sharetrader
Page 664 of 697 FirstFirst ... 164564614654660661662663664665666667668674 ... LastLast
Results 6,631 to 6,640 of 6963

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Is unemployment the problem in NZ to repeat FPs link from earlier.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...wont-take-them

Our fishing industry has to fly in labour from Russia apparently
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123...shing-industry

The Dairy industry has been crying out for staff for a long time.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/far...er-theyre-from

I haven't gone much beyond the headlines but based on these headlines something is not adding up to me. 2 of these are October 2020 headlines and one June 2020 all after the lockdown.
    I currently have work sitting in an office but if push came to shove and I had no work I would hope I would take up work in these areas rather than living off everyone else. It doesn't sound like there is a shortage of jobs in NZ. It sounds more like a shortage of people willing to do them. It is hard to believe that all the unemployed are unable to find work especially while employers in productive industries are having to look overseas to find staff.
    Yes plenty of blue collar labour jobs ....but far too Many Lazy Kiwis think they are far too superior to do them,, much rather suck on the tit of welfare..why work hard and help you country create more jobs ... when you look at some of the policies of the Far Left with talk of $300+ week payment living wage to students might well head back to school go get Arts Degree ... why work my ass off and risk my life at sea not seeing my family 140+days a year ...
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Breeding beneficiaries & Labour’s voter base - going to be a whole heap of wasteful spending in the next 3 years - it’s the nature of the beast.

Just make sure you are in the right place and right sector to make plenty from it - your future direct descendants are going to pay for it anyway so you better make & salt it away from the spending for their benefit (if you so choose).

One of our government projects is bound to get the green light now and it’s gonna be BONANZA time!

I ❤️ It ..... 🤣
    Last edited by Balance; 19-10-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Gonna love ❤️ the next 3 years!

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/on-the-in...-own-handbrake

Ardern and Robertson have shown themselves to be as cautious as they are astute in reading mandates. If the first term is anything to go by, they will be reading this result as a mandate for more of the same, not for a bold second term transformation. In short, some of its supporters now want the do-little status quo and some want the promised transformation.

Ardern has promised both and now has to find a way to walk the line without falling over-board.

Whichever way they play it, the pressure will come on them. There is much water, as the poem says, but is it water they can use to explore new horizons or is it steady as she goes? Could it even be such a flood of support it could sink the good ship Labour and Captain Ardern?

Congratulations Labour on being able to govern alone. But now you've got to govern alone.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Many votes went to Labour because of the fear of the Greens having any substantial bargaining power, i felt that fear but fortunately the greater evil has been averted.
    You might be correct but you are speculating.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    You might be correct but you are speculating.
    There is no doubt that some rural votes went that way, but how many can only be speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Why is she "stressing the strong mandate given to Labour and the need to keep voters who may have turned to Labour for the first time" when she has already stressed that she/they will govern for all NZers?
    That is her duty regardless of the strength of the vote.
    There has been substantial cash incentives to employ new people from the government all year long for small business. Jacinda I think will do two terms and resign before the next election, timing wise will be a a better time to move onto international opportunities with freed up borders and recovery starting to occur internationally.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Gonna love ❤️ the next 3 years!

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/on-the-in...-own-handbrake

Ardern and Robertson have shown themselves to be as cautious as they are astute in reading mandates. If the first term is anything to go by, they will be reading this result as a mandate for more of the same, not for a bold second term transformation. In short, some of its supporters now want the do-little status quo and some want the promised transformation.

Ardern has promised both and now has to find a way to walk the line without falling over-board.

Whichever way they play it, the pressure will come on them. There is much water, as the poem says, but is it water they can use to explore new horizons or is it steady as she goes? Could it even be such a flood of support it could sink the good ship Labour and Captain Ardern?

Congratulations Labour on being able to govern alone. But now you've got to govern alone.
    John Minto comes to similar conclusions (even uses the handbrake analogy) and his disdain for Ardern is evident. Funny how a far leftie dislikes her for the same reasons as I do.

https://thedailyblog.co.nz/2020/10/2...nts-handbrake/

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    John Minto comes to similar conclusions (even uses the handbrake analogy) and his disdain for Ardern is evident. Funny how a far leftie dislikes her for the same reasons as I do.

https://thedailyblog.co.nz/2020/10/2...nts-handbrake/
    Summed up well :

‘The ”T” word will not be a happening thing in this government because the biggest handbrake on transformation is the Prime Minister herself.‘

Better make the best of the BONANZA of wasteful government spending in the next 3 years - NZ is going to be in one almighty economic & social mess when Cindy buggers off to the UN. Somebody else is going to have to clean up her mess.
    Last edited by Balance; 20-10-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Summed up well :

‘The ”T” word will not be a happening thing in this government because the biggest handbrake on transformation is the Prime Minister herself.‘
    Transformation can take many forms, and tackling the social/cultural issues such as assisted dying, cannabis and abortion is transformational and shows courage and that she is not afraid, unlike National, to raise controversial and divisive issues such as abortion, when there is public support for them.
    I always read the comments on articles – “Jacinda is a pragmatist rather than a populist” – I agree.
    This comment makes a lot of sense “I think you will find the issue with a Capital Gains tax wasn’t about popularity with voters but more about more than half of politicians having investment properties themselves, she said it was “politically unpalatable” in other words, she was unable to get the numbers to pass anything.”
    “Poverty, Housing and Tax. All 3 are the same issue, welded together” = neoliberalism. All in the very hard basket.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    “Poverty, Housing and Tax. All 3 are the same issue, welded together” = neoliberalism. All in the very hard basket.
    Which tenets of neoliberalism make those three inevitable, and are any tenets OK? The new government can make changes but will they?