sharetrader
Page 154 of 175 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 2619
  1. #2296
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    4,955

    Default

    Well, Cindy is certainly a smooth talker - but here is more: she promised 2019 will be the year for Labour to deliver.

    And hey - she started already: unemployment rate 4,3 % up from 3.9 % in Q3 - miimum wage policies start to bite;

    https://tradingeconomics.com/new-zea...mployment-rate

    Anybody paid Road user charges recently? They are now (for a light vehicle) close to 7 c per liter - as high as never before ... but hey, unemployed people don't need to drive that much - good thinking!

    Looking forward to the rest of the year. Just tell us EZ, what is the next thing this government will hit us with?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  2. #2297
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    CNI area NZ
    Posts
    6,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Well, Cindy is certainly a smooth talker - but here is more: she promised 2019 will be the year for Labour to deliver.

    And hey - she started already: unemployment rate 4,3 % up from 3.9 % in Q3 - miimum wage policies start to bite;

    https://tradingeconomics.com/new-zea...mployment-rate

    Anybody paid Road user charges recently? They are now (for a light vehicle) close to 7 c per liter - as high as never before ... but hey, unemployed people don't need to drive that much - good thinking!

    Looking forward to the rest of the year. Just tell us EZ, what is the next thing this government will hit us with?
    I'm not going to apologize for high fuel taxes. We all need to think long and hard about using heat engines at max 25% efficiency, using fossil fuels. Did you see the news tonight? (Climate change). Maybe more of us should ride a bike or e-bike to work. In smaller towns, that's quite sensible. Our kids should be walking or biking to school as well, where possible and if no buses available. Terrible traffic noted whenever school starts up again.

    Do you think recent minimum wage increases have added to the unemployment level? More likely a general cooling of the economy, and no govt can easily fix that. Besides, National kicked off a big boom in immigration, so part of it is that we now have a bigger population.

    KiwiBuild will kick off, read up on it and see that the govt is working hard on talking to about 44 off-site housing providers, will be getting quotes soon no doubt.

  3. #2298
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I'm not going to apologize for high fuel taxes. We all need to think long and hard about using heat engines at max 25% efficiency, using fossil fuels. Did you see the news tonight? (Climate change). Maybe more of us should ride a bike or e-bike to work. In smaller towns, that's quite sensible. Our kids should be walking or biking to school as well, where possible and if no buses available. Terrible traffic noted whenever school starts up again. .
    I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what jot of difference anything NZ does that will make even a slight difference to a changing climate.

    Jeez and now we have unemployment up and job opportunities down. Thats useless at getting people out of poverdy. She useless at Kiwibuild, useless tree planting, useless transparency. She cant even produce a healthy breakfast at Waitangi, bother to do any of her speech in te reo and muffed the patsy Treaty question

  4. #2299
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    CNI area NZ
    Posts
    6,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what jot of difference anything NZ does that will make even a slight difference to a changing climate.

    Jeez and now we have unemployment up and job opportunities down. Thats useless at getting people out of poverdy. She useless at Kiwibuild, useless tree planting, useless transparency. She cant even produce a healthy breakfast at Waitangi, bother to do any of her speech in te reo and muffed the patsy Treaty question
    Here's a few ideas on what individuals and families can do about climate change.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...big-difference

    Enough pressure on politicians and they'll have to take it all into account in their lawmaking and policies. Before you know it, other countries could be looking at the example NZ sets. I really hope the coalition makes some changes in this direction. I certainly made sure our new List MP had plenty of info on possible runaway events like massive methane emissions from the East Siberian Arctic Shelf. Google it, if you want a real-world frightening experience.

    From the PM's speech today:
    Building a sustainable economy
    In addition to skills, the Government will use 2019 to contend with bigger, longer-term trends that will have a transformational affect on our economy.
    As I have said before, climate change is the defining issue of my generation.
    We know that we all have to adapt now to avoid catastrophe for the generations to come.
    We have a plan for a just transition to a low-emissions economy based on a more sustainable growth model. We want to ensure that this transition is phased and signalled early to give businesses and workers certainty and flexibility.
    The Government will soon announce plans for legislation to establish an enduring institutional framework for managing the long-term transition to a low-emissions economy.
    This legislation will contain legally binding emissions’ reduction targets and it will see the establishment of an independent Climate Change Commission, which will recommend emissions reduction budgets and provide advice on policy development and initiatives in transport, energy and primary industries.
    The Government’s Just Transition work programme will assist New Zealand to successfully transition to a low-emissions economy.
    The work programme includes looking at energy, regional economic development and workforce planning. It has a strong connection to education and skills development to create new jobs.
    A Just Transition Summit in May this year will kick-start a national conversation about what the Just Transition means for New Zealand.
    But it won’t just be a local conversation. We will be testing ideas that the world is interested in too. The conversations I had in bilateral meetings and conferences increasingly demonstrated to me that the world is not only looking for ideas, it is hunting for them. And New Zealand is on its list.
    We recently announced a $100 million capital injection to New Zealand Green Investment Finance Ltd to stimulate new private sector investment in low-emissions industries. More and more investment dollars globally are looking for clean, sustainable ventures to invest in.
    New Zealand Green Investment Finance Ltd positions New Zealand to attract its share of that investment capital, and will provide businesses with a pathway to being part of efforts to confront the greatest challenge facing the planet.
    Last edited by elZorro; 08-02-2019 at 08:15 PM.

  5. #2300
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    4,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I'm not going to apologize for high fuel taxes. We all need to think long and hard about using heat engines at max 25% efficiency, using fossil fuels. Did you see the news tonight? (Climate change). Maybe more of us should ride a bike or e-bike to work. In smaller towns, that's quite sensible. Our kids should be walking or biking to school as well, where possible and if no buses available. Terrible traffic noted whenever school starts up again.
    Pretty inconsiderate comment. City dweller without a clue how life is in the countryside where the people live who's work allows you to enjoy your latte ...?

    We do live in the country and most people around here need to drive into the next township (12km), community town (20 km) or city (40 km) for work, to get to the doctor, to see the council, for shopping or even to get to WINZ appointments. They need a car to pick up children after school events.

    There used to be no public transport at all - at current there is one bus in the morning and one in the evening going though the township - and it might not bring you to where you want to go.

    Even the next kindy is 12 km away - do you expect 4 year olds to drive with a bicycle down the highway to get there?

    And we don't even live particularly isolated - many others are worse off. Does Labour really want everybody to move to South Auckland to have the WINZ office and public transport directly in front of the house door and to increase the number of unemployed people?

    Cindy's tax hikes do bite around here - and they bite ordinary people. But hey - why should a Labour supporter care for ordinary people, particularly if they live in the country side? Just drink another latte in the cafe around the corner and discuss how you can still increase the pain and sufferering of the rural communities. Just cash cows living there - isn't it?

    I guess there must be a reason most people around here vote National. They understand real life.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  6. #2301
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Here's a few ideas on what individuals and families can do about climate change.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...big-difference:
    So tell me. How many parts per million of CO2 will be reduced in the atmosphere?

    I do expect an answer - because there is no point doing these thing unless there is a measurable outcome.

  7. #2302
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    683

    Default

    "Anybody paid Road user charges recently? They are now (for a light vehicle) close to 7 c per liter - as high as never before ... but hey, unemployed people don't need to drive that much - good thinking!"

    Road user charges a based on distance traveled ?

    "Pretty inconsiderate comment. City dweller without a clue how life is in the countryside where the people live who's work allows you to enjoy your latte ...? "

    It is real tough living on a lifestyle block

    westerly

  8. #2303
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Dont you just wish Labour understood basic economics. Like supply and demand. There is demand for cheap housing in Wanaka. So what do they do - supply expensive 2 bedroom homes for between $565 and $575,000 and three bedroom homes for $635 - $645,000. As a consequence there is no demand and 6 Kiwibuild houses have gone on the open market. https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/110468062/six-wanaka-kiwibuild-houses-on-open-market

  9. #2304
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    "Anybody paid Road user charges recently? They are now (for a light vehicle) close to 7 c per liter - as high as never before ... but hey, unemployed people don't need to drive that much - good thinking!"

    Road user charges a based on distance traveled ?
    More basic math that seems difficult to understand. The further you live out in the country the further you travel so the more liters in fuel you use and the more Road Users charges you pay.

  10. #2305
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    And another complete flop - the $3b Regional Development Fund. So far it has succeded in job creation. Not for NEPH's. But for Wellington beaurocrats. 118 of them. While the regions have benefited to the tune of 54 actual jobs for decent NZ'ers. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12201355

  11. #2306
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    More basic math that seems difficult to understand. The further you live out in the country the further you travel so the more liters in fuel you use and the more Road Users charges you pay.
    More basic maths? RUC are per 1000k travelled . Presumably the amount of fuel used per 1000k would stay the same. There is no increase in fuel cost.

    westerly

  12. #2307
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    More basic maths? RUC are per 1000k travelled . Presumably the amount of fuel used per 1000k would stay the same. There is no increase in fuel cost.

    westerly
    . The point being made was pretty plain and obvious - to sensible people at least. Road user charges increased the equivalent of 3.5 cents a litre in October 2018, with another die in 2019 and 2020 https://www.transport.govt.nz/land/road-user-charges-ruc-and-petrol-excise-duty-ped/increases-to-petrol-excise-duty-and-road-user-charges/

  13. #2308
    Legend shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    6,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what jot of difference anything NZ does that will make even a slight difference to a changing climate.

    Jeez and now we have unemployment up and job opportunities down. Thats useless at getting people out of poverdy. She useless at Kiwibuild, useless tree planting, useless transparency. She cant even produce a healthy breakfast at Waitangi, bother to do any of her speech in te reo and muffed the patsy Treaty question
    The greenies will tell you removing plastic bags from NZ supermarkets is playing a part.

    Not sure any green policies in NZ is going to reduce emissions from the 2 biggest polluters USA and China.

    The UN's IPCC has a lot to answer for.
    Disc holding - GAL, IGO, LEG, SES

  14. #2309
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    23,793

    Default

    Apparently it was a great speech by Jacinda yesterday

    https://www.beehive.govt.nz/speech/p...land-breakfast

    Michael Reddell in his blog not impressed -

    I read the Prime Minister's economics speech yesterday. I wasn't impressed. There is simply no sign that she cares one jot about New Zealand's decades of underperformance or that she has any sort of analytical framework (herself or from her advisers) for even thinking about the issue. It be repetitious to say so - as a reader this week suggested - but the utter unseriousness about our ongoing relative decline really matters; perhaps not directly or much for many people my age or older, but for our kids, and their future kids. Including for the question of whether the next generations even stay, rather than joining the million or so New Zealanders (net) who've left over recent decades.

    She continues to perpetuate what are little more than lies
    Last edited by winner69; 09-02-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

    –Benjamin Graham”

  15. #2310
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    7,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    And another complete flop - the $3b Regional Development Fund. So far it has succeded in job creation. Not for NEPH's. But for Wellington beaurocrats. 118 of them. While the regions have benefited to the tune of 54 actual jobs for decent NZ'ers. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12201355
    National are becoming more and more trump like every day and less relevant too with their "wolf" stories.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •