sharetrader
Page 164 of 697 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214264664 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 6963

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post

Maori iwi had their own community - Aotearoa-NZ - .
    Well, thats not entirely true. "Community" infers co-operation amongst the people within that community.

Iwi did have their own community - but Hapu tended to have their own defined territory. Given they were essentially a stone age, roaming, tribal, warring people their territory tended to overlap other Hapu territory. This of course resulted in disputes. As a community some disputes were settled by mediation. As an enlarged community the disputes were settled by inter-marriage. And as separate communities they were settled by warfare. Thats how they ensured they didnt succumb to starvation or poverty

New Zealand, with this Iwi / Hapu structure was a hostile environment pre-colonisation. Complete with leaders, commoners and slaves. And within that structure the use of language was limited depending on where in the hierarchy you sat. The most obvious / media driven published being speaking rights - or the lack of rights of women on speaking during a powhiri.

Arguably the more things change, the more things stay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Pretty easy to search for emails between yourself and a particular person or entity on email servers. About 5 seconds typing normally does it.
    Obviously she hasn't been able to delete the job offer and acceptance emails from her GMail Account. Handley (dont incompetents flock together) has managed to secure a $100,000 payout for Ministers Currans mishandling of the process. Also noticeably silent on the appointment has been our Prime Minster - whose hole she finds herself in is now somewhat deeper.

I'm hoping her TV show on Sunday will be her resignation - though I am preparing for disappointment

Edit. Oh and now we see more of how this open and transparent government is working "Woods issued the statement after Handley said the Government had reneged "

We are being ruled by a truly incompetent total group of people way out of their depth.
    Last edited by minimoke; 14-09-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Veteran novice

The technology debacle - the gift that keeps giving - for National.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    The technology debacle - the gift that keeps giving - for National.

Yeah , they need someone like Jerry Brownlee to get on the phone and give anyone who gets in the way a right royal talking to.

westerly

I have ‘diary issues’ as well
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I have ‘diary issues’ as well
    How many people does the PM have running her diary? I have no idea - but clearly they are incompetent as well.

To be fair though, it must get very tricky trying to decide which appointments should go in the Diary and which ones dont.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    How many people does the PM have running her diary? I have no idea - but clearly they are incompetent as well.

To be fair though, it must get very tricky trying to decide which appointments should go in the Diary and which ones dont.
    Talk is it’s all getting too much for her ...
    I have some sympathy but the Labour party had 9 years to groom some talent and have failed to do this . In addition the deal they signed with Winston ( we didn’t get to see) seems to give him a lot of latitude .No wonder Helen has been in the background , but is it too little too late ?

Guru

Well, thats not entirely true. "Community" infers co-operation amongst the people within that community.....
    ....New Zealand, with this Iwi / Hapu structure was a hostile environment pre-colonisation. Complete with leaders, commoners and slaves.....
    Being discussed was language and the hostile environment for Māori language - In the context of the Māori language even tribal enemies Co-operated to converse in the one language in Aotearoa! There were regional Variations as in English.

However in relation to a hostile environment more generally - the spread of the English of the colonisers so often accompanied the commercial-scale spread of slavery and the imposition of the legal and social structure of the colonisers resulting in a hostile environment to local self-determination and culture around the World. After the English had got bored with clobbering each other with the end of the English civil war they then turned to clobbering other people - or dividing and ruling - other peoples’ Lands! NZ at least escaped the commercial slavery which marked the earlier period of the British Empire.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 14-09-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Talk is it’s all getting too much for her ...
    I have some sympathy but the Labour party had 9 years to groom some talent and have failed to do this . In addition the deal they signed with Winston ( we didn’t get to see) seems to give him a lot of latitude .No wonder Helen has been in the background , but is it too little too late ?
    Well, I have zero sympathy.

Ask any new parent how hard a job it is and they will unanimously tell you it is damn tough. It was Jacindas choice to remain PM - even withe the legions of little helpers and RNZAF aircraft to help out.

It was the PM (along with the party) who decided to go with Winston. Ask anyone and they would have said that was always going to be problematic (even if you were National or Labour)

It was the PM who decided to use gender quotas as a basis for cabinet selection rather than merit. Anyone will tell you that is fraught with risk - the main one being incompetent people get promoted above their ability.

It was the PM who knew what talent (or lack of) she had to work with. She is the one who decided to push on ahead with a dehydrated puddle talent pool.

She made her bed - she can go lie in it. (as can the Labour voters who really need to be asking themselves how it is that they were so easily swayed to get in behind her).

In the meantime clock is ticking towards 4.30 on Friday afternoon. Cant be long before we hear about Meka Whaitiri.

I'm the first to admit I'm a bit dense. But how does $1.5m for Andrew Littles recent Justice Summit add up. A two day talk fest with 600 participants who had to pay their own travel and accommodation. So thats $2,500 a head or $1,250 per person per day.

Say $150 a person venue hire, leaves me around $1,100 for lunch and other incidentals per day.

Even at a budgeted $700k it still seems like a lot for two days of chin wagging

And what did they achieve?
    Well, Im bamboozled. How does Chris Hipkins get to spend $3m on two summits. This time having a chat to people in Christchurch ($1.41m - around 700 people over two days) and $1.26m for approx 700 people over two days in Auckland.

Does this government have the faintest clue what a budget it, what things cost, and how to extract value for money spent?

Someones talking the piss!