sharetrader
Page 3 of 188 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 2808
  1. #31
    Veteran novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Gotta love Winston. He's going to get one bilion trees planted. I presume he knows Forestry is one of NZ's most dangerous industries. And who is he going to get toe plant the trees. Well it aint going to be immigrants - so that only leaves the unemployed. Ahh - now I see how the coalition is going to reduce the numbers of unemployed!
    Well, it worked in the 1930's and set the scene for the extensive radiata pine plantations that have been the resource for NZ's timber/paper industry. There's been a lot of worse ideas!

  2. #32
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Well, it worked in the 1930's and set the scene for the extensive radiata pine plantations that have been the resource for NZ's timber/paper industry. There's been a lot of worse ideas!
    Excellent. Today I've established we are going back to 1950's house building, 1930's forestry planting and 1970's industrial award setting. Nothing like taking three steps back to go one step forward.

  3. #33
    Antiquated & irrational t.rexjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Under the sycamore tree
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Today I've established we are going back to 1950's house building
    New builds will be for our international citizens. Kiwi's will have to settle for the used housing stock...

  4. #34
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    24,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Gotta love Winston. He's going to get one bilion trees planted. I presume he knows Forestry is one of NZ's most dangerous industries. And who is he going to get toe plant the trees. Well it aint going to be immigrants - so that only leaves the unemployed. Ahh - now I see how the coalition is going to reduce the numbers of unemployed!
    No mini - efficiencies and productivity and all that - ROBOTS will plant the billions of trees.

    Look out - might need your front lawn if they run out of space.
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

    –Benjamin Graham”

  5. #35
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Giving credit where it is due. Labour have agreed to increase Teina Poras compo payment. Let that be a lesson to the police and prosecution who waste our money with dodgy investigations, woeful prosecutions and compo to compensate.

  6. #36
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    7,881

    Default

    Watched the swearing in ceremony on CNBC live this morning. Gives me great optimism and pride in this govt despite Winstons presence. I think this will be his best performance actually, he will have learnt from past stuffups and really will want to go out leaving his country in a better place ,a part of his legacy.
    Jacinda looks to be a great leader , having her priorities in the right place with people coming first.

    The reality atm is we have a divided country with lots of disgruntled, bitter national supporters who are being encouraged by their party to continue in this vein in a divide and conquer at any cost strategy . Well i hope that more folks are into supporting and collaborating with this govt who are doing the same and leading by example. Early days i know but I'm optimistic that we have the makings of a great era where values will enhance our lives over a heartless business agenda run by the previous govt. Collaboraters or Haters, think about whats better for all.

  7. #37
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    chch, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    No mini - efficiencies and productivity and all that - ROBOTS will plant the billions of trees.

    Look out - might need your front lawn if they run out of space.
    Billion trees is nothing. India planted 66 Million in Twelve hours !! World gone planting crazy

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/india-plant-66-million-trees-12-hours-environment-campaign-madhya-pradesh-global-warming-climate-a7820416.html

  8. #38
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Just the kind of headline environmentalists love. Because it distracts from the real issue which is population growth.

    66 million trees - humbug! There will be another 15,000,000 indians contributing carbon to the atmosphere in the next 12 months. And by 2024 they are expected to equal china's population before maxing out with 1,700,000,000 indians by 2060. (up from today's 1,339m)

    Our billion trees (its actually only half this as we are already planning on planting .5b) will do absolutely diddly squat for climate change. The only thing it is likely to achieve is shift the environmental feel good vote from the Greens to NZ First.

  9. #39
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Gotta love Winston. He's going to get one bilion trees planted. I presume he knows Forestry is one of NZ's most dangerous industries. And who is he going to get toe plant the trees. Well it aint going to be immigrants - so that only leaves the unemployed. Ahh - now I see how the coalition is going to reduce the numbers of unemployed!
    Whoa - stop this bus. we need to get off. A new report out today by the Royal Society says climate change will see boosts in pollen counts and this will worsen hayfever symptoms and children's stress will increase to those levels when living under threat of nuclear calamity. Some plants were expected to release eight-times more pollen by 2100, compared to in 2000. The last thing we need to be doing is planting more pollen generating trees! (and thats putting aside the environmental destruction caused by wildlings)

  10. #40
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Oh dear. This is a worry. Jacinda is telling students next year is on her (https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...xt-years-on-me)

    Actually its not. Its on you and me as we are the ones paying the taxes that will fund this. I hope Jacinda always has front of mind is that every dollar she spends used to belong to someone else. Its not hers

  11. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Gotta love Winston. He's going to get one bilion trees planted. I presume he knows Forestry is one of NZ's most dangerous industries. And who is he going to get toe plant the trees. Well it aint going to be immigrants - so that only leaves the unemployed. Ahh - now I see how the coalition is going to reduce the numbers of unemployed!
    Yep,makes sense
    & more pollution in waterways
    The effects of pine pollen on the quality of fresh water in the Northern Hemisphere is the subject of a report called ‘Effects of pollen leaching and microbial degradation on organic carbon and nutrient availability in lake water’ by scientists Stefan Rosel, Anna RychÅ‚a, Christian Wurzbacher and Hans-Peter Grossart.

    Their report says: “The role of pollen for biogeochemical cycling in aquatic systems seems to be greatly underrated”.

    The report goes on to say: “The potentially large amount of organic carbon and nutrients introduced by pollen can fertilise freshwater ecosystems”.

  12. #42
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    , , napier. n.z..
    Posts
    1,659

    Default

    I live in the middle of a pine forest. for a week or two we are covered in clouds of pollen. Everything turns yellow. Then the thick layer of pollen washes off the roofs and down into the water tank and we drink it. Now I know why I am getting fat/er - all that "organic carbon and nutrients. And I thought it was just too much smooth Tennessee whisky?

  13. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    South Canterbury
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Watched the swearing in ceremony on CNBC live this morning. Gives me great optimism and pride in this govt despite Winstons presence. I think this will be his best performance actually, he will have learnt from past stuffups and really will want to go out leaving his country in a better place ,a part of his legacy.
    Jacinda looks to be a great leader , having her priorities in the right place with people coming first.

    The reality atm is we have a divided country with lots of disgruntled, bitter national supporters who are being encouraged by their party to continue in this vein in a divide and conquer at any cost strategy . Well i hope that more folks are into supporting and collaborating with this govt who are doing the same and leading by example. Early days i know but I'm optimistic that we have the makings of a great era where values will enhance our lives over a heartless business agenda run by the previous govt. Collaboraters or Haters, think about whats better for all.
    I agree. Let them get on with the job and give them a chance to prove their worth. Jacinda is a hell of a lot smarter than people seem to think. She’s not stupid and she’s no pushover. I think the Jacinda/Winston combination has the potential to work extremely well.

  14. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Mid of Middle_earth
    Posts
    776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    ........................ I think the Jacinda/Winston combination has the potential to work extremely well.
    Or not. But we'll give this tandem, one that is bias for everything that is foreign and most especially for chinese and one that is inexperienced, a chance. And hoping that gut feel is wrong again this time for this is going to be a very expensive "getting to know them" for NZ.

  15. #45
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    24,206

    Default

    The girls getting paid as much as the boys for playing rugby for NZ will be an interesting debate.
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

    –Benjamin Graham”

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •