sharetrader
Page 275 of 697 FirstFirst ... 175225265271272273274275276277278279285325375 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,750 of 6963
    IMO

So many countries will be envious of our position here as global business keeps slowing and brexit , trade wars mess with confidence.

"That means nearly one in every $10 collected by the Government on paper unspent on day to day operations, giving it plenty of room for election year tax cuts or increased welfare spending.

And comments today from Finance Minister Grant Robertson appear to show the Government beginning to heed calls for more spending.
    But this year's surplus was messy, with $2.6 billion of it coming from a revision to the way Treasury treats KiwiRail - in effect a surplus on paper, and roughly $1 billion coming from a change to the way IRD books taxes.
    That still leaves a very healthy surplus of $3.9 billion, which the Government will be happy with, but it will lead to renewed calls for Finance Minister Grant Robertson to loosen the purse strings and stimulate the economy as growth rates start to slow."
    Huge $7.5b surplus, calls for spending

I completely agree with your comments about all of those great people. But the world is changing. Aside from the Dalai Lama, all those other prize winners, came from a very different time in history. We have not seen those kind of people fighting those kinds of causes, for many years. I have no idea why that is, and it in no way lessens the achievements of that group of people. But we have to choose winners now, from the people we have currently. Jacinda has worked incredibly hard towards uniting people, building harmony and peace amongst different cultures, and has had the balls to stand up and speak out against racism, prejudice and terrorism. Not too many leaders have had the courage to do that lately. She genuinely cares about people. I am not necessarily saying she should win a Nobel prize, but I do believe the nomination is very well deserved.

Out of curiosity, who would you consider a worthy recipient right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    If you take a look at those who have been awarded Nobel Peace Laureates and what they have done to deserve it, there is no comparison imo that Ms Adern could possibly rank amongst the worlds great and deserving peace leaders.

Take Nelson Mandela for example, awarded in 1993 after a lifetime of opposing apartheid. Then there's Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King, Dalai Lama and so on and so forth.

Have a look here ... nobel-peace-prize, let us know why you think Ms Adern belongs with these great people.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Not forgetting the surplus. Super low unemployment= higher tax take and a great surplus to use down the track if the global economy really does turn turtle, reassuring steady pilot grant robertson.

$11 billion black hole ehhh Joyce really helped lose the election for national who now have to rebuild credibility and thats not possible with bridges delusions of grandeur.
    Economists and Labour know full well the surplus can be attributed to National. It is always the way when a government transitions. As for it being used down the track...it is being used to pay down debt, the wisdom of which is debatable when you have record low interest rates.

IMO

national are out of your mind.. maybe put that on the other lonely thread Interest rates are going lower for longer. i trust robertson and his timing.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    I completely agree with your comments about all of those great people. But the world is changing. Aside from the Dalai Lama, all those other prize winners, came from a very different time in history. We have not seen those kind of people fighting those kinds of causes, for many years. I have no idea why that is, and it in no way lessens the achievements of that group of people. But we have to choose winners now, from the people we have currently. Jacinda has worked incredibly hard towards uniting people, building harmony and peace amongst different cultures, and has had the balls to stand up and speak out against racism, prejudice and terrorism. Not too many leaders have had the courage to do that lately. She genuinely cares about people. I am not necessarily saying she should win a Nobel prize, but I do believe the nomination is very well deserved.

Out of curiosity, who would you consider a worthy recipient right now?
    We do not know who the 301 nominees for this year’s prize are, so it's not something I can speculate on other than not think Ms Adern has done nearly enough, for long enough, to win the Laureate. We'll know the winner soon enough, the Nobel committee announce the winner on Friday.

IMO

Greta way ahead in the odds atm.Jacinda 4th. heres hoping

Nobel Peace Prize 2019 Odds - Nicer Oddshttps://m.nicerodds.co.uk › nobel-peace-prize

I do not believe Greta should have been nominated. She is fighting for action against climate change. Yes, one could argue there is a connection between the two, but that would be a very far stretch for me.

Nobel Peace Prize 2019 Odds - Nicer Oddshttps://m.nicerodds.co.uk › nobel-peace-prize

Guru

Thunberg being from Scandinavia will stand her in good stead. However she hasn't exactly preached peace. As for Cindy, it would be confirmation that the Nobel Committee has lost all credibility. They have been hit and miss for years, Al Gore probably being the low point. Then again if he is the standard, Cindy is a shoe-in. BS and virtue signalling just might get her over the line.

IMO

Thanks i just hope for your sake for one she gets it, priceless

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    I do not believe Greta should have been nominated. She is fighting for action against climate change. Yes, one could argue there is a connection between the two, but that would be a very far stretch for me.
    Not just that. Should such a stroppy, aggressive and rude little know-it-all be associated with peace?