sharetrader
Page 675 of 697 FirstFirst ... 175575625665671672673674675676677678679685 ... LastLast
Results 6,741 to 6,750 of 6963

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    People are concerned about child poverty but if addressing it affects them personally by paying more taxes or house prices falling their support wanes, because of nimbyism.
    I'm not sure whether it's nimbyism, but the innate selfishness in humans.

We see similar behaviour when it comes to 'supporting local'. Consumers indicate their preference to support local, however if they can obtain the same product cheaper (typically from an overseas retailer that does not need to cover CGA costs etc.) then that's what they'll do, in many cases from experience not before loudly chastising you in front of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    House prices rising out of control and out of reach - https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/h...-rising-prices
    If Labour promise to rein in house prices this term, they're on a hiding to nowhere. Given the current set of circumstances, I can't see any effective way of leveling off prices within the next 3 years.

I’d rather live next to a complex full of low income single men, than a luxury apartment block full of snobby, judgmental pricks.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Buyers should buy carefully as they will not want to be living next to a high density complex designed for more than a few low income single men.

People are concerned about child poverty but if addressing it affects them personally by paying more taxes or house prices falling their support wanes, because of nimbyism.
    Your response to my comment above.
    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    The mind boggles at the staggering amount of research and the massive number of surveys you have obviously undertaken to provide such information. Some sceptical readers will no doubt think you are just making a wild claim. Shame on them.
    Here is some evidence that people who would no doubt be concerned about child poverty, and yet they are opposing social housing in their leafy suburb. A lack of low cost housing is one of the contributors to child poverty. This was in today’s news and it is not unusual for residents to oppose social housing initiatives in their suburbs.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/123...ng-development
    Residents in leafy Christchurch suburb called 'classist' for opposing social housing development

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble justakiwi, but Ardern is as cynical as they come....just a little better at masking it. Pragmatic as well perhaps.

Examples?.....

The cynical manipulation of the virus situation, ramping up the fear etc

I could go on....but you get the picture
    No, I don’t get the picture - that Ardern is cynical as they come.
    You are the cynical one and it shows in how you interpret her actions as in the comment below.
    The cynical manipulation of the virus situation, ramping up the fear etc

Most of us saw her acting out of genuine concern to a real threat. I couldn’t see any cynicism in the other examples you gave.

And I ❤️ It!

BONANZA time - all that lovely wasteful spending! Just make sure you get more than your share as I have and will do in the next 3 years.

Think of the wage subsidy - the multinationals are still laughing their heads off with the hundreds of millions of dollars they took off this government & NZers. 藍藍藍
    Balance is talking about predatory capitalism and he loves it. He is encouraging others to join in and get more than your share. Exploiting others including the taxpayer is something to be proud of. If you can rip someone off you'd be a fool not to do it, is the attitude. Honesty, integrity, ethics is sadly lacking in the business world today. Greed is good. Money is power.

http://regnet.anu.edu.au/news-events...d-institutions
    Predatory capitalism refers to cultural acceptance of domination and exploitation as normal economic practice. Examples include not only corporate and financial fraud and political corruption that goes unchallenged, but also the undermining of trade unions, the suppression of wages, the promulgation of economic slavery, and wealth creation through imposing debt on vulnerable entities.
    Less well scrutinized is how predatory capitalism has disrupted non-economic institutions, particularly cultural, social and democratic institutions.

Advanced Member

Balance is talking about predatory capitalism and he loves it. He is encouraging others to join in and get more than your share. Exploiting others including the taxpayer is something to be proud of. If you can rip someone off you'd be a fool not to do it, is the attitude. Honesty, integrity, ethics is sadly lacking in the business world today. Greed is good. Money is power. .....
    There are rules, set by those actually in power. If people and organisations stay within those rules how is that predatory? Individuals and business owners have always, and will always, look out for their households and stakeholders. If they stray outside the rules there are consequences.

Households and business owners might be well off or they might not. But to suggest they should not act within the rules and in their own interests because that is lacking honesty, integrity and ethics? Really?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    One prediction, I believe is quite possible, is that Jacinda Ardern will not serve out the next three years as Leader of the Labour Party and Prime Minister. I believe that she will stand down toward the end of 2022
    You are simply speculating.

Advanced Member

Chill, justakiwi!

Why would I fume over Labour's win or National's big loss?

Governments come and go - along the way they formulate & implement some pretty dumb policies which are there to be taken advantage of.

In the case of Cindy's incompetent government, there is already and will continue to be a legacy of building up humongous debts from the wasteful spending for future generations to carry and be burdened with.

The only way you can counter it is to make sure you get more than your share and provide for your own future generation. And one can choose to donate to worthy causes of one's choice - no point getting worked up over the government's wasteful ineffective spending.

Fair enough?
    Your comments over a long period of time suggest you are a very sore loser who is still fuming and nothing will change any time soon. My prediction - you will continue to embarrass yourself.

Legend

Balance is talking about predatory capitalism and he loves it. He is encouraging others to join in and get more than your share. Exploiting others including the taxpayer is something to be proud of. If you can rip someone off you'd be a fool not to do it, is the attitude. Honesty, integrity, ethics is sadly lacking in the business world today. Greed is good. Money is power.
    You have a sad attitude. There is no need to envy success. It should inspire you, but appears to make you envious. I've been hovering around the business world for decades and have rarely encountered this lack of honesty, ethics and integrity that you speak of. On the contrary, I have found those who have attained success, either through self employment, or have climbed high on someone else's ladder to generally be helpful with a joyful spirit. Of course there are exceptions, but they're not common in my experience. You reek of the green eyed monster.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 25-10-2020 at 06:20 AM.