sharetrader
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 194
  1. #151
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

    Not a good start and one would think the Government would have bigger fish to fry at the start. Buy obviously that does not include allowing parents to choose which one of them stays home to look after the newborns. Labour knows best https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...parental-leave

    Sounds familiar ?
    Actually you got that wrong. Labour is fine with parents choosing which one takes the paid parental leave. What they are not fine with is National’s suggestion that both parents take leave at the same time for a shorter total period of leave.

  2. #152
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Actually you got that wrong. Labour is fine with parents choosing which one takes the paid parental leave. What they are not fine with is National’s suggestion that both parents take leave at the same time for a shorter total period of leave.
    Any idea what their problem is with parents having a bit of a choice, whether home togethr for some of it or not ? I donīt understand what the issue is for them.

    Last year my son and daughter in-law. who live in another country, took leave for 3 months at the same time as they had the newborn and a 2 year old. They can take 3 months each of non-trabsferable (together or separately) parental leave and another 3 months of transferable parental leave. 9 months in total if fully utilized. They said the 3 months together was a great thing to be able to do. But not in NZ apparently, according to Labour !!
    Last edited by iceman; 15-11-2017 at 01:27 AM.

  3. #153
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Any idea what their problem is with parents having a bit of a choice, whether home togethr for some of it or not ? I donīt understand what the issue is for them.

    Last year my son and daughter in-law. who live in another country, took leave for 3 months at the same time as they had the newborn and a 2 year old. They can take 3 months each of non-trabsferable (together or separately) parental leave and another 3 months of transferable parental leave. 9 months in total if fully utilized. They said the 3 months together was a great thing to be able to do. But not in NZ apparently, according to Labour !!
    Simple. Labour has committed to extending the period of paid parental leave (for one parent) to 22 weeks initially, up to 26 in 2020. There are several ideas behind this. That provides a significant chunk of time for one parent to focus on bonding with their baby, establishing breastfeeding (if its Mum), recovering from birth especially if it was a birth requiring medical intervention. The NZ College of Midwives has come out in support of this initiative.

    For some strange reason National has (apparently suddenly, unless I missed something) decided it would be best to give both parents leave at the same time, but only half the amount of leave. Which kind of defeats the purpose of increasing the period of leave in the first place. So of course Labour isn’t going to buy into that suggestion.

    Your son’s scenario above is an awesome idea and I agree that taking the first 3 months off together would be invaluable. But in that scenario your daughter in law could then still take another 3 months off if she wished - so 6 months for Mum. I doubt even National would support that kind of arrangement as the cost in this country would be pretty significant.

    I understand where Labour is coming from. I also see some merit in what National is proposing but I don’t think 3 months is enough. It can easily take a good 6 weeks or more to establish breastfeeding alone.

    Labour has has started things rolling with the increase in the number of weeks of leave. Down the track they may well re-visit it and make some changes. But reducing the total amount of leave would be a backward step and I don’t see it happening.

  4. #154
    An awesome cool cat
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    18,056

    Default

    So the economists who said their wasn't a big hole in Labours plans (ie who said Joyce was wrong) are now worried about rising debt

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/988...n-labours-plan
    Politics is just noise - company fundamentals win out at the end of the day

  5. #155
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    4,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    So the economists who said their wasn't a big hole in Labours plans (ie who said Joyce was wrong) are now worried about rising debt

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/988...n-labours-plan
    Hasn't taken long to find the hole. Just a matter of how deep it is, but Joyce's figures are looking pretty accurate.

  6. #156
    An awesome cool cat
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    18,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Hasn't taken long to find the hole. Just a matter of how deep it is, but Joyce's figures are looking pretty accurate.
    we be all honky dory by 2022 though ...no worries
    Politics is just noise - company fundamentals win out at the end of the day

  7. #157
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Wellington, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Hasn't taken long to find the hole. Just a matter of how deep it is, but Joyce's figures are looking pretty accurate.

    No they are not accurate. Not all of the forward expenditure taken into account by Mr Joyce has been factored in yet. Even Mr Robertson in QT 14 November is back tracking on the debt repayment rate. (Not sure I would count him as an expert though.)

  8. #158
    An awesome cool cat
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    18,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    No they are not accurate. Not all of the forward expenditure taken into account by Mr Joyce has been factored in yet. Even Mr Robertson in QT 14 November is back tracking on the debt repayment rate. (Not sure I would count him as an expert though.)
    so its actrually a lot worse?
    Politics is just noise - company fundamentals win out at the end of the day

  9. #159
    Guru minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    3,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Simple. Labour has committed to extending the period of paid parental leave (for one parent) to 22 weeks initially, up to 26 in 2020. There are several ideas behind this. That provides a significant chunk of time for one parent to focus on bonding with their baby, establishing breastfeeding (if its Mum), recovering from birth especially if it was a birth requiring medical intervention. The NZ College of Midwives has come out in support of this initiative.
    .
    Seems inconsistent with extended parental leave provisions which essentially provides for 2 parents sharing up to 12 months between them.

  10. #160
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Seems inconsistent with extended parental leave provisions which essentially provides for 2 parents sharing up to 12 months between them.
    If we are going to have paid parental leave, the parents should decide for themselves how they want to use it, not the Gummit

  11. #161
    Guru minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    3,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    If we are going to have paid parental leave, the parents should decide for themselves how they want to use it, not the Gummit
    Some would have us believe that since its the Gummits money they decide the rules.

  12. #162
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Simple. Labour has committed to extending the period of paid parental leave (for one parent) to 22 weeks initially, up to 26 in 2020. There are several ideas behind this. That provides a significant chunk of time for one parent to focus on bonding with their baby, establishing breastfeeding (if its Mum), recovering from birth especially if it was a birth requiring medical intervention. The NZ College of Midwives has come out in support of this initiative.
    It would be useful for Labour to cite the research that supports an extension to 26 weeks. Thus far all I have heard is "NZCM supports it" and the odd mention that the policies other countries in the OECD are currently greater than ours, neither of which adequately supports their policy in an objective fashion.
    Last edited by Zaphod; 15-11-2017 at 11:54 AM.

  13. #163
    An awesome cool cat
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    18,056

    Default

    If National MP Jian Yang was the China conduit to NZ I wonder whose doing that role for the Labour Government.

    Labour in Opposition seemed quite comfortable with Jian Yang and never made any comment about him at all.

    That Professor Brady has some interesting views on Chinese relationships.
    Last edited by winner69; 16-11-2017 at 07:23 AM.
    Politics is just noise - company fundamentals win out at the end of the day

  14. #164
    Guru minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    3,490

    Default

    Wellington trains on strike. No coincidence that happens under Labour. No coincidence the Speaker of the house is a card carrying member of that Union

  15. #165
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    4,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Some would have us believe that since its the Gummits money they decide the rules.
    But it isn't the gummints money; it belongs to those they are returning it to - minus about 40% for handling fees.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •