sharetrader
Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162 LastLast

I ask the question. If an ordinary employee in the gas sector in Taranaki earns over $100k per annum in a low skilled job, how on earth are they going to find something that pays anywhere near that amount with no skills.
    Stick to the strategy

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Apparently we have 10 years of current known gas reserves left. What happens after that? 7,000 local jobs in Taranaki gone. $000m's in royalties gone. Absolutely zero change to global CO2 emissions.
    Not an issue for the current government - they will be out before that and just intend to blame National for the rising unemployment Labour created ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I ask the question. If an ordinary employee in the gas sector in Taranaki earns over $100k per annum in a low skilled job, how on earth are they going to find something that pays anywhere near that amount with no skills.
    No problem - Cindy will increase the minimum wage to $48 per hour. If she manages to devalue the NZD at the same time by 60%, we might even internationally survive. Problem solved ... and just think about all the additional taxes she will get from this wage hike. Win-win.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Veteran novice

The term "our nuclear moment" seems to be spot on. Just as we were content to shelter under someone else's nuclear umbrella, so we are now happy to continue to run our economy on someone else's energy. I wonder how long it's going to be before we're able to harness the power of the sun - or the wind! - in order to continue our love affair with aeroplanes?

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Apparently we have 10 years of current known gas reserves left. What happens after that? 7,000 local jobs in Taranaki gone. $000m's in royalties gone. Absolutely zero change to global CO2 emissions.
    Meanwhile in 2017 New Zealand oil imports hit an all time high:

“Oil imports reached their highest level on record,
    up 5.4% or 3.2 million barrels, driven by a 41% increase in
    diesel imports.”
    Sell the hype, buy the fear. Always second guess the sentiment but trust in the fundamentals

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Meanwhile in 2017 New Zealand oil imports hit an all time high:

“Oil imports reached their highest level on record,
    up 5.4% or 3.2 million barrels, driven by a 41% increase in
    diesel imports.”
    CO2 emitted by burning 1 Btu of diesel = 161 pounds. Co2 emitted by burning 1 btu of natural gas = 117 pounds. Good one Labour - kill off a few more polar bears why don't you.

And in the meantime our neighbours are going to reopen a shuttered coal fired power station at Redbank so they can mine cryptocurrencies.

The word inside the government is that they wanted to go much, much further, but it was Winston who held them up in cabinet. Labour and the Greens wanted all existing oil and gas exploration halted as well.

https://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2018/04/h...-in-listening/

Not looking good comrades
    Sell the hype, buy the fear. Always second guess the sentiment but trust in the fundamentals

There will be oohing and ahhing from the treasury benches about the exploration ban. When Kiwi's are forced to eat cold baked beans by candle light there will be running and screaming.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Dilettante

So despite all the screaming in opposition, Labour and its coalition partners (including sacked councillor Eugine Sage), have decided to follow the previous Government's time table for Canterbury regional council's return to full democracy at next year's local body election. Cindy Astern at work once more.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    So despite all the screaming in opposition, Labour and its coalition partners (including sacked councillor Eugine Sage), have decided to follow the previous Government's time table for Canterbury regional council's return to full democracy at next year's local body election. Cindy Astern at work once more.
    Its all different when you actually get in the driving seat eh

Grant seemed to enjoy himself at the Comm Games
    “That's perhaps true for you. But it's not true for me”

"The primary barrier is the upcoming representation review, which would set the electoral boundaries for the next election. It is likely to be completed part way through next year.

Because the existing boundaries were drawn under the current ECan Act, it is unclear how all 13 councillors would be elected until the review was completed.

Acting ECan chairman Steve Lowndes, who supports a return to democracy, said he hoped the Government would not force elections."

Waiting a year is nothing compared with Nationals flagrant abuse of democracy.

westerly

Oh jeez. Adern Meets the German Chancellor. And the best she can come up with is a stuffed kiwi. Classy, and oh so apt.

Dilettante

Ardern might be meeting something else and much more difficult if this FB post I've seen today and had confirmed is reliable:
    "There's a very high profile certain fisherman enjoying name suppression for pending cocaine charges/sentences. Said fisherman should enjoy the home detention while soon to be stay at home dad and a well connected loudmouth. Hang on to your "steak n cheese peeps""

No idea what all this millennial stuff means but someone sent it to me and told me it had something to do with high levels in the Labour Party. Probably rubbish.

Back to business.Hope Cindy Astern is enjoying her first official trip to Europe with her beau.
    Last edited by iceman; 19-04-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Ardern might be meeting something else and much more difficult if this FB post I've seen today and had confirmed is reliable:
    "There's a very high profile certain fisherman enjoying name suppression for pending cocaine charges/sentences. Said fisherman should enjoy the home detention while soon to be stay at home dad and a well connected loudmouth. Hang on to your "steak n cheese peeps""

No idea what all this millennium stuff means but someone sent it to me and told me it had something to do with high levels in the Labour Party. Probably rubbish.

Back to business.Hope Cindy Astern is enjoying her first official trip to Europe with her beau.
    I think that might be a bit of fantasy - ranking up there with NZ saving the world and polar bears by stopping oil exploration