sharetrader
Page 8 of 697 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108508 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Anyway, Labour coalition and we see petrol prices (2 this week) at their highest levels in 2 years. Thats going to make those in poverty poorer!
    Of course oil prices being at a 2 year high had nothing to do with petrol price rises.

westerly

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    Of course oil prices being at a 2 year high had nothing to do with petrol price rises.

westerly
    ignoring the NZ $ huh!

Guru

These turkeys are getting very good at spending taxpayers money.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/986...ed-to-26-weeks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post

Turkeys for sure, I mean it's up to us to pay for people's lifestyle choice to have children, I wonder if they will contribute toward my next ski trip, surely enjoying nature should also be subsidized.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post

Not all that different to what your party proposed.

“Pre-election, National said it would increase the 18 week paid entitlement to 22 weeks”

Labour is set to do that next year but the increase to 26 weeks does not happen until 2020. I think thats an acceptable time frame and probably one National would have eventually adopted themselves.

As the article states, we currently have one of the lowest entitlements in the OECD. It is an improvement that has long been overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post

“Pre-election, National said it would increase the 18 week paid entitlement to 22 weeks”
    Arguably, one reason National got the boot was because they were getting too good at spending other people's money. Labour is sure to outspend them no matter what.

Guru

Labour is set to do that next year but the increase to 26 weeks does not happen until 2020. I think thats an acceptable time frame and probably one National would have eventually adopted themselves.

As the article states, we currently have one of the lowest entitlements in the OECD. It is an improvement that has long been overdue.
    Personally I don't think there should be any parental leave. People should plan their life to pay for kids if that's what they wish to have. Just like buying a car or a house. Why should we all contribute. Personal responsibility..

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Arguably, one reason National got the boot was because they were getting too good at spending other people's money. Labour is sure to outspend them no matter what.
    The Government (regardless of which party) is in the business of spending “other people’s money.” Thats how it works. You are right in expecting that Labour will probably outspend National - in some areas. Parental leave being one of them. I’m fine with that. National spent a huge amount of money restructuring a well known Ministry, which shall remain nameless. I used to work for said Ministry and over the 8 years I was there theychased their tail round in circles, going from one episode of restructuring to the next, each round of restructuring costing the tax payer millions of dollars (don’t even get me started on the exorbitant payments to so-called consultants). Never really listening to the people working on the coal face who knew better than anybody what was wrong (and what was right) with the organisation. And this was only one government department. They did the same thing with several others and achieved zilch.

I might be wrong but I suspect you are a diehard National supporter who votes National every election because thats what you’ve always done. Apologies if I am wrong about that, but that kind of voting is one of the things wrong with this country. The fact that the majority of voters voted for a party other than National was a vote for change. People now need to suck it up and give the new government a chance to prove themselves. Instead of National voters/supporters being the voice of doom, how about just letting it all pan out for a bit before reserving judgement.

I like this idea of doubling the number of Labour Inspectors

That’ll sort out the delinquent horrible employers who don’t do things properly.

bugger - I’ve misplaced a month of employee tinesheets. Hope the business who I do the books pro bona doesn’t get caught out by one of these new inspectors and heavily fined.
    Last edited by winner69; 06-11-2017 at 05:30 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

The Government (regardless of which party) is in the business of spending “other people’s money.” Thats how it works. You are right in expecting that Labour will probably outspend National
    Actually no - though I appreciate as a government public servant you might think that way. The government is in the business of protecting the lives and liberties of its citizens. That of course takes money to do which is rightfully extracted from those citizens.

To that list i can concede it is also there to provide a hand up for those that cant help themselves in times of need. And again it takes some of its citizens money to achieve that as well.

And in some case where economic economy of scale makes sense government may play a part in other activities.

Government is not in the business of procreation or domestic subsidies - or at least it shouldn't be.

The only reason it strays from its core responsibilities is self interest - that is to use other peoples money to win and secure votes.

I might be wrong but I suspect you are a diehard National supporter who votes National every election because thats what you’ve always done. Apologies if I am wrong about that, but that kind of voting is one of the things wrong with this country.
    Its that kind of wooly thinking that makes us tax payers shudder every time we see some of our hard earnt money disappear into government departments - we just know we aren't going to get good value.