sharetrader
Page 211 of 697 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221261311 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 6963

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Trouble is we have a national leader under intense pressure who carries on like a prosecutor who cares nothing about the truth of anything and is also offensive and rude as hell, challenges the speaker in a stunt to get attention, knowing he will get thrown out, knowing the media will give him prime time and the $100 million green fund gets little to none, i guess that was a success but he is just not leadership material, dead man walking imo.
    Real problem is we have a speaker who clearly is not up to his job ...

Not sure about your description of Bridges, but than, just remind me how many "dead men walking" Labour had at their helm during the oppositon period. They changed their leaders more frequently than some people change their shirts ...

But than, I think it was clearly a winning strategy for Labour to get Goff / Shearer / Cunnliffe / Little to take all the flak and keep their real PM candidate hidden from any public scrutiny up to 6 weeks before the elections by lulling everybody in the safe knowledge that Little is never going to cut it anyway.

Bridges much better than Little in his job as opposition leader and doing a great job at the right time - and just look at Nationals ratings. Remember me where the Labour party was in opposition - wasn't it something like 20+ percent? Based on that National is poised to take next time the absolute majority ...

We will find out whether he is as well the right PM candidate - maybe National learned from Labours strategy (though I think in Labours case it was just sheer luck born from desperation). I am sure you find out early enough who will replace Cindy in her seat - assuming that next time our very own populist and king maker might have other problems than helping her again :P - Peters never made it back into the second term of a government he was part of, no matter who stood against him - and who would be Cindy without Peters? Right, at best an opposition politician.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 06-12-2018 at 09:52 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Trouble is we have a national leader under intense pressure who carries on like a prosecutor who cares nothing about the truth of anything and is also offensive and rude as hell, challenges the speaker in a stunt to get attention, knowing he will get thrown out, knowing the media will give him prime time and the $100 million green fund gets little to none, i guess that was a success but he is just not leadership material, dead man walking imo.
    Unlike the Speaker, who only the day before (in a most un-bullying manner - not!) called the Leader of the Opposition a "Smart Arze". You don't get much more un-parliamentary than that!

Save me a job will you, and remind us of just where National sits in the latest polls?

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    That guy Steward seems an interesting character
    Certainly has a haron for Jacinda. In 2017 he said "Oh my god I love the way Jacinda conducted this interview; she's so intelligent and articulate, I can't wait for her to be our Prime Minister leading a Labour Green Government." And when Jacinda in the House yesterday said she didnt know any of the people making representations on Sroubeks behalf the photos tell a different story.

Good onya Ian LG. You got your industrial relations law reform through which takes us back to the 1970's. The irony in the fact you did this without ever having held down a real job isn't lost on me. (Heres an example of a guy who did enough to get through his 90 day trial period as Minister of Immigration and then showed his true lazy colours)

IMO

Meanwhile the government presses on with real issues.

Defence Force sets its sights on climate change

"The assessment released today identifies the particular security impacts which may arise, including vulnerable populations losing their economic livelihoods, increased food and water scarcity, malnutrition, climate migration, health related crises, competition for resources, land disputes and the potential for increased violence from mismanaged adaptation or migration."

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    How wierd. I thought Captain Calls were the sole prerogative of the Captain. Seems like Twyford has been a very norty boy. Hes been and gone and changed the penalties on Kiwibuild property flickers. Remember all the fuss about capital gains and how Labour woudlnt allow kiwibuild to be flicked within 5 years of buying. Well turns out Twyford made the Captains Call to change to time frame to less than 3 years with reduced penalties. Didnt run this policy change past the Prime Minister. She found out about it by watching the TV news. Bet he's in the dogbox
    That could prove to be the first real test of Taxcinda's boot; it's bound to cause a fair bit of internal strife although I doubt if we'll hear any public squeaking from Labour.

Meanwhile the government presses on with real issues.

Defence Force sets its sights on climate change

"The assessment released today identifies the particular security impacts which may arise, including vulnerable populations losing their economic livelihoods, increased food and water scarcity, malnutrition, climate migration, health related crises, competition for resources, land disputes and the potential for increased violence from mismanaged adaptation or migration."
    Looks like Santas elves are preparing the pressies for NZ First now.

Seriously - do you believe this dross "Climate Change Minister James Shaw said the report really hammered home why it was important New Zealand acted now to combat climate change in our region."If we don't, communities will suffer, and this government will not stand by doing nothing."

I remain unconvinced NZ can do anything to alter climate change at a global level and even less convinced we can do anything at a local level.

What are we going to do: everyone has Electric Cars so we can stop the climate changing over the Pacific Islands.

IMO

FYI whats actually happening in the world ,and reality is different to yours. You won't make a difference, thats your choice, you dont count, thats your choice.

FYI whats actually happening in the world ,and reality is different to yours. You won't make a difference, thats your choice, you dont count, thats your choice.
    I know I wont make a difference. Basic numbers tell you NZ wont make a difference. I'm still waiting for a list of accolades Jacinda received at the recent Greenie meeting. Her cancelling of oil exploration was supposed to send a strong message to global leaders. The silence suggests to me the world sees NZ as irrelevant. Which of course it is

That I dont count is my choice and I am perfectly comfortable with it. What I object to is greeneies exercising their choice and expecting me to carry the cost of their wooly headed thinking. Anyone care to point me to the research nutbar James Shaw is relying on when he thinks NZ's efforts will make a change to the Pacific. Of course there is none because such an idea is ludicrous.

Everone knows (or ought to) Ron Mark is a military man and he wants more toys. If James Shaw was serous about making a difference he would ensure Ron Marks toys were loaded with nukes and then fired upon Beijing and a few other Chinese cities. They in turn would retaliate and wipe NZ of the face of the earth. Then, and only then might we be remembered for making something a little larger than an insignificant difference.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I know I wont make a difference. Basic numbers tell you NZ wont make a difference. I'm still waiting for a list of accolades Jacinda received at the recent Greenie meeting. Her cancelling of oil exploration was supposed to send a strong message to global leaders. The silence suggests to me the world sees NZ as irrelevant. Which of course it is

That I dont count is my choice and I am perfectly comfortable with it. What I object to is greeneies exercising their choice and expecting me to carry the cost of their wooly headed thinking. Anyone care to point me to the research nutbar James Shaw is relying on when he thinks NZ's efforts will make a change to the Pacific. Of course there is none because such an idea is ludicrous.

Everone knows (or ought to) Ron Mark is a military man and he wants more toys. If James Shaw was serous about making a difference he would ensure Ron Marks toys were loaded with nukes and then fired upon Beijing and a few other Chinese cities. They in turn would retaliate and wipe NZ of the face of the earth. Then, and only then might we be remembered for making something a little larger than an insignificant difference.
    The cost of not acting now will be greater. If not for us, it will be much greater for the next generations. Is it an excuse if you know that something is harmful, yet continue to do it because others do?

Philospohies and ideas often start out as being the preserve of minorities and yet some of them end up becoming dominant when others realise that they make sense for society.

If you believe that climate change is occurring as the result of pollution and that NZ cannot make a difference by introducing these “woolly headed” policies by itself, then shouldn’t NZ be doing more to urge the US and China to act with us. Shouldn’t we be convincing them that climate change would be devastating for their economies and people as well as for the islands of the Pacific?