. Ie you have a boat a house a batch and a couple of cars with some art thrown in worth $2m. Most of these assets are not income generating. Regardless you get taxed on an extra $10,000 (1% on the extra $1m over the $1m). Repeat ad infinitum.
    Worse than that - on the third and subsequent millions the tax would be $20,000 per million - every year. It's ridiculous and unworkable. Capital gains, if well designed, is hard to argue with. Unfortunately the minute taxing the principal residence is included (essential in a fair and sensible CGT) it gets screamed down.

  3. #4923
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    12,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Worse than that - on the third and subsequent millions the tax would be $20,000 per million - every year. It's ridiculous and unworkable. Capital gains, if well designed, is hard to argue with. Unfortunately the minute taxing the principal residence is included (essential in a fair and sensible CGT) it gets screamed down.
    Greens simply playing the odds to garner more leftist votes, mindful that they are and have been bleeding support to Labour.

  4. #4924
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Wellington, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Worse than that - on the third and subsequent millions the tax would be $20,000 per million - every year. It's ridiculous and unworkable. Capital gains, if well designed, is hard to argue with. Unfortunately the minute taxing the principal residence is included (essential in a fair and sensible CGT) it gets screamed down.
    Yes it does get screamed down and is generally seen as electoral suicide.

    But when has anyone seen any actual rationale for not including the main home? Apart from TOP in 2017.

  5. #4925
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Yes it does get screamed down and is generally seen as electoral suicide.

    But when has anyone seen any actual rationale for not including the main home? Apart from TOP in 2017.
    There isn't any other than the political suicide factor. Hypocrisy at work - 'it's a fair tax as long as it's not me who pays it'.

  6. #4926
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,667

    Default

    No tax increases Cindy's last (for now) installment of tax increases on fuel comes into effect tomorrow. This is alongside the extra tax that lucky Aucklanders get to pay for things like Light Rail...oh wait.

    The good news is...Cindy has ruled out anymore of the tax hikes that she had already ruled out before this one.

    Hmmm...anyone noticing a pattern here?

  7. #4927
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,667

    Default

    Is there no end to the cynical propaganda from the PM? Now that Ashley has been packed off down the road she is back to her daily briefings. Oh, but she's not electioneering....oh no siree!

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300...-campaign-mode

    trouble is...Cindy doesn't comprehend the concept of Overexposure. The fairy dust is wearing thin amongst those that escaped unbesotted. Including the media. I'm picking it'll backfire

  8. #4928
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    12,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Is there no end to the cynical propaganda from the PM? Now that Ashley has been packed off down the road she is back to her daily briefings. Oh, but she's not electioneering....oh no siree!

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300...-campaign-mode

    trouble is...Cindy doesn't comprehend the concept of Overexposure. The fairy dust is wearing thin amongst those that escaped unbesotted. Including the media. I'm picking it'll backfire
    We all know she will only appear when there’s good news (like zero case yesterday) and when she is going to spend more of taxpayers’ monies to breed more welfare beneficiaries & Labour voters.

  9. #4929
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    12,915

    Default

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12344399

    And guess who is the Minister in charge of America Cup’s spending?

    You got it - none other than Mr Incompetent, Phil Twyford, Comrade 🐒 Cindy’s #1 choice for promotions & cock-ups. 🤣

  10. #4930
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12344399

    And guess who is the Minister in charge of America Cup’s spending?

    You got it - none other than Mr Incompetent, Phil Twyford, Comrade �� Cindy’s #1 choice for promotions & cock-ups. ��
    You're suggesting that this is Labours fault?
    Your hatred of Labour knows no bounds.

  11. #4931
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    12,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    You're suggesting that this is Labours fault?
    Your hatred of Labour knows no bounds.
    Coincidence you think that everything he touches turns to crap?

    Kiwibuild, light rail and now if NZ is not careful, America’s Cup. Hell of a track record but Comrade Cindy 🐒 must love screw ups as he gets promoted for them!
    Last edited by Balance; 01-07-2020 at 09:17 AM.

  12. #4932
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by un-Balance View Post
    Coincidence you think that everything he touches turns to crap?

    Kiwibuild, light rail and now if NZ is not careful, America’s Cup. Hell of a track record but Comrade Cindy 🐒 must love screw ups as he gets promoted for them!
    As yet we don't know what is actually happening but I really don't see how Labour caused it.
    You are beyond the pale - get a grip man.

  13. #4933
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    12,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    As yet we don't know what is actually happening but I really don't see how Labour caused it.
    You are beyond the pale - get a grip man.
    And of course you would have us believe that Kiwibuild is not a screw up by Labour?

  14. #4934
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Gareth Morgan and Susan Guthrie's book The Big Kahuna details a very workable alternative tax system to include the Family home and other business assets. I guess any attempt to tax any traditional asset will always be viewed as political suicide. They are the only ones who propose something different to our patched up exploited current system.
    A quote attributed to Margaret Thatcher goes along the lines of
    "The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money."

  15. #4935
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    And of course you would have us believe that Kiwibuild is not a screw up by Labour?
    Of course you'd like to thing that is a Labour screwup.
    Please explain how they did it.

  16. #4936
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    12,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Of course you'd like to thing that is a Labour screwup.
    Please explain how they did it.
    And therein lies the answer to why Comrade Cindy loves screw-ups and why the master of cock-ups Phil Twyford gets promoted.

    Kiwibuild
    Transmission Gully
    Light Rail
    Last edited by Balance; 01-07-2020 at 10:19 AM.

  17. #4937
    rainy day member black knat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Greens simply playing the odds to garner more leftist votes, mindful that they are and have been bleeding support to Labour.
    I've worked out that if the greens policy came into effect I would be paying the equivalent of 75% tax on my on my combined work work and investment income. Would have to sell up and move to Aust.

  18. #4938
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    12,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by black knat View Post
    I've worked out that if the greens policy came into effect I would be paying the equivalent of 75% tax on my on my combined work work and investment income. Would have to sell up and move to Aust.
    Not a chance as Labour has already called unrealistic.

    But I guess if Greens hold the balance of power and ruthlessly exercise it, they may yet get their wish!

  19. #4939
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    And therein lies the answer to why Comrade Cindy loves screw-ups and why the master of cock-ups Phil Twyford gets promoted.
    No answer then - thought so.
    Just ranting then.

  20. #4940
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    No answer then - thought so.
    Just ranting then.
    C'mon dobs...give me a defence for the promotion of Phil Twyford. I put that challenge out there weeks ago, and not one coherent response yet. Do you accept he is out of his depth as a Minister? If not, show me the reasoning.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •