sharetrader
Page 127 of 697 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137177227627 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 6963
    Advanced Member

Ever noticed? Traffic here dies on Fridays. Nothing to do with politics or brain functioning. I suspect that hordes of guilty posters decide to catch up on the work they have been ignoring all week - except for Aucklanders. They have their heads buried in maps, trying to figure out how they are going to get home tonight.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Ever noticed? Traffic here dies on Fridays. Nothing to do with politics or brain functioning. I suspect that hordes of guilty posters decide to catch up on the work they have been ignoring all week - except for Aucklanders. They have their heads buried in maps, trying to figure out how they are going to get home tonight.
    Craic, all is not lost. Even the National Party couldn't help but be impressed with increased rail traffic in Auckland, as this article shows.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/auckland/31...ry-short-time/

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by greater fool View Post
    Lost! You've lost your marbles. The story is dated 31 August 2017.
    The picture of the train comes from an era when the Clark/Cullen gummint was
    trashing the country before being tossed out, and Clark had to flee the country.

If this is the best good news story for present gummint, then the winter of discontent
    will deepen.
    I think you're trying to rewrite history GF, that's not what happened.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I think you're trying to rewrite history GF, that's not what happened.
    I thought he/she got it exactly right.

It would be great though if all those who used the trains paid their fare.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by greater fool View Post
    Lost! You've lost your marbles. The story is dated 31 August 2017.
    The picture of the train comes from an era when the Clark/Cullen gummint was
    trashing the country before being tossed out, and Clark had to flee the country.

If this is the best good news story for present gummint, then the winter of discontent
    will deepen.
    In answer to your post, I knew the article was an old one, but it was the first to pop up when I went looking for data on vastly increased rail passenger trips in Auckland. Kickstarted while Labour were in last time, likely to get a new big boost soon.

Did the Clark/Cullen govt trash the country? Very low unemployment, they had a dream run economically and used it to pay off almost all old Crown debt. All the while the Nats were screaming for tax refunds in the house. After the GFC hit and the voting public predictably looked for change, the Nats used up that Crown credit plus a lot more, pushing a serious taxable debt and interest costs onto the next generation of earners. They also progressively sacked a lot of crown and SOE staff, which encouraged the private sector to do the same. The Nats also stopped paying into the Cullen Fund, at precisely the time when they should have done the opposite, forgoing billions in profit for taxpayers. All this data is on the public record.

Helen Clark didn't flee the country, she applied for a very high office in the UN, and got the job. She is/was one of the world's most powerful women.

So what if there are a few strikes now and then - these are legitimate calls for a catch-up in pay rates, and any seriously useful business can afford to pay staff above the cost of living. The vast majority of changes this government has made, are in the right direction as far as I am concerned.

Legend

In answer to your post, I knew the article was an old one, but it was the first to pop up when I went looking for data on vastly increased rail passenger trips in Auckland. Kickstarted while Labour were in last time, likely to get a new big boost soon.

Did the Clark/Cullen govt trash the country? Very low unemployment, they had a dream run economically and used it to pay off almost all old Crown debt. All the while the Nats were screaming for tax refunds in the house. After the GFC hit and the voting public predictably looked for change, the Nats used up that Crown credit plus a lot more, pushing a serious taxable debt and interest costs onto the next generation of earners. They also progressively sacked a lot of crown and SOE staff, which encouraged the private sector to do the same. The Nats also stopped paying into the Cullen Fund, at precisely the time when they should have done the opposite, forgoing billions in profit for taxpayers. All this data is on the public record.

Helen Clark didn't flee the country, she applied for a very high office in the UN, and got the job. She is/was one of the world's most powerful women.

So what if there are a few strikes now and then - these are legitimate calls for a catch-up in pay rates, and any seriously useful business can afford to pay staff above the cost of living. The vast majority of changes this government has made, are in the right direction as far as I am concerned.
    You're definitely not without a sense of humour eZ.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    You're definitely not without a sense of humour eZ.
    I will wait for you to elaborate on that FP - I thought I was being serious. If anyone's a spinner here, it's Greater Fool.

Advanced Member

Best possible use for trains. At Undarra in Queensland they have a heap of carriages in the bush, used as accommodation. Quite a large number of visitors can be housed. Or just south of Mahia they fill them with concrete and push them off the line in a vain attempt to prevent more erosion.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Best possible use for trains. At Undarra in Queensland they have a heap of carriages in the bush, used as accommodation. Quite a large number of visitors can be housed. Or just south of Mahia they fill them with concrete and push them off the line in a vain attempt to prevent more erosion.
    Would they be old carriages, past their use-by date? In that case, fine. We're talking about light rail, electrification. The Nats wanted to remove all the electric trains from the North Island trunk and pull out the gear, go back to all (Chinese made?) diesels. Because it's a bit cheaper maybe. That's the wrong direction when we're needing to reduce fossil fuel use and we have mostly hydro power generators.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/87810900/Kiwirail-to-dump-electric-trains-and-replace-with-diesel-on-North-Island-main-trunk-line

Hamilton has just put some new double-decker buses onto their city routes, the main positive for me? They were all built up in NZ.
    Last edited by elZorro; 05-07-2018 at 06:51 AM.

Guru

Hamilton has just put some new double-decker buses onto their city routes, the main positive for me? They were all built up in NZ.
    Would they diesel belching ones or electric?