sharetrader
Page 298 of 697 FirstFirst ... 198248288294295296297298299300301302308348398 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 6963
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    The Greens are pushing the Marxist notion of Citizen's Assembly. Where 100+ people are randomly selected and formulate policy for the government to implement. Which means of course that you can do away with elections, you just have an administration. Might as well call that administration the Communist Party of the People's Republic of .... (Fill in country name). Scary stuff.
    They are? Certainly sounds beyond scary! Can you cite a reference?

The Greens are pushing the Marxist notion of Citizen's Assembly. Where 100+ people are randomly selected and formulate policy for the government to implement. Which means of course that you can do away with elections, you just have an administration. Might as well call that administration the Communist Party of the People's Republic of .... (Fill in country name). Scary stuff.
    You are saying this is Green policy? Haven't heard that about that one, certainly sounds like one of these made up urban myths. But anyway - no matter what it is, what has this to do with MMP?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Supplementary member was my choice. MMP gives to much power to parties who have just scrapped over the line. e.g. NZ First. I still shudder when I picture Peters on TV with 5% of the vote advising the nation who he had decided would be the govt.
    At least under MMP the parties should sort out the coalition and go to the GG who could make the announcement.
    Peters did it in the most arrogant way possible. Puke making. And surely a party should have to gain more than the minimum 5% before demanding the deputy PM role. MMP has room for improvement, although SMP would still be better IMO. Amen.
    I guess it is the old battle between being fair and being pragmatic ...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=10767632

SM reduces the voice of the minorities and diversity and makes it easier for the arbitrary and / or populist winner of the day to run the next 3 years a quasi-dictatorship. Quite dangerous if you consider that one fake facebook story these days can determine the outcome of an election.

I think I prefer fair, even if it is a bit more tedious ...
    ----

Guru

They are? Certainly sounds beyond scary! Can you cite a reference?
    I read an article a few days ago where the Greens were front and centre at a seminar on this stuff. They had input from Ireland and the UK where apparently this Citizen's Assembly stuff is gaining traction and has been trialled.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    You are saying this is Green policy? Haven't heard that about that one, certainly sounds like one of these made up urban myths. But anyway - no matter what it is, what has this to do with MMP?
    I don't know if it is Greens Policy. The article I read said they were central to a seminar held on it recently. The attendees sounded like a who's who of leftie agitators. Moana Jackson's name was mentioned along with Chloe Swarbrick. Google Citizens Assembly. It's breaking out all over. It would seem the 20thC didn't teach us much.

What has it to do with MMP? A Citizen's Assembly is an unelected list of people. Sound Familiar? It would be an easy transition from MMP.

Legend

I don't know if it is Greens Policy. The article I read said they were central to a seminar held on it recently. The attendees sounded like a who's who of leftie agitators. Moana Jackson's name was mentioned along with Chloe Swarbrick. Google Citizens Assembly. It's breaking out all over. It would seem the 20thC didn't teach us much.

What has it to do with MMP? A Citizen's Assembly is an unelected list of people. Sound Familiar? It would be an easy transition from MMP.
    Certainly a few articles about it. Don't think I'll panic yet though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=citi...w=1707&bih=900

Guru

Certainly a few articles about it. Don't think I'll panic yet though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=citi...w=1707&bih=900
    Part of our government is developing and pushing for this. They will use the Green/Climate Change narrative to usher it in the back door. The Climate Change ideaology is a perfect fit and smokescreen to push for Marxist reforms. That is not to say that the average person concerned with Climate Change is Marxist. However the hysteria being developed will and is, in my view, being used to push Marxist agendas.

Labour going to stamp out foreigners donating to political parties

Bit of joke really ...so many ways around it

Suppose it’s a matter of being seen to act without making any difference.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

There are ways around many laws, regulations, rules - does that mean we should just not bother trying? If National was doing this would you be calling it a joke, or giving them credit for trying?

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Labour going to stamp out foreigners donating to political parties

Bit of joke really ...so many ways around it

Suppose it’s a matter of being seen to act without making any difference.

Jeez - is this how fake news is made up?

I haven't seen any evidence that this is Greens or governments policy. And really - looking at the idea - it seems to be nothing different than a panel of random people developing some policy which may or may not be adopted by people who are properly elected and authorized to make this decision. I don't know whether this is s a good idea, but it sounds to me quite less serious than e.g. the idea that a panel of twelve un-elected random people is to decide about someone else's freedom and in some countries about her/his life.

They call this panel a "jury" and they do this in many countries (including New Zealand) for ages. While I don't think it is a particular good way to achieve justice - I would not call it 'Marxist'. Do you?

I really think you should worry more about the populist liars (Trump, Johnson, Putin, Erdogan & Co) who actually are dismantling freedom and democracy in their respective countries as we speak instead of building up a "Marxist" strawman.
    ----