sharetrader
Page 685 of 697 FirstFirst ... 185585635675681682683684685686687688689695 ... LastLast
Results 6,841 to 6,850 of 6963

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Badly flawed premise moka. Can you show me where neo-liberalism was present in the Kirk/Rowling/Muldoon governments of the 70's?

Your long treatise bears no relation to NZ history. Check your dates for when LABOUR's neo-liberal policies came into play in the late 80's, as a kneejerk reaction to the interventionist policies of the 70s which combined with the oil shocks and formation of the EEC had been a disaster.
    Moka, ignore Jonu and Blackcap who I suspect, given their undying support of the biggest joke to come out of the US since the Marx bothers, are Republicans who have lost their way and found themselves in NZ.
    Milton Freidman and the Chicago School of Economics originated in the seventies and became prominent with Regan and Thatcher.
    You are quite correct to say NZ had a better standard of living in the seventies, maybe not materially but socially.
    State Advances offered finance for first home builders and developers catered to the market building modest homes on bare sections. Totally different nowdays.

westerly

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    Moka, ignore Jonu and Blackcap who I suspect, given their undying support of the biggest joke to come out of the US since the Marx bothers, are Republicans who have lost their way and found themselves in NZ.
    Milton Freidman and the Chicago School of Economics originated in the seventies and became prominent with Regan and Thatcher.
    You are quite correct to say NZ had a better standard of living in the seventies, maybe not materially but socially.
    State Advances offered finance for first home builders and developers catered to the market building modest homes on bare sections. Totally different nowdays.

westerly
    Born and bred here actually westerly. And perhaps you could point me to where neo-liberal economic policies were prevalent in NZ in the 1970s?

And furthermore I have never said I supported Trump which is what you appear to be alluding to.

You and moka aren't shy of misrepresenting things to back your point of view are you? Pretty low level of integrity on display.

Ignoring me doesn't make the truth go away.
    Last edited by jonu; 28-10-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Legend

Born and bred here actually westerly. And perhaps you could point me to where neo-liberal economic policies were prevalent in NZ in the 1970s?

I'd be interested too Westerley - don't keep us guessing. Give us some examples.

Advanced Member

Westerly
    One big difference back in the day was the ability to capitalise family benefit, because it was universal. That was often enough for a deposit on a modest home.

Banned

The music was way better than this synthetic junk we have today.

And furthermore I have never said I supported Trump which is what you appear to be alluding to.

You and moka aren't shy of misrepresenting things to back your point of view are you? Pretty low level of integrity on display.

My apologies Jonu, got you mixed up with Paddles, must be old age. 😳
    Moka said the chart quoted showed the same decline as the US from the seventies. Douglas was in Govt 1984-90 followed by Richardson and they were responsible for the introduction of neo liberal
    policies.
    That there has been a decline in living standards from the seventies as a direct result is undeniable.
    The demands for free dental care the latest evidence of a decline in living standards.

westerly

Guru

My apologies Jonu, got you mixed up with Paddles, must be old age. ��
    Moka said the chart quoted showed the same decline as the US from the seventies. Douglas was in Govt 1984-90 followed by Richardson and they were responsible for the introduction of neo liberal
    policies.
    That there has been a decline in living standards from the seventies as a direct result is undeniable.
    The demands for free dental care the latest evidence of a decline in living standards.

westerly
    Apology accepted westerly.

If the decline in living standards was due to neo-liberal policies introduced by Labour in the mid to late 80s, why did moka acknowledge the decline actually began in the 70s?
    There is no evident correlation.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    (The Labour proposed 39% to be introduced is in my opinion too high on the wrong side of the curve and will boost the black economy.)
    I think any further reliance on income taxes, instead of broadening the tax base, will be on the wrong side of the curve. it will more likely boost the comparative appeal of those assets earning predominately capital gains.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I think any further reliance on income taxes, instead of broadening the tax base, will be on the wrong side of the curve. it will more likely boost the comparative appeal of those assets earning predominately capital gains.

Capital gains are of no particular benefit to traders.
    PIE income looks more attractive than it was to investors.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123...ney-to-be-made

Hard work in the horticultural sector but decent money.

Try telling that to the tens of thousands on benefits who are enjoying the laid back lifestyle.