sharetrader
Page 53 of 697 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153553 ... LastLast
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    If you bothered to inform yourself of some clear truths you'd be more up with it other than being openly blind to whats going on. hager finds the truth, fact.

regarding above i guess you didn't listen to Winston either?
    WP" you've got to have a regard for cultural sensitivities around the world and regard for the environment you're in, a member of parliament would be expected to know that..... a lot of cultures dont go in for handshaking whether its male or female"

Winston was really sensible about this.
    Do they show the same respect and understanding of our culture when our MPs visit Iran ? No I didnīt think so and thatīs why I do not agree with you and Winnie. It is pathetic .

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Do they show the same respect and understanding of our culture when our MPs visit Iran ? No I didnīt think so and thatīs why I do not agree with you and Winnie. It is pathetic .
    Well said. When we go there our women cover their heads with a scarf or similar. If they come here they should shake our hands (female or male). When in Rome etc... and if you do not like it or it goes that much against your convictions, then do not visit Rome.

Veteran novice

Isn't this the sensible way to treat this "incident"?

"Labour's Jo Luxton is the deputy chair of the Primary Production select committee, which held a meeting with the Iranians today.

She says as a woman it made her uncomfortable, but she understands that in her role as an MP she'll deal with situations of cultural difference."

A storm in a teacup!

IMO

For sure, nuff said.

Dilettante

I don't agree that treating people differently based on gender is a "storm in a teacup". It is not acceptable in NZ, not the way we live our lives and we shouldn't accept such treatment of our female MPs or anyone else. It is a human rights issue but we grovel for these people, both in their home country and ours, to avoid upsetting them. Sad.

IMO

We do grovel a lot. When Chinese dignitaries come, Tibet cant be mentioned and the entourage is rerouted to avoided any possible protestors etc.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    We do grovel a lot. When Chinese dignitaries come, Tibet cant be mentioned and the entourage is rerouted to avoided any possible protestors etc.
    Yes, we do. And that probably reflects the reality of our position. Not easy being a small, "remote" producer of, mainly, commodity exports, selling to much bigger, stronger customers.

IMO

Yes "glistens like a pearl at the bottom of the world" Tim Finn
    But for most we are just a pimple on the backside of humanity at the bottom of the world selling bulk bin inn stuff and often treated like supermarkets treat their suppliers, even forcing them to supply and bag stuff under the supermkt brand PAM,man. Well not yet, luckily the world still believes in our fake clean green brand.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I don't agree that treating people differently based on gender is a "storm in a teacup". It is not acceptable in NZ, not the way we live our lives and we shouldn't accept such treatment of our female MPs or anyone else.
    Not acceptable in NZ? Its codified in our laws that one sex gets treated differently than the other would if the roles were reversed in some situations.

Having that we still have that Ministry of Women's Affairs says it all. So yes, we're treated differently based on gender.