sharetrader
Page 229 of 697 FirstFirst ... 129179219225226227228229230231232233239279329 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 6963

Shane wants to get ‘nephs of the couch’ in Northland

Spending zillions on much better and faster internet access seems a good first step.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Shane wants to get ‘nephs of the couch’ in Northland

Spending zillions on much better and faster internet access seems a good first step.
    Should improve the ping rate for a better gaming experience.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/p...rd-at-waitangi

Jacinda -lets do this !!!! (maybe next year)

Is it just me or does she sound completely out of her depth as PM of NZ ... now don't get me wrong she's a great saleswoman with lots of great slogans but when it comes to fronting to the hard questions she goes missing ...
    Last edited by JBmurc; 05-02-2019 at 09:31 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post

Is it just me or does she sound completely out of her depth as PM of NZ ... now don't get me wrong she's a great saleswoman with lots of great slogans but when it comes to fronting to the hard questions she goes missing ...
    Can you think of anyone in Labour who could do any better?

https://www.labour.org.nz/ourteam

Willie Jackson perhaps? Maybe Lees-Galloway or Phil Twyford? Hipkins? Curran? Kelvin Davis? There are one or two in there with potential, but overall they're a pretty weak bunch; which I suspect is why Winston picked them. But it's not just you, to answer your question. I give Ardern top marks for charisma (which is important) but nothing else.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post

With respect, some of those questions were impossible to answer anyway. As Jacinda said, StatsNZ runs the big HES with just a few thousand families, so couldn't have significant data on any tight aspect of NZ from that. But Labour has added to the budget of StatsNZ to increase the data flow. I thought she did very well to supply lots of other figures to support her argument cohesively. There are hundreds fewer Maori in jail today than a year ago, for example.

I'm not sure anyone left in National's ranks could have done better, but of course that's an academic thought, because they are out of office, stranded, and looking around for a new leader.

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    There are hundreds fewer Maori in jail today than a year ago, for example.
    The proportion is up from around 50% to 51%

Legend

With respect, some of those questions were impossible to answer anyway. As Jacinda said, StatsNZ runs the big HES with just a few thousand families, so couldn't have significant data on any tight aspect of NZ from that. But Labour has added to the budget of StatsNZ to increase the data flow. I thought she did very well to supply lots of other figures to support her argument cohesively. There are hundreds fewer Maori in jail today than a year ago, for example.

I'm not sure anyone left in National's ranks could have done better, but of course that's an academic thought, because they are out of office, stranded, and looking around for a new leader.
    Well done eZ. I agree with most of that, although I'm not sure you're right about Maoris (note English plural) in jail.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Well done eZ. I agree with most of that, although I'm not sure you're right about Maoris (note English plural) in jail.
    Thanks for the positive feedback, quite good to see on Waitangi Day. I've been busy pulling up carpet ready for our first ever new carpet install but it looks like Waitangi was great today.

I had enough time to check up on the plural of Maori, I just had the feeling that nowadays the wording has changed, FP.

Sure enough, Wikipaedia:

The plural form "Maoris" is sometimes used for members of the people, but "Maori" is preferred, as the term is invariant in Māori.
    I couldn't find any prison data, and I assume Jacinda was responding to National saying that the proportion of Maori in prison is 1% higher, but obviously prison numbers have been dropping recently.

I couldn't find any prison data, and I assume Jacinda was responding to National saying that the proportion of Maori in prison is 1% higher, but obviously prison numbers have been dropping recently.
    Latest quarterly data.
    Sept 2018 total population 10.052. 51.0% Maori, 39.3% violence, 20.2% sexual offences.
    Sept 2017 total population 10,470 50.7% maori., 38% violence, 19.5% sexual offences

So more violent and sexual offending under labour and Maori are a greater proportion of prison population

Legend

Thanks for the positive feedback, quite good to see on Waitangi Day. I've been busy pulling up carpet ready for our first ever new carpet install but it looks like Waitangi was great today.

I had enough time to check up on the plural of Maori, I just had the feeling that nowadays the wording has changed, FP.

Sure enough, Wikipaedia:

The plural form "Maoris" is sometimes used for members of the people, but "Maori" is preferred, as the term is invariant in Māori.
    It's not preferred by me. Maori is the Maori plural, but I speak English, and in English we normally pluralise with an S. There are exceptions like fish and sheep. I'll stick to adding the S, because it is not ambiguous. For the same reason I talk about youths, rather than the trendy 'youth' as a plural.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 06-02-2019 at 09:53 PM.