sharetrader
Page 231 of 231 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231
Results 3,451 to 3,464 of 3464
  1. #3451
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    8,448

    Default

    Pretty gratifying to see 6 Business leaders giving a big approval to Govt in todays herald.Great comments too , just a few below.

    "What score between 1 and 10 do you've the Govt's general performance in handling this crisis so far?"

    Mark Cairns CEO POT 8.

    Mark Lister Craigs 8

    Miles Hurrell Fonterra "its not about point scoring, theirs no playbook for this.Im happy with how its been handled and how they've been receptive to working with businesses

    Don Braid "Main Freight" 10 " I applaud their performance. This is the time to support the govt and their objectives.They have united NZ in this battle, and the response from our front line responders has been wonderful; putting others before themselves, and acting with courage and kindness. makes us proud to be kiwis."

    Sharon Zillner ANZ 9

    Chris Quit foodstuffs 8 and a half.

    Predictions of lockdown time from 4 weeks to as long as it takes.

    How CEOs are coping with Covid 19 coronavirus: Mainfreight's Don Braid New Zealand's top business leaders on coping with the pandemic.

    Ps am trying the herald premium delivered for 8 weeks @ $64. Really enjoying all the content through this lockdown.

  2. #3452
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    8,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That's where David Clark failed. He did not use common sense and left himself looking like a complete fool. He is the Minister of Health after all and most certainly should be leading by a perfect example.!
    Agree , he stuffed up there for sure but show me a perfect human ( besides balance

  3. #3453
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A Hawk in the Bay
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Pretty gratifying to see 6 Business leaders giving a big approval to Govt in todays herald.Great comments too , just a few below.

    "What score between 1 and 10 do you've the Govt's general performance in handling this crisis so far?"

    Mark Cairns CEO POT 8.

    Mark Lister Craigs 8

    Miles Hurrell Fonterra "its not about point scoring, theirs no playbook for this.Im happy with how its been handled and how they've been receptive to working with businesses

    Don Braid "Main Freight" 10 " I applaud their performance. This is the time to support the govt and their objectives.They have united NZ in this battle, and the response from our front line responders has been wonderful; putting others before themselves, and acting with courage and kindness. makes us proud to be kiwis."

    Sharon Zillner ANZ 9

    Chris Quit foodstuffs 8 and a half.

    Predictions of lockdown time from 4 weeks to as long as it takes.

    How CEOs are coping with Covid 19 coronavirus: Mainfreight's Don Braid New Zealand's top business leaders on coping with the pandemic.

    Ps am trying the herald premium delivered for 8 weeks @ $64. Really enjoying all the content through this lockdown.

    All essential Businesses permitted to continue operating

    Would would those on the other end of the Spectrum be saying ?

    What about those with Businesses now shut down, facing all the rest of their ongoing overhead costs ?
    (Remember Govt has only relieved them of some wage costs & made provision for guarantee of
    Bank Loans - that is if they survive the duration & they can afford to repay down the track;
    and nothing more)

    Or all those about to be made redundant ?

    Or those Casuals in Hospitality industries now being cut to No Hours / No Job ?

    Would those in later groups be saying something considerably different ?

    Just for Balance in looking at things
    Last edited by nztx; Yesterday at 01:45 AM.
    ... the fine art of sniffing out debits & credits hidden under the carpet can pay dividends ...

  4. #3454
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Yes, I most certainly can say that's not what they said. You haven't been listening to the PM, Bush or other advisers have you? All have said contradictory things. Even the enforcement is contradictory. This is why the public are rightfully confused and angry.
    And thankfully the police have no enforcement powers to keep us in lockdown. Although Soiman did say he would support the govt if they were to change the law to give the police more power.

  5. #3455
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    11,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    And thankfully the police have no enforcement powers to keep us in lockdown. Although Soiman did say he would support the govt if they were to change the law to give the police more power.
    State of Emergency - means police actually have those powers, I believe?

  6. #3456
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    State of Emergency - means police actually have those powers, I believe?
    No not yet they do not as Stuff showed the other day. They are still constrained by the Acts. So if you are in a vehicle with someone else that is not your bubble and they pull you over, all they can do is warn you and not arrest you. They can only enter your property if they think that there is someone with covid-19 infected that is harming the greater wellbeing of the public.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...lockdown-rules

    WHAT THE POLICE GUIDELINES SAY

    The document starts by telling officers there is no curfew in place, and people are still allowed to move around as long it does not have the potential to further spread the virus.

  7. #3457
    Veteran novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    All essential Businesses permitted to continue operating

    Would would those on the other end of the Spectrum be saying ?
    Good point, nztx. There's a certain bias in that "survey"!

  8. #3458
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A Hawk in the Bay
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I see just a few essential sectors left unscathed or with minor effects if the lock down continues if no further "Real" (not just Govt pick up a % of Wages) assistance to the other operators & sectors is forthcoming from Govt

    There will be a large sea of broken insolvent businesses which will be incapable of being restarted.

    The time for Govt is now to wake up & act, not next week

    Similarly why are Wages Subsidies in places still not paid out even after 10+ days ?


    The Govt must take responsibility for the potential ensuing Shambles it has created, if it expects any sort of real recovery
    & a lot of these businesses to restart, rather than Robertson & mates keeping their mouths shut and heads in the sand

    It's all very good & well a Govt adopting a 'Try to save the worker, but sacrifice the Business' approach, but the country
    expects a far far more Responsible Approach from any Government in Power than Labour have shown to date

    Guaranteeing Loans for Business doesn't cut it nor any excuse for what they should be doing in times they have orchestrated
    on the Country - Govt needs to come up with the wholesale bucks if they expect any or most business to fare through this
    and that's not a minor"here's a subsidy - keep them employed it all has to land in the employee's hands" type of job


    The Unions need to wake up and force Govt's hand on this if they expect their members to even have jobs in the future
    and also get their heads out of the sand as they now are, suggesting closed down companies such as Bauer should have
    applied for the subsidy. In these times some commonsense is expected & Joe Public will be seeing right through
    the Union Media spats for exactly what they represent
    Last edited by nztx; Yesterday at 04:59 PM. Reason: added further
    ... the fine art of sniffing out debits & credits hidden under the carpet can pay dividends ...

  9. #3459
    Dilettante
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    3,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    I see just a few essential sectors left unscathed or with minor effects if the lock down continues if no further "Real" (not just Govt pick up a % of Wages) assistance to the other operators & sectors is forthcoming from Govt

    There will be a large sea of broken insolvent businesses which will be incapable of being restarted.

    The time for Govt is now to wake up & act, not next week

    Similarly why are Wages Subsidies in places still not paid out even after 10+ days ?


    The Govt must take responsibility for the potential ensuing Shambles it has created, if it expects any sort of real recovery
    & a lot of these businesses to restart, rather than Robertson & mates keeping their mouths shut and heads in the sand

    It's all very good & well a Govt adopting a 'Try to save the worker, but sacrifice the Business' approach, but the country
    expects a far far more Responsible Approach from any Government in Power than Labour have shown to date

    Guaranteeing Loans for Business doesn't cut it nor any excuse for what they should be doing in times they have orchestrated
    on the Country - Govt needs to come up with the wholesale bucks if they expect any or most business to fare through this
    and that's not a minor"here's a subsidy - keep them employed it all has to land in the employee's hands" type of job


    The Unions need to wake up and force Govt's hand on this if they expect their members to even have jobs in the future
    and also get their heads out of the sand as they now are, suggesting closed down companies such as Bauer should have
    applied for the subsidy. In these times some commonsense is expected & Joe Public will be seeing right through
    the Union Media spats for exactly what they represent
    Very good couple of posts nztx. I have been reluctant to criticise the Government too much so far but am increasingly concerned about the apparent lack of any realistic plan to assist small and medium sized businesses continuing, tens of thousands of which are going to the wall as we speak. Not helped by the wage subsidies not being paid out. I am also concerned that there appears to be plan whatsoever on how to restart the country again and sadly I don't think this inexperienced Cabinet is capable of it. Some very expensive mistakes are being made I'm afraid.
    Last edited by iceman; Yesterday at 10:54 PM.

  10. #3460
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    11,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Very good couple of posts nztx. I have been reluctant to criticise the Government too much so far but am increasingly concerned about the apparent lack of any realistic plan to assist small and medium sized businesses continuing, tens of thousands of which are going to the wall as we speak. Not helped by the wage subsidies not being paid out. I am also concerned that there appears to be plan whatsoever on how to restart the country again and sadly I don't think this inexperienced Cabinet is capable of it. Some very expensive mistakes are being made I'm afraid.
    There's not one single real businessperson or farmer in the whole freaking cabinet.

    That's the problem.

  11. #3461
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    5,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    There's not one single real businessperson or farmer in the whole freaking cabinet.

    That's the problem.
    Just to keep this a bit in balance.

    NZ had so far 1 Covid-19 death, this is 0.2 ppm of the population;

    The US (with many crooked and corrupt business people running the show) approaching today the 10000 dead people mark (mainly due to the ineptness of the top decision maker), this is 30 ppm of their population.

    The UK (with many crooked and corrupt business people running the show) approaching today the 5000 dead people mark (mainly due to the ineptness of the top decision maker), this is 75 ppm of the British population.

    It sort of feels better to survive in a country which is run by a government which cares about people than to die in a country which is run by narcissist and inept business people who only care about their personal wealth and clout.

    While I agree, that there are lots of things which still could have been handled better in NZ - on an international stage our government does not really need to hide.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  12. #3462
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    8,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    All essential Businesses permitted to continue operating

    Would would those on the other end of the Spectrum be saying ?

    What about those with Businesses now shut down, facing all the rest of their ongoing overhead costs ?
    (Remember Govt has only relieved them of some wage costs & made provision for guarantee of
    Bank Loans - that is if they survive the duration & they can afford to repay down the track;
    and nothing more)

    Or all those about to be made redundant ?

    Or those Casuals in Hospitality industries now being cut to No Hours / No Job ?

    Would those in later groups be saying something considerably different ?

    Just for Balance in looking at things
    No idea just quoting from an NZ Herald article. Anecdotally everyone but one person who forgot and tried to invade my two metre space i have spoken to are big supporters of what our govt is doing.

  13. #3463
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Very good couple of posts nztx. I have been reluctant to criticise the Government too much so far but am increasingly concerned about the apparent lack of any realistic plan to assist small and medium sized businesses continuing, tens of thousands of which are going to the wall as we speak. Not helped by the wage subsidies not being paid out. I am also concerned that there appears to be plan whatsoever on how to restart the country again and sadly I don't think this inexperienced Cabinet is capable of it. Some very expensive mistakes are being made I'm afraid.
    It will be interesting to see how business are evaluated to see which should survive and which shouldn't.
    Not all small and medium businesses will be worth resusitating - some just should fail and make way for others to fill the space better.

  14. #3464
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    8,448

    Default


    Liam Dann: 8 reasons NZ is in good shape to get through this

    8 Sane leaders

    Our politicians, on both sides, might be a quirky earnest bunch but, relative to what we're seeing in places like the US, that's a very good thing.
    The Opposition has been prepared to work collaboratively through this and is now doing a good job of pushing the Government on specific issues, which in turn are, mostly, being addressed.
    Mistakes will be made and some things may happen slower than they should but as along as the Government keeps listening and adapting they can be forgiven.

    Ive taken out an 8 week sub for $64 to i can access all the herald , well worth it imo and supportive of journalists.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •