sharetrader
Page 32 of 697 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132532 ... LastLast
    Guru

So these dimwits are underway with their agenda. No discussion, just change what they want. H1 program being continued by H2.

I am not at all religious but the prayer has been there since the beginning and if it is to be removed then there should be discussion and then a vote within Parliament.

Next week we will probably find we will be a republic.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    So these dimwits are underway with their agenda. No discussion, just change what they want. H1 program being continued by H2.

I am not at all religious but the prayer has been there since the beginning and if it is to be removed then there should be discussion and then a vote within Parliament.

Next week we will probably find we will be a republic.
    I'm not religous either and very pleased to see references to Jesus Christ dropped. Sure, some still believe he had magical powers, but I think in a few years time we'll look back and laugh at such things as the resurrection and virgin births as strange ancient beliefs. Fair enough if an individual wants to believe in these miracles, but to promote them in parliament as though we all accept such things just isn't on. I don't see why parliament should vote on this. It just doesn't belong in parliament regardless of the fact some will want it to remain.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 30-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.

This has no place in our parliament for this nonsense.

"Almighty God,
    Humbly acknowledging our need for Thy guidance in all things, and laying aside all private and personal interests, we beseech Thee to grant that we may conduct the affairs of this House and of our country to the glory of Thy holy name, the maintenance of true religion and justice, the honour of the Queen, and the public welfare, peace, and tranquillity of New Zealand, through Jesus Christ our Lord"

When I voted I voted for my MP to do the thinking, in my interests and in the interests of the Party - which ought to be in the interests of NZ. I want your MP to conduct themselves in a professional manner and not bring NZ's parliamentary name into disrepute. Religion and justice do not go hand in hand.

Nor ought there be any place for any Maori mumbo jumbo karakias in any government business. Wastes time. 99.9% of attendees dont understand And adds no measurable benefit to the delivery of the public service.

As for the nonsense on turning up to Ratana - how patronising is that!

Am I the only one who thinks it is offensive to impose some prayer on someone who doesn't believe?

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it is offensive to impose some prayer on someone who doesn't believe?
    I dunno, but you may be the only one eager to put their head on the block with forthright opinions, about the prayer, Jesus Christ, the Queen, and respect for the indigenous population.

Good luck with that.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    I dunno, but you may be the only one eager to put their head on the block with forthright opinions, about the prayer, Jesus Christ, the Queen, and respect for the indigenous population.

Good luck with that.
    My head's on the block too. I'd rather politicians tackle their duties with life experience, facts and logic rather than blind faith and mythology.

Legend

Must be a vicious rumour about Bill English stepping down in the near future. Although Tracy Watkins pointed out he won't be having much fun at the moment.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...jacinda-ardern

Is this the real start of National's long hard winter while they wait for a mood for change again? How many leaders will they churn through? If Labour's experience means anything, any new leader needs at least 2 years to make any headway in an election, and this nine-year term cycle seems to be fairly predictable.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11985080

At least National have figured out that Paula Bennett might not be leader material.
    Last edited by elZorro; 31-01-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Must be a vicious rumour about Bill English stepping down in the near future. Although Tracy Watkins pointed out he won't be having much fun at the moment.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...jacinda-ardern

Is this the real start of National's long hard winter while they wait for a mood for change again? How many leaders will they churn through? If Labour's experience means anything, any new leader needs at least 2 years to make any headway in an election, and this nine-year term cycle seems to be fairly predictable.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11985080

At least National have figured out that Paula Bennett might not be leader material.
    Some of what you say is correct. However it's close to impossible to guess the future at this stage of the cycle given that Winston First will disappear at the next election; and Winston himself possibly before the next election.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Some of what you say is correct. However it's close to impossible to guess the future at this stage of the cycle given that Winston First will disappear at the next election; and Winston himself possibly before the next election.
    Exactly right. This coalition in the current form is not a "9 years cycle" Government. But yes I think it is logical to expect English to step down and do some other more interesting stuff. I would not be surprised if National would soon end up with female Leader and Deputy, Amy Adams and Nikki Kaye

IMO

Strong loyalty and respect for Bill ( Keep him i say, as many voters will never trust/believe him and joyce again, )
    What went wrong being discussed
    Nothing imminent, no signs of succession plan yet.
    If Paula goes ,Bills place under question too.
    A Degree of unhappiness about how negotiations went with Winston(they sure burnt their bridges there, another reason for paula to go?)
    Caucus soul-searching, where are we going ,how are we going to deal with Jacinda?

Political reporter on national radio just now

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    I

Good luck with that.
    Howabout a bit of respect for all those other people who have cultures and different religious beliefs that have all contributed to making what NZ is today, rather than what it was in the 1600's