sharetrader
Page 134 of 697 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184234634 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 6963
    IMO

I did, quite a reaction, weird. Swearing , generalisations, laziness,negativity.I think its great myself, motivational confidence building, self esteem enhancing, helps some people from a negative idle, depressed space to a productive, self generating confident member of the workforce.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    I did, quite a reaction, weird. Swearing , generalisations, laziness,negativity.I think its great myself, motivational confidence building, self esteem enhancing, helps some people from a negative idle, depressed space to a productive, self generating confident member of the workforce.
    If we could harness the virtue generated by this government we wouldn't need our hydro scheme.

[QUOTE=minimoke;724080]Oh FFS why is she wearing a Hih viz jacket.

Perhaps because -
    "The announcement took place at Downer Yard in Porirua, the civil works and engineering company's Wellington "super-site"

On a different note, the Labour Govts proposed changes to Local Govt. removing changes introduced by National are a backward step in my opinion.
    I am convinced that the continual increases in Council rates and fees way above inflation is a major reason for price rises in general.
    Restoring Local Govt. to their previous position is a mistake.

westerly

[QUOTE=westerly;724160]
    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Oh FFS why is she wearing a Hih viz jacket.

Perhaps because -
    "The announcement took place at Downer Yard in Porirua, the civil works and engineering company's Wellington "super-site"
    So's there a super chance of being whacked by a truck or forklift?

IMO

Our resident relentless negative poster, glass empty, huge chip on the shoulder of life. Is that your default position, i hope not mm, no way to live a life.

I think its a fantastic offering for young people who have lost their way and for business too, a win /win hopefully.

Young people get dole for work in new apprentice scheme
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 09-08-2018 at 09:01 PM.

My plan would be
    - no dole for any one aged 18 - 24. (Nothing like a hungry tummy to motivate into work)
    - no dole for any one
    Instead you have a deduction from your pay as insurance in the event of loss of work.
    - if a subsidy is to be payable it is available for all youth - not just those who have proven themselves incapable of securing work
    - retain trial period. To ensure lazy bones can get out of bed consistently for 90 work days

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    My plan would be
    - no dole for any one aged 18 - 24. (Nothing like a hungry tummy to motivate into work)
    - no dole for any one
    Instead you have a deduction from your pay as insurance in the event of loss of work.
    Already exists, It's called income tax, and currently it's dumped in the consolidated fund.

Advanced Member

I have a bit of knowledge in this area as we have an apprentice in the family plus a small tradie business.

A lot of things are unclear to me about the proposal, may become clearer over time.

Is a foundation course required? It does give them a good start. (One day our boy came home buzzing as he had his first go at trenching with a digger!) There is book work required, as well as practical skills. So that needs functional numeracy and literacy, and not all those 70,000 NEETs have these.

The apprentice did the foundation course for his trades. Over 20 started, 4 finished. Week 2 the first ones dropped out. Most were made to be there by WINZ.

The cost is unclear, with the latest number being $3k to $6k per placement, much much less than the previous numbers. Sounds like the new number is the pastoral care component only, I suppose because the dole cost might have been paid. Though surely some of these kids would find work anyway. Planting trees perhaps.

The scheme will work for some. There will be dropouts. Employers might buy in but won't stay in if the first placement doesn't work. There's a lot of effort goes into an apprentice in the first couple of years.

Guru

Let's do this

New Zealand Herald
    nzherald.co.nz

NZ Herald
    10 Aug, 2018 2:19pm

BUSINESS
    Matthew Hooton: Worsening crisis of confidence
    10 Aug, 2018 2:00pm
    4 minutes to read

Did Grant Robertson and Jacinda Ardern and the rest of the Labour crew do any policy work during nine years in opposition? Photo / Brett Phibbs
    By: Matthew Hooton

matthew.hooton@exceltium.com

COMMENT:
    The current business confidence crisis is set to become an investment crisis and full-scale economic downturn.
    Already Treasury has cut its growth forecasts while Statistics NZ reports unemployment is up. Inevitably, welfare spending will rise above budget, forecast tax-takes will fall and the Government's projected debt-to-GDP ratio will increase.
    The coalition's budget rules mean its fiscal response can only be pro-cyclical, cutting planned spending to keep within its debt-to-GDP cap.

The outlook risks being catastrophic not just to the thousands who will lose their jobs but also to the Government's re-election hopes.
    Jacinda Ardern and Grant Robertson have spent the week denying there is a crisis while also insisting it's everyone else's fault.
    They are right that business confidence has slipped globally because of Brexit and Donald Trump's trade war, but that does not explain why things are so much worse in New Zealand.
    Business confidence is plunging, not just in absolute terms, but also relative to the rest of the world.
    Two years ago, New Zealand businesspeople were the second-most confident in the developed world.
    Now they are the second-least confident, with pessimism as bad as during the Global Financial Crisis.

True to form, the Beehive's response has included smearing those who collect the data and participate in the surveys. Trade Minister David Parker has led that charge, saying the studies are "junk", a "survey of the emotions" and "the vibe of a self-selected subset of CEOs".
    Labour's media surrogates have loyally argued it's all just a tantrum about the colour of the new Government. But the Government is not "new".
    It was elected nearly a year ago and business confidence did not sink to its current depths immediately.
    The real problem is that Ardern, Robertson and the rest of the Labour crew were either incapable, too lazy or too distracted to do any policy work during nine years in opposition.
    The Government's 100-odd working groups are designed to fill that gap, but their combined effect is to leave every area of policy open to radical change but with no real indication of the nature of that change or when it might happen.
    We have no idea what taxes might be dreamed up by the Tax Working Group, let alone which will be implemented or at what rate.
    The proposed independent Climate Change Commission means Parker and Nick Smith's Emissions Trading Scheme might be replaced with something better or worse.
    It's unclear if the Government will streamline the Resource Management Act processes or expand the Auckland urban boundary.
    On water, some sort of tradeable rights scheme seems inevitable, with Māori taking some percentage as with the fishing quota. But the Government is unable to indicate when it will happen, how it will operate or what it might cost.
    Consequently, farmers and growers don't know if their access to water will be restricted or a charge introduced. Potential new entrants, including iwi, don't know if they might get better or cheaper access. Neither can invest until the policy is resolved.
    Similarly, no one knows what Jim Bolger's Fair Pay Agreements working group will conclude, with fears it will be the biggest reversal in industrial relations since Bolger himself abolished compulsory unionism in 1983.
    Future immigration policy is unclear, despite its reduction being Winston Peter's central political message for a quarter century. Almost every other important area of policy, including health and education, is equally up for grabs.
    Meanwhile, businesspeople are right to worry Shane Jones might suddenly turn up at your competitor's operation with a big cheque from his $3 billion Provincial Growth Fund.
    After the oil and gas decision, there is no certainty internal coalition politics won't mean your entire industry won't suddenly be declared unwelcome.
    Alongside its diversions and smears, the Government tried this week to launch a charm offensive, with Ardern and Parker's "Trade for All" initiative and Robertson's people pointing media to a speech he gave at SkyCity.
    The former is an Ardern special. A year-along "conversation" about what trade means to you, complete with yet another "advisory board".
    Robertson's speech was the usual precis of historic economic data combined with vague references to an Economic Plan, written in the style of a high school debating runner-up.
    The Beehive PR machine needs to remember it's communicating with investors and business leaders, not infants.
    In fact, Robertson knows full well there is no plan. How could there be when absolutely any policy that counts, including even whether trade is a good thing, is to be left undetermined not just for weeks or months but, in some cases, for years?
    - Matthew Hooton is managing director of PR and corporate affairs firm Exceltium.
    Last edited by jonu; 10-08-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Another govt Feel Good waste of time. Banning single use plasic bags. Lets put aside for a moment lots of these are actually multi- use and get used as bin liners.

In a foreshore survey in Canada worst plastic pollutant was Cigarete filters, followed by food containers, then bottle caps, bottles, cans, straws, other plastic bags, metal bottle caps plastic and foam packaging. And languishing in 10th spot was plastic grocery bags. In a Pacific Ocean survey 46% of plasticss were fishing nets. If you add ropes and lines you get 52%

The better question for govt is "how can we recycle / reuse". But thats too hard when you dont have a policy group doing your thinking.